The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-03-2011, 06:29 PM   #1
magicoolbus

Vintage A/C installation completed

First, I must appologize as I didn't take any photos during the installation, but I thought many of you would like to see the completed installation.

I also know that some of the purists out there will not like my decision to cut holes into the dash for the vents, but it's my truck right?!! Vintage Air sure-fit for the 55-59 cabs has the outer vents installed in a housing that's attached underneath the dash. I thought putting them into the dash itself would look better, and I do believe I'm correct. The center vents were installed per the instructions, I did add some riv-nuts to reinstall the cowl-vent knobs.

I will add pictures of the compressor install in the next post.

In the drivers side vent, notice the two red jeweled lights. The one in between the light and choke knobs is a e-brake flasher. The one above is a Alternator light.
Attached Images

1962 VW Beetle
1957 Willys CJ5

Last edited by magicoolbus; 04-03-2011 at 06:32 PM. Reason: added more info
magicoolbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 06:39 PM   #2
magicoolbus

Re: Vintage A/C installation completed

Here's a shot of the Alternator and Compressor install. Not a great picture of the compressor, but it is directly under the Alt, where the generator would have been. I did the gen to alternator conversion during the a/c install too. Note my windshield washer install, it is operated by a foot pedal, right next to the dimmer switch.

If anyone is in the middle of or contemplating adding A/C, please feel free to ask me any Q's.

Attachment 724750
Attached Images

1962 VW Beetle
1957 Willys CJ5
Old 04-03-2011, 08:14 PM   #3
tmoble

whatta cool deal. how does it blow? lots and lots of cold air? is it noisy in the cab? Any issues with the compressor install?
tmoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 09:18 PM   #4
Hubscrub
Cruzin

i would cut holes in my dash anyday for some AC air blowing on me they look right at home anyhow.

Back to the Fifties 59 https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...NAeStpydfrcj_U

Proverbs 3:5,6

"Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible to travel across the country from coast to coast without seeing anything."Charles Kuralt

In memory of our first baby daughter, daddy and mommy love you.
Danica Grace 6/26/14
Hubscrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 09:23 PM   #5
sandnuriz

Looks great nice job!

It's your ride build it the way you want !!!!!!!!!!
sandnuriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 09:53 PM   #6
magicoolbus

The kit modifies the switch in the factory heater control and is a 3 speed switch. When I did a bench test, I could only get low and medium, did some email back and forths with VA and figured out that the repop bezel wasn't allowing the switch to go all the way to the high position. After some careful metal removal, viola, tons of air.

Installed and on the road I rarely use anything more than low as it's only been 95 or 100 here in AZ yet Will probably have to bump it up to medium or high here in a few weeks. Seriously, I am able to get about 35 to 40 degrees temp drop. I had my thermometer on the farthest vent from the blower yesterday and it was 39 degrees. Chilly!

As you can see, I got the ABS radiator shroud from VA, it was not a great fit. It did require substantial plastic removal. I do believe it is for a V8 install with a 6cyl header. I also put in a coolant recovery tank, el cheapo from autozone. If it works good, I will opt for the nice stainless one from speedway. I also probably made a mistake keeping the stock 4 bladed fan as it just doesn't move alot of air. My temps do climb a bit when in stop and go traffic. Will see how it goes for a while as the outside air temps continue to increase. Might even go with an electric set up. We'll see.

As far as the compressor install went. It was super duper simple. Just remove old generator, attatch supplied brackets and bolt it up. The alternator installed equally easy. The V-8 sure fit unit has more hard lines from the compressor to the evap, but since the 6 cyl application puts the compressor on the drivers side, your left up to your own devices to come up with a way to route the hoses. I will go out and snap a shot and show you how I did it.

First one is from front, one suction hose on one side and the discharge on the other. The second one is a better picture of the compressor and alternator install.
Attached Images

1962 VW Beetle
1957 Willys CJ5
Old 04-03-2011, 10:06 PM   #7
tmoble

got a shot of the condensor install? it's in the conventional location in front of the radiator, on the front of the core support?

BTW, I would never have thought there could be such a clean compressor install on a 6. cool deal. You're in Mesa? I'm in Glendale. You know of any truck get-togethers in the Valley?
Old 04-03-2011, 10:13 PM   #8
tmoble

You'll probably have to do something about that shroud before it gets hot. The fan is completely buried in it. At least the back half of the fan needs to be out of the shroud. It's not well known how automotive fans work, but what they do is throw the air off the ends of the blades. If the shroud covers the whole fan you might be better off without it. I have a flex fan with pretty aggressive pitch on the blades, they work good at lower RPMS like a truck 6 cylinder runs. It's yours if you want it, PM me your phone number, we''l work something out. Don't throw that stock too far though, guys are wanting those things for their correct-o restores.
Old 04-03-2011, 10:47 PM   #9
waybad

I'm looking for ideas for vent placement,, yours I like,, I thought about using the ctr vent from the 68-72 for the ctr vents,, cut away it's yours!!!
waybad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 11:41 PM   #10
magicoolbus

tmoble, I didn't know that about the fans. I will make the modification ASAP. Thanks for the heads up. I think I will just take off the shroud and see what the temps are and then go from there. The Fan is definitely buried.

The condenser is just in front of the radiator in the header, the VA bracketry made the install pretty simple, it places it about 1 inch infront of the rad. FYI

Don't know of any truck get togethers, the pavillions is always a good event to see lots of vintage iron.
1962 VW Beetle
1957 Willys CJ5
Old 04-04-2011, 12:37 AM   #11
tmoble

Saturday nights I get off work at 6:30 PM at 35th Ave and 101. I tried it a couple times but the show was about over by the time I got there.
Old 04-04-2011, 12:48 PM   #12
jimig1

I like the look of that. I didn't want to modify my dash but I may have to copy your idea. It look like it could of been factory. Very nice
MSRA Member

I went to a bookstore and asked the saleswoman, "Where's the self-help section?" She said if she told me, it would defeat the purpose.
-George Carlin
jimig1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 01:06 PM   #13
OrrieG

Can you post a shot of how the hoses were routed thru the firewall?

On the side vents, there is room to get a hose down into the kick panel area for vents to discharge up high in the kick panel.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 01:56 PM   #14
MrDude_1

I think the round in dash vents look very nice.
MrDude_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 09:48 PM   #15
entourageguy
Yellow truck club

I think that worked out very nice. Good job.

Brian ......

My hub garage address
http://www.hubgarage.com/mygarage/59apache
I gue$$ everything has it'$ price
ALL GONE NOW

59 Chev Apache
PRAISE THE LOWERED
350 700r lokar shifter
power MII front end, shockwaves
tilt, 4 wheel discs
4-link and bags
10 bolt limited
entourageguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 10:28 PM   #16
mr48chev

Very nice and well done all around. The vents in the dash look like they came from the factory that way.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 11:38 PM   #17
magicoolbus

Orrie, I will get those for you in a minute.

Took advice and removed the shroud, wow am I a dope, it is tons better. I guess I could blame adding the shroud idea on my cousin who said that it is needed when you add the condenser, oh well, live and learn. Here's a pic of my thermo and my cluster after 15 minutes at 1500 rpm.
Attached Images

1962 VW Beetle
1957 Willys CJ5
Old 04-05-2011, 12:02 AM   #18
magicoolbus

I do believe that there is room on either side for an aux vent set up to blow up your skirt, I think using an airplane type overhead vent would be a good way to go, see pic, courtesy of a boeing 757. (I've got a dozen of them, going to use them on my rear air install in my 69 burb).

Orrie these the pics you need. I used some 90 degree elbows to make the heater hose routing a bit more tidy. There is an ABS piece that covers this whole thing. I was able to remove it for you as I put velcro (hook) on the piece and it adheres to the loop carpet very well. No screws needed like VA suggests and it's a piece of cake to remove if I ever have too. The other pic is from the engine bay looking under the battery box. The template that VA supplies has you cut some holes larger and some new ones to size and I got a plug for the ones I didn't use. (they were there from the previous heater install)

Anything else, just let me know.
Attached Images

1962 VW Beetle
1957 Willys CJ5
Old 04-05-2011, 12:07 AM   #19
magicoolbus

Oh, thanks to all for the kind comments. Next up is a one piece window install, going to use blackdiesel's faq for guidance.
1962 VW Beetle
1957 Willys CJ5
Old 04-05-2011, 12:09 AM   #20
OrrieG

Thanks, your photo confirms what I have been running into. Mine must have been an earlier generation, it did not have the hard lines that "U" back to under the battery box. The PO must have ran the lines outside in the fender like Classic Air setups. I've got the heater lines in just to the outside of the battery box, still scratching my head on the ac lines.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 10:17 AM   #21
tj77539

Hey Magic.
I know its been 9 years since you posted this thread but I love what you did with the vents. I spent HOURS searching the web for vent placement ideas. I'm currently getting a VA system in my 57. I showed the guys installing it these pictures and they are telling me that the area were you placed the vents isn't flat it's curved. They also think the picts are from a diff year truck. LOL. I assured them the truck is the same year and the area has to be flat. Did you face any issues putting them were you did. I know the dash is pretty small. Do they fit flush? Also do you think you could measure exactly where the vents are actually placed? That would allow me to give these nonbelievers actual measurements. LOL1 Hopefully the Classic Truck Gods are listening and this message finds you!!!!!! Any help would be greatly appreciated

TJ
tj77539 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 11:33 AM   #22
_Ogre

magicoolbus hasn't posted in 2 yrs.
if you pm him it may send an email notice

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 05:49 PM   #23
clegg

Yes, old thread, but i do like the vent placement . Looks way better than the busted aftermarket looking plastic.
clegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 11:47 PM   #24
Johns327

VA does sell corner vent mounts are for the curved dash, I know because I have them. Bought them in January this year, there a pain to find on the web site, download their catalog. But as with everything they sell, $$.
I removed the three knobs in the center of the dash and mounted that center vent and eliminated all that under dash vents. VA sells a general purpose 4 port vent adapter that I put in and connected the vents to.
It’s not tough, just a little unnerving cutting big holes on painted parts.
Attached Images

Old 06-28-2020, 12:01 AM   #25
Johns327

Bottom of the page.
You have to buy vent centers separately.

https://www.vintageair.com/surefit/c...55&model=Truck