The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-17-2012, 06:35 PM   #1
SPANKY1960GMC

1960 gmc 4x4 power steering upgrade

Hey all
I am a new member to 67-72 truck forum . I thought I saw a photo of a power steering gearbox in a leaf spring 4x4 Chevy on Google one of you may have posted . I have a 1960 GMC 4x4 short fleet side with sbc v8. I have installed a 1980 Chevy 4x4 front axle probably a corporate 10 bolt. Have the discs brakes hooked up, and iam working on installing the 1980 4x4 power steering components . My v8 is using the front two lower block bolt holes for the motor mount I think i can design a bracket for the pump.

My problem is mounting the 1980 4x4 steering gearbox ,It seems my 1960 GMC 4x4 leaf spring and round front frame cross member differs from other 2 wd setups. It had a large v6 originaly.

So my question: Has anyone done this ,do you have any parts ,kits ,photo's , contacts ,advise ,help?

I don't think the 2wd adaptors will work with what i have

Love my truck hate the steering

PS I iam not sure i am posting this the best way could use a little help

Thanks Spanky
Level Cross , NC
SPANKY1960GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 08:53 AM   #2
chevy_man5
GMC's n H.D.'s too!

Re: 1960 gmc 4x4 power steering upgrade

Hey Spanky, it is good to see another 1960 4x4 on here.

I can't help with the power steering though, sorry!!

1960 GMC 4x4 Babe (the Blue Ox) - Build Thread
chevy_man5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 10:32 AM   #3
padresag

you either have to make an adaptor plate or buy one to mount the steering box . I do not know the dimensions of the frame in the 60-62 4 x 4 as to whether or not that they are the same as the 63-66 4 x 4 frames
that frt mounting creates a problem for mounting as the m/mount bracket mounts to where the p/s pump brkts mount to in the 63 and up sbc(perhaps 60-62 also). early ones with that mounting had a p/s pump mounted to the back of the generator. check with this fellow as he may be able to help you with pump mounting http://www.chevyps.com as he sells p/s kits for early sbc in 57-59
you can more than likely get catain fabs p/s box adaptor to work on your frame. he is here on this forum http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/member.php?u=30278
you will make something work
you can also fab side eng mounting for your eng , which will allow you to put on std pump mounting on
p/s box in 64 4 x 4

By rondavid at 2011-01-24

By rondavid at 2011-01-24
ron
padresag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 01:33 AM   #4
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Welcome to the forum

I have sold several of my power steering box adapter plates to guys using them on 4x4's. The template for the 2wd's doesn't work, but I do include 3 pics and dimensions for installation on the 4x4's. I agree with Ron. I think you would be better off in converting to the standard side motor mounts. You can use the motor mount crossmember from a '67-'72 4x4. You will just need to drill the bolt holes. In the end I think it would be less work than messing around trying to mount a PS pump with what you have. I'm not sure if converting to a long water pump would work any better with your front mounts. That will depend on just what small block you have and which heads are on it.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 01:39 AM   #5
padresag

here is what the 67-72 4 x 4 eng crossmember looks like installed in a 64

By rondavid at 2009-03-04
ron
padresag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 09:06 PM   #6
SPANKY1960GMC

That is more like it
Thanks to all that replied to my post

So this is what happened

after a couple weeks of no reply I got bored and took a piece of steal , propane torch , hammer and hacksaw and fashioned a power steering pump bracket. It mounts to the head, intake, exhaust ,and old alt bracket, pivoted on one bolt, almost straight up above the old position .This puts the pump right in front and up against the exhaust manifold with only the steal bracket in between If the exhaust cooks my power steering fluid I may try to remount the eng remembering there is only about 4" between the block and frame where the P.S. pump mount normally is. Next i put the hack saw up and bought a saws all, cut up more scrap, made a bolt hole template, and aligned it to the upper old gearbox bracket hole in frame and drilled three new holes ,the frame is sandwiched between two 1/4" steal bars and spacers on the gearbox side of the frame. Ordered a bolt on rag" joint just came in" and will need to cut the steering shaft next.

Anyway nothing has been tested yet .I want to thank all that replied .So unless someone out there knows for sure that the exhaust will fry my pump or steering fluid ,,, I will give this a try and of course post my modest attempt if it doesn't fly apart.

Thanks again "this site did not let me down"

Spanky
Quote:
Hey! don't hold it against me I had to try something
Old 03-20-2012, 10:12 PM   #7
chevy_man5
GMC's n H.D.'s too!

Just FYI for future questions, if you don't get a response within a few days, you might need to bump it back to the top. There are so many threads, that they get kicked down quickly. I found you by accident by searching for 1960 GMC threads. My posting bumped you up, and caught the attention of someone who actually knew how to help you.

Post some pictures of your beast please!!

Good Luck!

Old 06-30-2012, 09:06 AM   #8
chevy_man5
GMC's n H.D.'s too!

Any updates Spanky?

KroAutomotiveInc just got a 1960 GMC 4x4. Now I think there are (4) of us on here.

Kro, you, Slo Rides, and me. Slo Rides hasn't been on here since February 2010 though.

Old 07-06-2012, 06:53 PM   #9
SPANKY1960GMC

Hey Jason

I had to make all of the brackets from scrap, in my case i don't think there is any standerd kit or adaptor plates I just had t cut drill and make adjustments as i went.The first test felt great very pleased with brakeing and easy steering but i have not given it any road tests yet .
I am trying to rebuild my dana 44 and had to order a tool then i can test alittle moore. Will put together photo's showing what i did but need to clean somethings up. Ill try not to take to long.

thanks for the email Spanky
Old 07-23-2012, 05:20 PM   #10
SPANKY1960GMC

Ok here's my 1960 GMC 4x4 with 350 sbc. I installed a 1980 chevy 10 bolt corperate axle,power steering box, arm, and pump . I had installed a power brake master cyl and assist from what I think it was a 1972 blazer years ago in hopes to increase stopping power, not much help.

I understand this is some real Frankinstein sh@t and nothing has been road tested yet but just to give some encoragement that it can be done, even by someone as back yard as me .

First the axle bolted right up after I drilled out the holes for the leaf spring bolt heads, and had new U-bolts made.Next I made a pattern of the PS gearbox bolt holes "use some thin metal easy to cut and drill" .After removing the old gearbox ,I used the top original gearbox bolt hole mounted my pattern and drilled three new bolt holes in the frame.To strengthen the mount I used four 1/4 " plates & steal bars I had and sandwitched the frame between them ran bolts washers large nuts "for spacers" through the frame and into the PS gearbox .Grinding anything that prevented the bars from sitting flat against the frame. Cut the steering shaft ground diam off a little from the end of the shaft and fit a mid sixty corvette bolt on rag joint to it"drilled out holes to make it fit".Also bought a 4" raised knuckle steering arm to match the lift of my truck.

The pump was a lot of trial and error smaller steal bars one large 1/4" plate hammered into a shape to hold the pump and allow movement for the belt adjust. I mounted a bolt to the plate for the pump to rotate on then marked where the slot would be, drilled, cut, and ground it untill it bench tested. I left the plate large so I could mount it to as many motor bolts as possible,"I cut my bolts and made some studs so all of the bolt hole threads in the motor were used" .I found that if I left the lower alt bracket bolt in I could rotate the alt up above the PS pump then keep cutting and bending brackets until it stayed there. When I started the motor I found that the alt vibrated too much so I cut a plate to mount under the carborator, made a bracket to come up over the alt and grab the top of the alt adjust bracket that stopped the vibration.I will have to modify the oil filler tube and I'm still not sure what to do with the anti sway bar yet .

I know what it looks like , and some of you are real artists fabricating I am not, and I literaly started with a hammer and hack saw .I now understand why there is no one kit that fits all, the frame is the easy part, but due to different engines, and mounting techniques, the pump is more challenging .I will say the upgrade to power discs brakes and power steering is well worth while, the truck steers like a dream and stops on a dime, just like you always wanted it to , For safety sake use over sized steal and hard bolts. If you can get some professional fabricating help please do . Best of luck don't give up.

P.S.
if you have any questions or better solutions please feel free to send them to me

Thanks Spanky
Attached Images

Old 07-24-2012, 02:08 AM   #11
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

If you get yourself a power steering pump and brackets for a small block with a short water pump, you could do away with all that bracketry for the alternator and PS pump. What you have there is a PS pump for a small block with a long water pump.
Old 07-24-2012, 05:08 PM   #12
SPANKY1960GMC

Thanks for the reply Captain

I spoke with a supplier of aftermarket brackets they did not suggess that, if I can pick one up cheap I will try and see if it works .If it uses the two lower engine bolt holes Iam currently useing them for solid motormounts .Thought about changing motor mounts, to free bolt holes up but not sure if there is room for the bracket /pump the way eng sits between frame rails. Heres a picture let me know if you think it would fit.

Thanks Spanky
Attached Images

Old 07-25-2012, 01:21 AM   #13
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

I did not know you were using those front holes for motor mounts. Solid motor mounts huh? The short water pump power steering brackets will not work then.

There would be room to clear the frame rails. The '68-'72 trucks' frames are the same width. I like to use the '68-'72 pickup power steering brakets. The '68 and earlier car brackets should work also.
Old 07-25-2012, 07:51 PM   #14
SPANKY1960GMC

Hey Captain

I may save it for a winter job or until my creation blows up, but i would like to run a more stock setup with relocated motor mounts. I included a nother picture the engine sits about 4" from top of the frame rail to corner of the block. Let me know if you still think it will fit. Do i need a 68 bracket and pump or just the bracket "are the pumps the same?" do you think the frame pad that my present mounts are sitting on would be in the way?

again thanks for everyones input

Spanky
Attached Images