The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-07-2018, 09:09 PM   #1
cdub2010

Any farmers / tractor people here?

I have a hunting cabin on a 40 acre plot of land. Im looking for an inexpensive tractor to use for cutting grass and brush, post hole digging, driveway plowing / grading and maybe some hauling work. I will not be farming as I don't live close to this property. Im a complete noob to tractors, someone else has been keeping up the property, my turn now.

I have always liked the looks of the old Ford tractors, but im not sure they are practical for my needs. Im really looking at 10K max. What should I be looking for.
cdub2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 09:31 PM   #2
BLT gmc

Re: Any farmers / tractor people here?

I have a similar situation. I use a 1975 Ford 4600. About 55 hp. Gas burner. Think blue Ford tractor.

Gas vs Diesel. Each have their trade offs. Gas for cold weather starting. Diesel fuel typically will stay good much longer than gas ( assuming you can avoid the algae issues). Diesels give more hours of service, if properly maintained. I find rebuilding gas models easier. Diesels cost a little more work on.

Ford dealer support is hit/miss. Some have to travel a long way to get to the dealer. Seems like there is good parts availability on the secondary markets.

Older Ford models (before 1960) are very good but much slower, under powered. IMO the 45-95 hp range would be good for the 40A. Live hydraulics and pto are almost a must. The 600 series and newer have power steering, modern hydraulics, good 3 points and lifting ability.

Take care, Bruce
BLT gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 09:39 PM   #3
mongocanfly
Post Whore

4wd and front end loader....those are my 2 must haves....

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 09:51 PM   #4
BLT gmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongocanfly View Post
4wd and front end loader....those are my 2 must haves....
I agree. If the budget were larger, it would be fwa, loader, cab (with heat + AC), reverser, etc. But with 10k budget, finding a good sized tractor with fwa and loader is going to be a unicorn hunt.

Certainly things can vary by regions in the USA.

Kubota is gaining more and more respect in my area. They are much easier to find with fwa. Deere and case/ih are the standards. But I am turned off more and more by their greed and most lately their un willingness or inability to support past models. Lost of obsolete parts at the dealer for even 40 and 50 series Deeres these days.
Old 10-07-2018, 10:06 PM   #5
ElKotze

Look here, they are quite popular around here

http://lstractorusa.com/
'72 C20 Cheyenne Super, 396, TH400
'66 C60, 292, 4speed
ElKotze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 11:06 PM   #6
72supr

A 4020 John Deere or a 3020 would be a nice tractor.After 1969 they were factory 12 volts before that they were 24 volts although a lot of them have been changed over to 12 which means a lot less starting problems.A diesel would be much easier on fuel than the gas and they start good in the cold weather with a engine heater.You should be able to find one in that price range .
72supr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 11:53 PM   #7
cdub2010

Lots of good info thanks. 4x4 is a must and a cab is a good idea, Im not 25 anymore.

I did a quick search and I really like this one but damn.
https://up.craigslist.org/grd/d/jd-5...700686307.html
Its close to camp so I wouldn't need a trailer.

Just like car and truck shopping I always like the pricy ones. This will be a fun search. Thanks for the ideas
cdub2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 02:09 AM   #8
Killer Bee

my folks farmed with an IH 706 and 886, JD model 60 and a couple smaller machines..

around the years I was in high school my mom started a commercial lawn cutting business for apartment complexes.. they ran Kubota 6200 and 8200 series tractors that performed very well with little maintenance.. well built durable little machines that rarely break down if used properly..

your specific requirements will help you sort fuel type, cab, attachments, etc..

they ran a couple of zero turn mowers as well, no complaints with kubotas after owning 5-6 of them over last 30 years..

I overhauled this 60" belly deck for about $700 in parts after it blew a miter box, not sure how old or how many years on it but not anywhere near new.. runs like swiss watch again..

whatever you choose, good luck!
Old 10-08-2018, 06:16 AM   #9
BLT gmc

Nice tractor in the CL ad. Overpriced. Stay away from turf tire for Ag use. Good luck.
Old 10-08-2018, 06:22 AM   #10
special-K
Special Order

You can get a used little big tractor within that budget, like the 45-55hp tractors suggested. I ran a Case IH 485 with ez-mount bucket for the uses you mentioned and it worked quite well. It's duties were bush hogging fields, post holes/post removal, firewood splitting/loading/transport, hoisting whatever, snow clearing w/back blade, grading, and driveway/farm lane maintenance. Tough little work horse from +/- 1990. 4wd would be nice, but surely not a must. That's what chains are for. How do you think farmers survived all the years before 4wd came about? With good operating skills you can do quite well without. I never stuck this tractor. Cab? Better have A/C and heat/defrost. How many hours at a time will you spend on it in the winter? These diesels have block heaters. Never had an issue with starting. It had a provision for push button ether starting but I never put a can in it. Never needed it, even in single digit weather. Didn't normally keep it plugged in. This one was bought for $8,500 w/bush hog that was a size up for it, but it ran it just fine.
Attached Images

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 10-08-2018 at 06:35 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 09:47 AM   #11
Grumpy old man

With a $10,000.00 budget you can buy a nice early 90's John Deere 855 or a 955 with around 2,000 hrs on it 4x4, diesel, loader, hydro drive with either a bush hog or under belly mower . These were famous for there heavy frame and built to work . The 855 are 24 hp and the 955 are 30 hp . My 855 has foam filled front tires and the rears are filled with beet juice for traction and stability . How you plan on using it and the type of terrain makes a big difference on what to buy, In your words "being a noob to tractors" there is a lot to learn about safe handling any tractor with a loader ,ALWAYS wear a seat belt , Don't buy anything without ROPS (roll over protection) Hydro drive is much easier to run than a standard trans . With tractors SIZE MATTERS , You have to consider how your going to move it from one place to another and sooner or later it will get stuck and you'll want one that can be unstuck with a 4x4 pick up rather than a bigger tractor . I wouldn't buy a large 2 wheel drive tractor for plowing snow But that's just my opinion . Tractors with loaders and bush hogs are dangerous and learning how to drive one is a big deal.Anyone can but there are plenty of youtube video's on how NOT to run one . If I were you I'd check with the local landscape contractors on their opinions for your area they may even lead you to a good deal ? Another thought is to take that $10 K and buy a 67-72 4x4 with a plow and a decent zero turn mower ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCElLpaww4Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMBHenOTbZI
Attached Images

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 10:05 AM   #12
Grumpy old man

The 955's were used a lot by the highway dept's for mowing the interstates.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9ZEfKDVLnA

Old 10-08-2018, 01:24 PM   #13
100%Chevy

I don't know much about tractors.
I bought one in a land deal years ago and still have it.
It's a 1971 Deutz 3006,31 hp,air cooled,2 cylinder diesel.There are no hydraulic hoses on it!All steel lines only.
It pulls 6' attachments.Always starts in any weather.No glow plugs.If I run it out of fuel,it's ready to start right after I put more in-no priming,etc.
It can be fitted with a front loader,but I don't need it.
Grandson driving it,pulling the dump trailer---

Mike.
100%Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 05:05 PM   #14
Bigdav160

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElKotze View Post
Look here, they are quite popular around here

http://lstractorusa.com/
Is that a rebranded Fotol Lovol tractor from China? Looks similar to the Nortrac sold through Northern Tool.

edit: I just looked them up and it appears LS Tractors are South Korean. Same motor though?
'73 Z-28 Camaro
'63 Ford SWB Uni Pickup
'50 Ford Coupe
Bigdav160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 08:53 PM   #15
special-K
Special Order

I agree with Grumpy. Those little tractors need 4wd. That's how they came about being so popular. The first Kubota , Yanmar, etc 2wd drive baby tractors were useless. Antique tractors kickass and run run run without 4wd. Used to be cheap because people were selling them to get the little Japanese 4wds. But now they aren't so cheap. Not sure why a bush hog and loader are dangerous. I figure I'd know the answer after all the time I've spent on such a machine. But I have no idea.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 10-09-2018, 07:11 AM   #16
Grumpy old man

Bush hogs are dangerous when running without safety shields in place ,Many injuries and deaths have occurred from becoming caught in a turning pto shaft same thing for other attachments that use a pto shaft to operate tillers, hay bailers, manure spreaders ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bufSQZ0Bqzc

. Loader accidents happen all the time when the user is trying to carry a loaded bucket in a high position or across a grade and the machine will tumble, That's one of the reasons I have foam filled front tires a sharp turn with a loaded bucket can roll the tire off the rim , Also Beet juice in the rear tires helps with stability and adds considerable weight for traction (and it doesn't freeze like water would also less expensive than anti freeze and won't rot out the rim like the Calcium chloride the farmers used to use,) Rops are on tractors for a reason , They can flip over and your best situation is to be belted into the machine ,It happens fast and you won't be able to "jump out of the way"

https://farmsafety.mo.gov/farm-equip...ractor-safety/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnBkGBOFtRc

Old 10-09-2018, 07:33 AM   #17
Grumpy old man

On a side note low hr large tractors from the early 90's have tripled in value making them a investment grade machine better appreciation than just about any muscle car .Machines bought new for $70,000.00 are selling with low hours for $180,000.00 + at auction .

Old 10-09-2018, 06:48 PM   #18
ElKotze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdav160 View Post
Is that a rebranded Fotol Lovol tractor from China? Looks similar to the Nortrac sold through Northern Tool.

edit: I just looked them up and it appears LS Tractors are South Korean. Same motor though?
Sorry, I have no Idea. We have a dealer here in town and people that live out in the country use them to maintain their properties. I have a John Deere 4440 with a bucket and mower attachment and I really like it but, like somebody said, I hate going to the dealer for parts and get the "JD-dealer attitude"!! There are several JD dealers around (farm country), but they're all the same. Guys at the parts counter don't even look up when you walk in and when they do it's like: " Make it quick, I've got better things to do!"
'72 C20 Cheyenne Super, 396, TH400
'66 C60, 292, 4speed
ElKotze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 07:43 PM   #19
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy old man View Post
Bush hogs are dangerous when running without safety shields in place ,Many injuries and deaths have occurred from becoming caught in a turning pto shaft same thing for other attachments that use a pto shaft to operate tillers, hay bailers, manure spreaders ...

. Loader accidents happen all the time when the user is trying to carry a loaded bucket in a high position or across a grade and the machine will tumble, That's one of the reasons I have foam filled front tires.....
Oh ok. I took your post to mean the loader and bush hog were a dangerous combination. I know how to safely operate a tractor on a farm. I grew up on a farm running Jubilee/8N/9Ns and 2cyl JDs. In the late-70s I lived with a girlfriend who ran a horse farm and they had a little big JD w/loader and the guy who did the hay, who I helped out with had a big ole Oliver just before they merged with White. That thing had an over/under trans and was scary fast. I have friend up home with a farm I often throw a hand in with. Strictly old IH... Ms and Hs.

That Case IH has foamed front tires and never messed with the rears. Not sure what they were filled with. That place was really hilly, though. If you weren't careful clearing snow on the lane to the house the tractor could run away. It happened to the guy who did the bush hogging. He also rolled the old tractor before this one. I wish I could have gotten that one when the lady passed on, but they wanted to include it in the sale of the farm. I wish I could have bought the farm!
Attached Images

Tim

Old 10-14-2018, 07:39 AM   #20
72 tigger

Lots of good advice on here. I bought this from my dad this year- grandpa bought it new in 1960
Attached Images

72 tigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 10:11 AM   #21
72supr

Sharp looking tractor and loader. I like your Heat Hauser.They were awful nice on a winter day.
72supr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 10:27 AM   #22
Gotenntitans

We have a 1974 Massey Ferguson 135 that always cranks and runs when we turn the key. Very little trouble out of this tractor throughout its lifetime. It doesn't have a front end loader, though, but I wanted to chime in on how dependable our tractor has been.
2003 Chevy Silverado
Gotenntitans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 07:14 AM   #23
special-K
Special Order

Can't beat the old ones. So over-built. If rings go bad in one cylinder, just replace the bad ones and back to work. They can't hurt themselves. Nice Farmall for sure there, Tigger. She's a beaut!

Tim

Old 10-15-2018, 07:47 AM   #24
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Tigger ...nice one... with a tricycle and a front end loader.....I bet thats a dangerous handful to drive

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 10:16 PM   #25
LostMy65
But Found Her 25yrs Later!

Anyone have a good friendly tractor forum that you like?
Preferably one that is similar to this forum where people like to learn how to fix things themselves.

66 C20 Service Truck:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=428035
LostMy65 is offline   Reply With Quote