The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-13-2018, 11:55 AM   #2076
Black_Sheep

Re: What did you do with your truck today, Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
Very cool! Heck yeah it deserves being in a show it looks awesome!

I had a VERY interesting request of my Rambler yesterday. On my way home I had some youngsters in a BMW ask me if I would rent it to them for a music video! I thought about it for a millisecond......no.

Brian
I can see it now, one guitar player on the hood, one on the trunk and the lead singer on the roof with a big ol' mic stand...
Black_Sheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 11:58 AM   #2077
MARTINSR

The first thing I thought of it would be some CRAP hiphop or rap BULLCRAP and there is no way I would allow Marge to be in that!

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 10:12 PM   #2078
MiraclePieCo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Sheep View Post
I drove the truck 25 miles in rush hour traffic to a little shindig last night. Other than a couple short shakedown cruises, this was the first time the truck has been publicly displayed. ...
I'm amazed how fast you got that truck together and on the road!
Old 10-13-2018, 10:22 PM   #2079
MiraclePieCo

I finish-installed my plywood seat base today. I got this cool nutsert tool - can't believe I got along without one for all these years! It's a no-brainer to put threads in blind holes in sheet metal. So after installing the nutserts I laid down some foam tape to add cushioning and prevent rattles, then screwed the plywood down to the original seat base. Now it can support my bucket seats instead of sagging and bending.

Here's my practice nutsert installation:
Attached Images

Old 10-13-2018, 10:43 PM   #2080
Black_Sheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiraclePieCo View Post
I'm amazed how fast you got that truck together and on the road!
I was very motivated to get it done...
Old 10-13-2018, 11:47 PM   #2081
MARTINSR

I got the drivers fender ready for stripping, welded up a bunch, hammered on it a bunch, so there. :P

Got the right bed side up next to garage for tomorrow morning. I am spending the day with family (mine and inlaws) at the Pumpkin festival in beautiful Half Moon Bay on the coast tomorrow as we do every year. So I hope to get out there in the morning for my five minutes I MUST so I will.

Today I was gas welding on the fender and was reminded how much I enjoy using that damn torch. I had a big hole to weld up, built up a ball on the end of the welding rod, set it in the hole and wham, melted it done deal filling it and flattening out pretty good, hardly took any grinding. Just fun, way more easy to control than MIG (at least for me) just fun.

I am still blown away removing this orange paint that I applied 41 years ago! My God does time fly, wow.

Brian

Old 10-14-2018, 01:38 AM   #2082
Roadkill58

I got my brother to install all the guts in the steering column I shortened.

He has a photographic memory. I don't.

While he was doing that I was finishing the wiring for the tail lights.

We have tail lights, brake lights, and turn signals. Need another flasher for the hazard lights.

Roadkill's 69 Custom C20
Roadkill58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 02:52 AM   #2083
MiraclePieCo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadkill58 View Post
I got my brother to install all the guts in the steering column I shortened.

He has a photographic memory. I don't.
I literally take photos of stuff before I take it apart so I can see how to put it back together.
Old 10-14-2018, 06:23 AM   #2084
DransportGarage

Quote:
I finish-installed my plywood seat base today. I got this cool nutsert tool - can't believe I got along without one for all these years! It's a no-brainer to put threads in blind holes in sheet metal. So after installing the nutserts I laid down some foam tape to add cushioning and prevent rattles, then screwed the plywood down to the original seat base. Now it can support my bucket seats instead of sagging and bending.

Here's my practice nutsert installation:
Some great tips here...
Bob's Retirement Build - My 55 TF
Bob's 700R4 Build (how-to)
DransportGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 10:49 AM   #2085
MARTINSR

Quote:
I literally take photos of stuff before I take it apart so I can see how to put it back together.
I never would have thought of that, but this is one of the things I do at work. When I disassemble a car I record where things go with photos and notes so the guy who puts it together will be able to without ripping his hair out. It works AMAZINGLY WELL and now at home I do the same thing.

Brian

Old 10-14-2018, 12:15 PM   #2086
MARTINSR

Got my five minutes in this morning before heading out of town. I have to tell you, I am torn, this will take some thinking. I have planned on having the bed blasted so I can get epoxy primer down on that metal. I painted these in 1979, all with lacquer. They are in DARN good shape! I am thinking now of spot blasting here and there myself and sanding it down thinner and epoxy priming over it. I am going to have to think about this long and hard.

The last photo is of the chrome hinge and chain that I removed this morning that I bolted on back then. The chain covers, I will keep. An old friend made them who passed away unexpectedly seven years ago, damn, way too young.

Brian
Attached Images

Old 10-14-2018, 12:58 PM   #2087
DransportGarage

Quote:
Got my five minutes in this morning before heading out of town. I have to tell you, I am torn, this will take some thinking. I have planned on having the bed blasted so I can get epoxy primer down on that metal. I painted these in 1979, all with lacquer. They are in DARN good shape! I am thinking now of spot blasting here and there myself and sanding it down thinner and epoxy priming over it. I am going to have to think about this long and hard.

The last photo is of the chrome hinge and chain that I removed this morning that I bolted on back then. The chain covers, I will keep. An old friend made them who passed away unexpectedly seven years ago, damn, way too young.

Brian
You could make some pretty neat wall art with those chains and covers - maybe even hang an old tailgate as a shelf in the shop. That way you'd see them every day...
Old 10-14-2018, 01:14 PM   #2088
Black_Sheep

I have managed to put about 100 miles on the truck in the past couple of weeks, so far the issues have been pretty minor.

Anyway, I drove it to the Twin Cities Roadster swap this morning and it began to snow. Driving it in bad weather was bound to happen sooner or later, now I got that out of the way...

https://youtu.be/fZDO5SxEZQI
Attached Images

Old 10-14-2018, 04:58 PM   #2089
MiraclePieCo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR
I have to tell you, I am torn, this will take some thinking. I have planned on having the bed blasted so I can get epoxy primer down on that metal. I painted these in 1979, all with lacquer. They are in DARN good shape! I am thinking now of spot blasting here and there myself and sanding it down thinner and epoxy priming over it. I am going to have to think about this long and hard.
Scuff 'em, shoot 'em!

Quote:
I drove it to the Twin Cities Roadster swap this morning and it began to snow. Driving it in bad weather was bound to happen sooner or later, now I got that out of the way...
Ha ha, as winter approaches the older I get the harder it gets on my aging body. I just learned of a neighbor who died from a heart attack while shoveling snow last winter.

Last edited by MiraclePieCo; 10-15-2018 at 01:47 AM.
MiraclePieCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 07:24 PM   #2090
oldman3

Mark, cool stuff with the video, and yes we all get caught in bad weather sometimes....Jim
oldman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 07:24 PM   #2091
DransportGarage

Quote:
I have managed to put about 100 miles on the truck in the past couple of weeks, so far the issues have been pretty minor.

Anyway, I drove it to the Twin Cities Roadster swap this morning and it began to snow. Driving it in bad weather was bound to happen sooner or later, now I got that out of the way...

https://youtu.be/fZDO5SxEZQI
As long as the road crews don't get ambitious with the salt you'll be OK.

I haven't posted any progress reports lately because it's boring. All I have been doing is wet sanding on the cab after paint. By hand, P800, P1000, P1500, then P3000 and P5000 with the new orbital sander. What a machine! That's all done, and now I'm starting the first stage of buffing.

I used Southern Polyurethanes (SPI) "Universal Clear 4000-1" with their slow activator, recommended by a Pontiac body shop guru who is a friend of mine. GREAT product! Flows like glass. You don't have to get on it right away to buff it. You can do that a year later if you want. I've had it on the front of my 2009 Honda for 3 years, and it's durable as well. If you have to call them, most of the time Barry (the owner of the business) will answer. Not only unbelievable, but downright personal tech support. They own your problem. His cell phone is out on his forum if You have an emergency. Call on Sunday if it's a crisis!
http://www.spiuserforum.com/index.ph...-5000-5100.29/ 2 gallons of product for $279, including shipping. I've said too much, but I can't say enough...

Last edited by DransportGarage; 10-14-2018 at 07:34 PM.
Old 10-14-2018, 10:56 PM   #2092
MARTINSR

I'm using SPI too.

Brian

Old 10-14-2018, 11:22 PM   #2093
mikebte

Quote:

Brian
That sure has a nice shine to it, hard to cover it up.
mikebte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 11:45 PM   #2094
svr

Shot urethane primer surfacer on the cab inside and outside yesterday, right away i could see a few flaws i missed fixing before hand. Started block sanding today and found more flaws, will fix a couple of the worst of them now and call it good enough for who its for.
Old 10-15-2018, 01:53 AM   #2095
MiraclePieCo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DransportGarage View Post
I haven't posted any progress reports lately because it's boring. All I have been doing is wet sanding on the cab after paint. That's all done, and now I'm starting the first stage of buffing.

I used Southern Polyurethanes (SPI) "Universal Clear 4000-1" with their slow activator, recommended by a Pontiac body shop guru who is a friend of mine. GREAT product!
Your going down to 5000? Wow, should be glass smooth. I think cut-and-buffing paint is one of the most fun things you can do because it makes such a big difference. Thanks for the paint supplier tip too.
Old 10-15-2018, 02:03 AM   #2096
MiraclePieCo

Just 12 bolts installed today, but a huge symbolic achievement: I got the seats installed, meaning I can actually sit in the truck and drive it! Forgive the condition of the seats, they came with the truck; after my budget recovers from Christmas I'll take them in for upholstery. I like them however because they fold forward to access the rear cargo area.

Can anyone identify the seats - my guess is '68 Chevelle? They have the plastic back panels but are missing the matching side panels on the bottom.
Attached Images

Last edited by MiraclePieCo; 10-15-2018 at 04:45 AM.
Old 10-15-2018, 03:04 AM   #2097
DransportGarage

Quote:
Your going down to 5000? <snip>
Have you noticed that things never get simpler, they just get more complicated? Before 1980, all we had was the U.S. "ANSI" standard for grit size. For instance, 400 grit was, well, 400 grit. Life was good.

Sometime after 1980, probably to comply with European Union (EU) standards, and thus be able to sell into that market, sandpaper manufacturers adopted the European, or "FEPA" standard for grit size, where all of the numbers start with "P". Now, P800 is close to the old 400 grit size (and yes, I'm amazed at the number of restorers and production body guys that don't know this). P3000 is around the old 1100, and P5000 is around the old 1300.

Here's a chart: https://www.google.com/search?client..._KWM574s2uZUM: (This chart is for tool sharpening, but you get the idea. It was the only one I could find quickly that went to P5000.)

Sorry for the technical stuff, but it is what it is. From here on out, when someone tells you they used "800 grit", you won't know whether they mean P800 or 800 or 400 . (Actually, ALMOST everyone will mean P800.)

Hey MartinSr, have you done a "basics of basics" on scuffing and buffing yet? Here's a start!

Last edited by DransportGarage; 10-15-2018 at 03:13 AM.
Old 10-15-2018, 03:21 AM   #2098
MiraclePieCo

Ah, thanks for the education. I just checked my inventory of 3M and Warrior sandpaper - standard US grits, no P number visible anywhere, thank goodness. I'm too old to change now!

Last edited by MiraclePieCo; 10-15-2018 at 10:19 PM.
Old 10-15-2018, 10:16 AM   #2099
MARTINSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by DransportGarage View Post
Have you noticed that things never get simpler, they just get more complicated? Before 1980, all we had was the U.S. "ANSI" standard for grit size. For instance, 400 grit was, well, 400 grit. Life was good.

Sometime after 1980, probably to comply with European Union (EU) standards, and thus be able to sell into that market, sandpaper manufacturers adopted the European, or "FEPA" standard for grit size, where all of the numbers start with "P". Now, P800 is close to the old 400 grit size (and yes, I'm amazed at the number of restorers and production body guys that don't know this). P3000 is around the old 1100, and P5000 is around the old 1300.

Here's a chart: https://www.google.com/search?client..._KWM574s2uZUM: (This chart is for tool sharpening, but you get the idea. It was the only one I could find quickly that went to P5000.)

Sorry for the technical stuff, but it is what it is. From here on out, when someone tells you they used "800 grit", you won't know whether they mean P800 or 800 or 400 . (Actually, ALMOST everyone will mean P800.)

Hey MartinSr, have you done a "basics of basics" on scuffing and buffing yet? Here's a start!
I never have, I have planned it but never have, I have cut and buff MANY cars to show quality including firewalls and door jabs, even frames, yes, cut and buffed frames! But you know what, since then, I have been married twice, had four kids, four grand kids.............it's been a while and things have changed a LOT. When I cut and buff the next time, I will be learning myself!

The last time I repaired and polished some stainless moulding I was blown out of my mind how good the sand paper is now for this, going up to 5000!

OMG it didn't even need to be polished! The "sand paper" left it better polished than the compound used to do! WOW!

I remember the first time I touched "ultra fine" I was blown away the same. It was on a V6 powered T bucket LOLOL "Ultra fine" was the first sandpaper that was finer than 600, it was basically 800. This was around 1979. LOLOL Yeah, I am an old dude. Only the old dudes will even understand the V6 T bucket, WTH? Back in the late seventies we saw the death of the V8 huh guys. It was leaving, there would soon be no V8s in new cars or trucks, the gas crunch hit and speed and power were a thing of the PAST......we would have never imagined in a million years we would see what we do now. Honestly young dudes, at that time, the V8 and "performance" as GONE FOREVER! Honestly, that is what was forecast. And because of that there were a lot of cars being built like that V6 T Bucket, the guy who built it was on the cutting edge, he saw the "future." Pretty wild huh!

Brian

Last edited by MARTINSR; 10-15-2018 at 10:25 AM.
Old 10-15-2018, 10:27 AM   #2100
MARTINSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebte View Post
That sure has a nice shine to it, hard to cover it up.
Those are wet after hosing them off so they aren't that shiny but pretty close. Being they are lacquer and I could buff them to shine pretty easy. But there is some rust at the edges of the stake pockets to bed sides not bad, but some there. I will have a decision to make for sure.

Brian