The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical > Truck Audio

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-10-2016, 12:35 PM   #1
NJ C10 Guy

Infinity 3.5" speaker issue

I have my speakers in the dash, without the dash pad on and I am running into 2 issues. The speakers are 3.5" Infinity http://www.crutchfield.com/S-eqRCYUx...F-3002cfx.html

1. The driver's side I can't seem to bolt in the right way. The ears of the speaker don't line up with the mount holes and if I rotate it, the speaker connections hit the metal dash and short out and I have to reset my head unit.

2. The speakers sit too high on the dash and I cant put the dash on without it contacting the speakers, which is obviously an issue. Should I cut down the mounting rings and tack them directly to the dash, or is there another way you guys have done it?
NJ C10 Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 09:39 AM   #2
Steve Cole

Re: Infinity 3.5" speaker issue

Can you post a pic showing what you are talking about? I am having a hard time understanding what you are trying to do. Have you tried something like this?
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=688482
Steve Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 09:47 AM   #3
NJ C10 Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Cole View Post
Can you post a pic showing what you are talking about? I am having a hard time understanding what you are trying to do. Have you tried something like this?
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=688482
I'll post pics later. My speakers are not in the center, but on either side of the dash by the doors.
Old 03-15-2016, 06:12 PM   #4
NJ C10 Guy

Old 03-15-2016, 09:04 PM   #5
Steve Cole

I've never seen speakers mounted like that before so I probably won't be much help. Can you mount them from the underside of the dash? Or perhaps do away with that bracket and make one out of a flat plate and use custom length spacers at the mounting screw locations to get the desired mounting height? You could use longer spacers in the back to angle the speakers slightly towards you. Post pics with whatever you come up with. Good luck.
Steve Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 02:04 AM   #6
Cooper197

As above, mount from under if you can.
Also use electrical tape tightly around the terminals/crimp connectors to let them touch metal without shorting if that helps get them into the right position.

But it looks like you could remove the metal brackets, then mount the speakers from the bottom with some kind of small spacer to gain some clearance.
Cooper197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 06:41 PM   #7
NJ C10 Guy

Ok, I got it all squared away today. It turned out to be relatively easy, just had to put a little thought into it. The passenger side was really easy, as I was able to just flip the bracket upside down and mount it from underneath without any modifications. I'm sure I'll lose a small amount of sound quality, but in the grand scheme it won't be much due to the rest of my setup.

The driver's side was a little more difficult due to the space and the fact that I couldn't just flip the bracket. I took the existing bracket, flattened out the tabs, measured and drilled holes to mount it. Then I had to finagle the speaker around some to a point where it was relatively flush to mount. I didn't want to risk breaking the tabs on the speaker. Then I had to drill holes in the dash to mount the speakers in place. This was a little bit of a pain and I ended up removing the gauge cluster. I broke one of the brittle plastic tabs putting it back in

My dash fits over top now with no clearance issues at all.

Old 03-17-2016, 08:43 AM   #8
Mattchu60

I just did this 2 days ago, with a different brand of speaker. I mounted the speaker ring normally, but mounted the speaker to the underside of the bracket and spaced it out with washers.

You may have an issue with your passenger side contacting the A/C vent ducting (if you have A/C) with the speaker set that low. I had to do a lot of in/out with my dash to get it just right height.
Mattchu60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 09:48 AM   #9
NJ C10 Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattchu60 View Post
I just did this 2 days ago, with a different brand of speaker. I mounted the speaker ring normally, but mounted the speaker to the underside of the bracket and spaced it out with washers.

You may have an issue with your passenger side contacting the A/C vent ducting (if you have A/C) with the speaker set that low. I had to do a lot of in/out with my dash to get it just right height.
No AC for me, so no issues!