The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical > Truck Audio

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-18-2016, 10:08 AM   #1
84chevyguyid

Audio system for my crew cab

I am in the middle of wiring my 86 crew cab and am starting to think about a nice audio system so I can get those wires ran in also. I am toying with modifying the door panels in the area where the pouches are mounted, putting some 6 inch component speakers with tweeters, or mounting the same speakers in the kick panel. The local stereo shop owner says they will sound better in the kick panel than in the door but most of the newer vehicles have them mounted in the doors. I dont really like them in the kick panels because I would always be kicking them...thats why they are called kick panels. Need opinions, strictly from a sound viewpoint, which would sound the best? Kick panel or door panel mounted? And would the tweeters be better off mounted up higher than the door panel area? Newer vehicles have them mounted in the pillars. This would be for the front. What would I do in the rear seat area? Would like a 10 inch sub behind the rear seat or something too.
84chevyguyid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 12:19 PM   #2
_Ogre

Re: Audio system for my crew cab

ideally speakers should point towards your head, easier with kicks than door speakers
door speakers are more likely to be blocked by your leg or the seat
that said... and since i only have 2 doors i mounted speakers in the doors and the kicks

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 09:02 AM   #3
84chevyguyid

Thanks for the reply and some pics! You have a nice pickup there! Well I bought some stuff:

kenwood KMMBT315U Single DIN Bluetooth CD Receiver
JL Audio JX400/4D 4-channel car amplifier - 70 watts RMS x 4
Jl Audio Jx500/1d Mono Subwoofer Amplifier - 500 Watts RMS X 1 At 2 Ohms
JL Audio TR650-CSi 6-1/2" Evolution TR Series 2-way Component Speakers
JL Audio TR400-CXi 4" Evolution TR Series 2-way Speakers
JL Audio CS110TG-TW3 10" subwoofer.

I was able to mount the 4" speakers in the rear door panel and made plywood spacers so I can pull them up tight against the inner door skin. I think I can get the 6" front speakers to go in the door panel where the pouch currently resides and the 1" tweeter looks like it will fit up higher in front of the window switches. The 6" speakers will be forward of knees and should work good with the tweeter mounted within the spec the stereo guy said would work the best. The sub will fit on the shelf behind the rear seat and I am planning on mounting the amps beside it on the shelf also. I am going to build an overhead console to house the head unit, a CB radio, a spot for mt Raody2 xm reciever, maybe a spot for my Iphone, and probably a couple of power receptacles for the phone and xm, as well as some dome lights of some kind. Still doing some thinking on what all to put in it and the design. Its going to be a slow project as summers are really busy for me but I will update here when progress is made.
Attached Images

84chevyguyid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 11:20 AM   #4
terrylgreenjr

that looks factory style I like that. How much mounting depth did you end up with?
terrylgreenjr is offline   Reply With Quote