The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-12-2017, 03:16 PM   #26
cpnbnanamn

Re: Headlight options - Updates?

@ Andy4639: Can you post a link for the headlight assemblies you have now?
cpnbnanamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 04:28 PM   #27
Willie Makeit

gents, do some research on the Hella E code housings before buying the chinese crap. To give you a nutshell version, in Europe, the overhead signage is required to be illuminated by law. In the US it is not. The European (the E in E code) light housings have the lenses made in such a way that it focuses the light on the road (think HID lighting systems where there is a distinct "cut off" light in the light transmission) because there is no need for the light to shine upward.

the US/DOT-approved lights "scatter" light in all directions in front of the vehicle in an effort to illuminate overhead signage (think interstate exit signs). Even with the new HID/LED bulbs, if they are installed in the US standard housings/lenses or the new fancy "crystal" housings then you're still "scattering" light all over the place. Even into the face of oncoming drivers. Just food for thought.

here is a link to the best price out there on Hella E codes that I have found.

https://www.amazon.com/HELLA-0023958...s=hella+e+code
Willie Makeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 05:51 PM   #28
Tdrcreyn4

sub
1970 K20 350/350/205 - sold
1969 K20 396/400/205 - work in process
Tdrcreyn4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 10:01 PM   #29
jessemthompson

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
-
I used Jeep Wrangler headlights in my '67 Panel Truck. Jeep JK Wrangler headlights ('07-current) are a direct bolt in swap for the old sealed beam headlights in our trucks. They even have the 3 lugs on the back for alignment and use the stock '67-'72 trim rings. I went ahead and bought the headlight conversion pigtails for the swap too.

I bought both on e-Bay. Here are the actual pigtails I bought and the headlights I bought were from a private seller that changed his over to something different. They are in excellent condition. You have to be careful because there are a lot of look alikes. They do make exact replacements too but you have to watch, some of them come with bulbs and some don't. The easy way to tell the OEM's are by the back. I think the lights are the same from 2007-2015.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/130940451329...AIT&rmvSB=true

LockDoc
How is the light output compared to factory? I have done the relay upgrade but would like a little more performance.
jessemthompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 11:26 AM   #30
n33k0

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
-
I used Jeep Wrangler headlights in my '67 Panel Truck. Jeep JK Wrangler headlights ('07-current) are a direct bolt in swap for the old sealed beam headlights in our trucks. They even have the 3 lugs on the back for alignment and use the stock '67-'72 trim rings. I went ahead and bought the headlight conversion pigtails for the swap too.

I bought both on e-Bay. Here are the actual pigtails I bought and the headlights I bought were from a private seller that changed his over to something different. They are in excellent condition. You have to be careful because there are a lot of look alikes. They do make exact replacements too but you have to watch, some of them come with bulbs and some don't. The easy way to tell the OEM's are by the back. I think the lights are the same from 2007-2015.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/130940451329...AIT&rmvSB=true

LockDoc
Do you have pics of your truck with the JK lights? I was looking at a jeep the other day and noticed the headlight lens has a significant dome shape. It seemed like it wasn't as flat as a regular sealed beam light. I'm sure it wouldn't affect the installation or operation of the light, but I'm just curious if it will make the truck look bug-eyed.
Old 02-13-2017, 02:17 PM   #31
Signkutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Makeit View Post
gents, do some research on the Hella E code housings before buying the chinese crap. To give you a nutshell version, in Europe, the overhead signage is required to be illuminated by law. In the US it is not. The European (the E in E code) light housings have the lenses made in such a way that it focuses the light on the road (think HID lighting systems where there is a distinct "cut off" light in the light transmission) because there is no need for the light to shine upward.

the US/DOT-approved lights "scatter" light in all directions in front of the vehicle in an effort to illuminate overhead signage (think interstate exit signs). Even with the new HID/LED bulbs, if they are installed in the US standard housings/lenses or the new fancy "crystal" housings then you're still "scattering" light all over the place. Even into the face of oncoming drivers. Just food for thought.

Any modification required to install these on a stock 72 C20?
Signkutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 02:54 PM   #32
AJC

I put the jeep lights in my truck as my first upgrade. light pattern is a lot better but there not much brighter then the sealed beam ones. They still have the stock jk bulbs. I will get a better pic after work.
Attached Images

AJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 06:19 PM   #33
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Quote:

Good info, thanks for posting. I am not familiar with all the new stuff out there, and some is probably very good, but some is also likely not so good. However, I am familiar with E-codes. Until proven otherwise, they are my go-to gold standard for quality and performance. Cibies are my choice over Hellas, though the Hellas are a bit cheaper and much easier to find. Mainly b/c Cibies have a better high-beam pattern, with less light thrown vertically into the sky or the trees, and more light cast onto the roadway. Cibies can be found at http://www.danielsternlighting.com/ or, for less money, at https://www.amazon.com/Cibie-082440-...ywords=cibie+7.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 06:48 PM   #34
Willie Makeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signkutter View Post
Any modification required to install these on a stock 72 C20?
no sir, pull out the old bulb and install the new housing. i STRONGLY recommend the relay harness upgrade when installing the new housings/H4 bulbs.
Old 02-13-2017, 07:09 PM   #35
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: Headlight options - Updates?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpnbnanamn View Post
@ Andy4639: Can you post a link for the headlight assemblies you have now?

I bought them at the Myrtle beach car show. I thought I had posted them in another post when I installed them but it's not pulling up. If I run across it I' post the info.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 11:48 PM   #36
Signkutter

Quote:
no sir, pull out the old bulb and install the new housing. i STRONGLY recommend the relay harness upgrade when installing the new housings/H4 bulbs.
Fire hazard? I had all the wiring redone last year.
Old 02-14-2017, 12:12 AM   #37
Racer382D

I have used the truck light LED's on a few I am very satisfied with them.
Racer382D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 12:15 AM   #38
Racer382D

Not my ad just posting for reference

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/3618955...&ul_noapp=true
Racer382D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 01:24 AM   #39
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signkutter View Post
Fire hazard? I had all the wiring redone last year.
No, but relays will ensure full maximum voltage to the lamps, and that equates to measurably brighter lights. Stock wiring is marginal, and worse yet the current goes though the light switch on the dash, adding even more resistance.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Old 02-14-2017, 03:58 AM   #40
Signkutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stocker View Post
No, but relays will ensure full maximum voltage to the lamps, and that equates to measurably brighter lights. Stock wiring is marginal, and worse yet the current goes though the light switch on the dash, adding even more resistance.
10-4 , thanks for the info Stocker
Old 02-14-2017, 01:41 PM   #41
cpnbnanamn

Fellas,
As part of my HL upgrade process, I ordered and received a harness from HarnessWorx (Gmachinz here on the forum), and lemme tell you.. I'm SUPER impressed with the quality. I haven't installed them yet, but I'm looking forward to that. He built a bulkhead-out harness for me, and it looks and feels SOLID. If you haven't done this upgrade yet, ping him, and tell him I sent you. No, this isn't a paid advertisement, and I am a real customer. I'm just THAT impressed!
Now, to pick out what headlight assembly I want to use. Still torn between LED and other options...
Attached Images

Old 02-14-2017, 02:34 PM   #42
cpnbnanamn

Quote:
Good info, thanks for posting. I am not familiar with all the new stuff out there, and some is probably very good, but some is also likely not so good. However, I am familiar with E-codes. Until proven otherwise, they are my go-to gold standard for quality and performance. Cibies are my choice over Hellas, though the Hellas are a bit cheaper and much easier to find. Mainly b/c Cibies have a better high-beam pattern, with less light thrown vertically into the sky or the trees, and more light cast onto the roadway. Cibies can be found at http://www.danielsternlighting.com/ or, for less money, at https://www.amazon.com/Cibie-082440-...ywords=cibie+7.
I like the look of these.. The link you sent for Amazon.. not sure if that's for the e-code or not?? Tried looking it up.. Can't get a definitive answer.
Old 02-14-2017, 03:17 PM   #43
jessemthompson

I just placed an order on eBay for some factory Wrangler headlights. They are coming with some Phillips bulbs and I paid $40. I got the adapter harness for $11. I already have they relay harness for the headlights. When I receive everything and install them I'll put an update in this thread.
Old 02-14-2017, 03:45 PM   #44
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpnbnanamn View Post
I like the look of these.. The link you sent for Amazon.. not sure if that's for the e-code or not?? Tried looking it up.. Can't get a definitive answer.
Amazon doesn't refer to it as an E-code headlamp, but that's what it is -- Cibie 82440. They also incorrectly call it a fog lamp, but that may be for legal purposes because technically, they are not DOT-approved. FWIW, I bought my first E-codes in the early Seventies and have never had any issues with them. Just aim them so they won't blind oncoming traffic -- adjust the low beams so the horizontal cutoff is slightly lower than the lamp and you'll be fine. Standard 55/60W bulbs are more than adequate for highway use (and are not included with the lamps from Amazon).

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Old 02-17-2017, 11:10 PM   #45
jessemthompson

Got my jeep headlights in today. Much better light pattern and whiter light than the stock sealed beams. I may upgrade bulbs later on, but overall I'm pretty happy with them.

Old 02-18-2017, 10:35 AM   #46
wshattuck

Quote:
Hey Willie, what relay harness upgrade are you using?? I'm thinking of doing the same upgrade in my c10...

will
Old 02-18-2017, 11:02 AM   #47
93calypsohatch

What do you do with the 4 headlight GMC trucks? All these conversions have the high and low beam in the same headlight
93calypsohatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 12:17 PM   #48
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93calypsohatch View Post
What do you do with the 4 headlight GMC trucks? All these conversions have the high and low beam in the same headlight
5 3/4" E-codes are also available for quad headlamp applications.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Old 02-18-2017, 10:18 PM   #49
Willie Makeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by wshattuck View Post
Hey Willie, what relay harness upgrade are you using?? I'm thinking of doing the same upgrade in my c10...

will
I'm using one that was originally made for a Porsche. German ingenuity and all that.

There is a guy here that makes them and from what I've read he uses good quality components as compared to the Chinese-made stuff one can find online.
Old 02-19-2017, 02:43 PM   #50
93calypsohatch

Quote:
5 3/4" E-codes are also available for quad headlamp applications.
Happen to have a link?
93calypsohatch is offline   Reply With Quote