The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Racing and high performance (trucks haulin more than hay)

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-21-2016, 08:39 PM   #1
Revorollerr

Stock suspension guru's

Looking for some assistance with stock suspension. Currently I'm making 655/612, 275 DR, my best pass at the track was a 11.1 @ 122mph (DA was 9100), my 60' was a 1.7 This was with belltech lowering shocks on all corners, in the factory positions, CPP rear springs and unknown fronts. Had the track prep not been fantastic I would of ran into a lot of issues with virtually no weight transfer. Since the last event, I have added 2" lowering blocks, and speedway shocks relocation brackets. Ive been looking at Qa1 double adjustables drop in replacements, my concern is that my money will be better spent on coil overs.

Currently I'm waiting on my S485 to show up, then the truck will be re tuned for ethanol and the bigger turbo - ideally with 850rwhp I should be able to hit 9s, that being said I feel like Ill hit the limits of my current setup before then and seeing as the only near 1/4 mile track is 6hrs away - id like to be somewhat in the ballpark for what I need. During this winter I will make more changes to the truck, I would just really like to hit 9s without making huge changes yet.

According to the sticky, the moroso 47140 springs would be best suited for front springs. As previously mentioned, I'm unsure on what route to go with for rear springs/shock combo or switch to coil overs and be done with it.

Primarily the truck sees street action, with 200lbs over the axle I can dead hook off the T brake on an un prepped street @ 12psi on the 275 MT ET streets. Id like to be able to do so without so much or even no weight added. I'm not afraid of going to a bigger tire by any means, just not some huge as 16" wide tires
Revorollerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 03:33 PM   #2
Super73

Re: Stock suspension guru's

I am sure most of us are going to say "we need more info"

The 47140 will work for a certain front weight, there is no one spring for all applications. With that being said:

1) What does your truck weigh?
2) How much of that weight is on the front axle vs rear axle?
3) Are you happy with the front ride height? if so, please put enough weight in your drivers seat to replicate you sitting there and measure the compressed height of the spring while the truck is on the ground.

The above info will be very helpful in guiding you towards the right front spring. With the front spring sorted out, you are going to need a decent to great adjustable shock that can control it.

That rear CPP spring is honestly not a bad rear spring. It is not overly stiff which is good, but I know nothing about that speedway shock. Do they have adjustable valving?
1/4---10.38 @ 126.97----9.24 @ 142.49
Super73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 10:54 PM   #3
Revorollerr

Re: Stock suspension guru's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super73 View Post
I am sure most of us are going to say "we need more info"

The 47140 will work for a certain front weight, there is no one spring for all applications. With that being said:

1) What does your truck weigh?
2) How much of that weight is on the front axle vs rear axle?
3) Are you happy with the front ride height? if so, please put enough weight in your drivers seat to replicate you sitting there and measure the compressed height of the spring while the truck is on the ground.

The above info will be very helpful in guiding you towards the right front spring. With the front spring sorted out, you are going to need a decent to great adjustable shock that can control it.

That rear CPP spring is honestly not a bad rear spring. It is not overly stiff which is good, but I know nothing about that speedway shock. Do they have adjustable valving?

3990 with a full tank. I have not scaled the truck or had a chance to even guestimate the front and rear weights as the local scale is out of commission. Spring height with me in it was 9 3/16. Currently the shocks are belltechs, utilizing speedway relocation brackets on the rear.

Truck lifted a head the other night, once its back together ill borrow some scales and get some details. Mainly I was concerned with the rear suspension - wasnt sure if it the stock style coil and shock setup would work for what im wanting or if it would ultimately be best just to switch to coil overs.
Revorollerr is offline   Reply With Quote