The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-24-2016, 03:29 PM   #1
Maddashimports

Cool Erratic timing at idle

Alright here it goes, I have a 1972 C10 2wd. Just put a brand new motor in it with maybe 350 miles. It's running some worked over 0462 hump heads, 355c.i. with forged internals, Mutha Thumpr cam, 600cfm Edelbrock carb, MSD Street Fire distributor. truck has 10.5:1 compression. First had the initial timing set at 10* to start with. Idled fine in and out of gear. Total advance timing was only up to 24*. Last night I switched out the springs in the distributor with a mr. gasket recurve kit. I installed the black springs which says it should increase the total advance timing the most. Still only 24* total advance and the timing at an idle was bouncing all over the place +-10*, idle was erratic as well, +-300rpm. So.... pulled of the cap, rotor, and made sure the weights were not binding, everything was moving fine. So switched the springs back to the original one. Idled fine last night. Came out this morning and it was doing the same thing now also backfiring out the exhaust at an idle. Think it could be the dizzy? It's a brand new street fire. Chains not stretched either because Im running a gear set. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Maddashimports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 04:27 PM   #2
storm9c1
*** That's interesting ***

Re: Erratic timing at idle

Odd. You are checking timing with vacuum advance unhooked (and plugged at the carb) right?

That cam probably needs more base timing than 10 degrees. I'd try 12-14 and see if your idle improves. While I've never used one, those who have used Thumpr cams seem to report idle problems.

The last StreetFire I used added too much timing, unlike yours. I had to change the weights to sort that out.

Springs won't change your all-in timing, it will just change how soon (or late) it comes in. The weights and pins on the center beam under the rotor control the max travel. The better distributors come with changeable bushings that slip over the pins to control how far the weights advance. But with a StreetFire, you are stuck with what you got unless you change both the weights and springs.

At this point, I'd recheck your weights and springs. If that checks out, all I can say is to try a different distributor. If you like MSD stuff, the Pro Billet is the way to go. But I've heard a few people report problems with those recently. So I recommend the Chevrolet Performance Distributor. The money you save on a MSD StreetFire is always a crapshoot.
2011 Chevy Caprice PPV 9C3 6.0L
1995 Chevy Caprice 9C1
1994 Chevy Caprice 9C1 #3
1995 Chevy Caprice Wagon #2
1995 Chevy Impala SS
Mopar by night...
1969 Dodge Charger
1972 Chrysler Newport 2dr Hardtop (27K miles)

Plus others...

Last edited by storm9c1; 08-24-2016 at 04:39 PM.
storm9c1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 04:34 PM   #3
Maddashimports

Yeah the vacuum advance is unhooked. I might have to switch to a pro billet dizzy. I've heard people say the Mr. Gasket Co. weights are crap. I'm going to switch back to the msd weights tonight after work. I'm just stumped on the erratic idle and popping out of the exhaust. I've heard of people having problems with new street fire distributors before.
Old 08-24-2016, 05:23 PM   #4
TJ's Chevy
Post Whore

Bout the best dizzy out there is DUI. Never had one problem with them. If it is doing with all the original components back in the dizzy then it could be coincidence that something Else is wrong. You could try more initial. Like mentioned, a cam like that could easily use more base. And 24 is not very much for the top. I think mine are at 36. Might try some lighter weights and medium to light springs. Not very skilled on playing with dizzys, but it would make sense to try that out.
TJ's Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 06:23 PM   #5
Maddashimports

Just sent an email to DUI distributors. From what I've read they are about the best. And I've read MSD Street Fire is made in china which it doesn't surprise me its messing up then, hopefully that's what it it.
Old 08-24-2016, 09:32 PM   #6
geezer#99

Gear drive, eh!!
What are you using to keep it from walking into the timing cover?
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 09:00 AM   #7
Maddashimports

Good question aye. I'll ask the machine shop that built the engine today when they open. I know im going to be swapping it out with a jesel belt drive. Always like the way they look on a vehicle when you pop the hood lol. Plus unlike the gear drive they absorb harmonics well.
Old 08-25-2016, 10:13 AM   #8
Marv D
Registered Truck Offender

I could think of a lot better place to spend $900 than on a belt drive assembly. Kinda WAY overkill for a street motor and plan on replacing the belt every couple of years at $110. But to each their own.

Just a silly question here, but have you checked the timing with a different timing light to see if things are more stable. I didn't see anywhere that your running a ignition box (with the typical multiple strike below 3000) but it will make timing lights go nutz.

When you're dead, it's only a problem for the people around you, because you don't know you're dead.
.....It's kinda the same when your STUPID.

I just did my taxes and reviewed my SS statement. Thanks to the current administration it looks like I will only have to work till noon on the day of my funeral.
Marv D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 10:59 AM   #9
Boog
laying low

I don't see it mentioned so I'll ask. You have checked voltage to the distributor?
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 11:44 AM   #10
Maddashimports

Only reason I wanted a belt drive from jesel is I can get one from a buddy for $350. Plus I've always liked the way they look on an engine. It's like people with dual quads, might not make more power, but sure does look good. Well I pulled out the auto lite 145 plugs that they had in it (.050 gap) and swapped them out with some Accel's I had sitting around. Gapped them at .035, also noticed the accel plugs were about 1/8"-1/4" longer !?!?!? Run's way better and the timing isn't all over the board now. Still switching out the made in china MSD Streetfire with a Dui distributor. Spoke with performance distributor yesterday and it seems like the way to go.
Old 08-26-2016, 12:03 PM   #11
geezer#99

Just a fancy looking cover you won't see anyway behind the pump etc!!
Maybe you need a crank trigger instead of that dui!
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 01:46 PM   #12
Marv D
Registered Truck Offender

YUP! The exposed belt May look kinda cool while going together,,

But once together the belt drive is kinda hid by water pump and everything else. If this is a used setup, be sure and replace the belt. You don't do a many of 8500RPM passes with over 830psi of valve spring pressure to weaken that belt. Yu may thnk it's "OK" for a street motor, but consider the concenquences when it comes apart.

And I have no idea what your talking about on the 2x4's ;-) (this just came out of my 66 pickup bracket truck.

When you're dead, it's only a problem for the people around you, because you don't know you're dead.
.....It's kinda the same when your STUPID.

I just did my taxes and reviewed my SS statement. Thanks to the current administration it looks like I will only have to work till noon on the day of my funeral.
Marv D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 03:51 PM   #13
Maddashimports

I'll end up switching to a double roller next time I have the engine apart. That is a beautiful engine in the picture btw. Tunnel rams are an exception. I'm mainly talking about setup like the edelbrock dual quad and tri power they sell as kits. Seen quite a few different dyno tests where they don't perform as well as a single carb set up http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/eng...tor-dyno-test/ . The tunnel ram on the other hand is a different monster, they picked up 50hp on the engine dyno on Motor Trend's Engine Masters by switching over to a similar setup, longevity is important. Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it.