The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-12-2019, 12:12 PM   #1
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

My house stinks

I woke up at 5:00 because my dogs were going crazy in the yard. Then I smelled it. A skunk. And thought "oh no'. They're going to get sprayed.

Barking dogs and skunk smell are not a good thing to wake up to.

The skunk must have sprayed something because it still smells. But it didn't get the dogs. Thank goodness.

I have a friend who's Labrador chased a skunk and it got blasted. He said it was a mess to clean the dog. I have 5 dogs so that could have gotten really ugly. Especially at 5:00 in the morning.

I need to look up how to keep them away if that's possible. I've been smelling them more and more lately. There's a lot of open land near me and that's probably where they're coming from. They sure stink.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

2015 Corvette Z51 2021 Corvette Z51 1991 Cadillac Hearse 1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 2000 Porsche Boxster S 2020 Jeep Gladiator 1973 VW Thing 1973 Plymouth Satellite wagon 1963 Baja Bug 1959 Bug Dune Buggy 1970 Baja Bug 1987 Jaguar XJ 350.

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Every day is a gift from God.
FleetsidePaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 12:27 PM   #2
Boog
laying low

Re: My house stinks

Yeah those varments are nocturnal feeders so they stroll the neighborhoods at nite time. The dogs don’t like em either. I was told many years ago a mean dog and or moth balls would help. I had one spending days under my house and I sure wasn’t going in after him so I threw many boxes of moth balls under there and closed up the access hole while he was out. I got lucky.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 12:27 PM   #3
Liz
Catchy title goes here..

nastiest smell... we have them nearby also
Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 02:27 PM   #4
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

That smell can sometimes linger for weeks.... you're lucky your dogs didn't take a direct hit. No idea how to keep them away other than don't leave any dog food out where they can get to it.

Early one morning years ago I stepped out the back door and to my left, just a few feet away, was a skunk. Sure gets your heart started. It wasn't moving and my dogs ignored it. It was dead but had no visible damage. My wolfdog had just a slight odor on him; apparently he had killed it during the night. He usually just picks on small rodents like mice, rats, moles, voles....

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 03:13 PM   #5
Big Blue

Boy do I know what you mean, smell is bad. What my wife does is throw some moth ball around the yard where they come into the yard and that kind of keeps them and others away.

John

STILL Working on a frame up: 1987 Truck body on a 78 Blazer frame. Need cab blasted to start project. Got the cab BLASTED, Now Prep and Paint. Started to lay SOME BONDO and primer. Done, Ordering paint. Got paint, Stuff painted,Cab,Fenders, Hood more later. 9/7/2015 Got the clear coat on,now time to take one off. Started to put things back (What a nightmare) like the heating and AC stuff,inside wire harness, outside AC unit and booster, still more. May 2016, still working on the inside. Got duck work in,heating and AC. Radio (stock) in dash with after market in console later, Speaker are hooked up, Steering column is in. Getting ready to drop the cab onto the frame, Working on engine now since I have the room. Well here it is 2018, got the engine in and it runs, now I need to get the exhaust system in so I can adjust the lifters, to loud right now. Got the exhaust on now I am waiting for the break parts to come in.
Big Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 12:48 AM   #6
Sheepdip

Greased one with my 60 Impala years ago and it took forever for the smell to go away.
Sheepdip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 01:59 AM   #7
'63GENIII

Dawn dish soap (the original blue one) and baking soda. My old German Shepard / Golden mix got 2 skunks just a few months apart. Not before they got him both times though. Sprayed right below the left eye on the first time and just below the right eye on the second. Smelled strong like burning tires (and not the kind you get racing either). Horrible smell.

Vet wouldn't even let him in the building til I cleaned him up. Soap and baking soda made it tolerable and got him in the building but man...for about a year after, anytime he got wet, that smell came out pretty strong.

'63 k15 long step
Vortec 7.4 - L29 Blackbear tune, Five 0 Motorsports injectors, Chris Straub Cam, NV4500, divorced 205
52" front and 63" rear spring swap
D44 / 14bff - disc axles
Milemarker 9K and 10.5K hydraulic winches

63" & B52 Spring Install http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ng+swap+thread

NV4500 Reverse Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=reverse+build

L29 - 7.4 Vortec Build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...&highlight=L29
'63GENIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 04:44 AM   #8
Boog
laying low

I've heard a couple of times a tomato sauce bath will help a lot getting rid of the smell.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 10:14 AM   #9
Jrainman

Skunks can be a long term problem if they are living in your area , it can be a challege to keep them off your property , I have had more then once have to deal with them spraying my dogs , if this happens there is a very good recipe that works well to wash the smell out , Im sure you can find it online I cant remember what the ingrediance are but I do remember you have to mix it up fresh, you cant bottle it because it will explode , the other good wash that works really well is womens hygene wash (douche) Ive also used that for my dogs with pretty good results,depending on how hard your dog got hit will deoend on how many consecutive days you have to bathe your dog.it could be as many as 3 washes in a row.
Jrainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 07:52 PM   #10
special-K
Special Order

Try spilling paint reducer on the floor

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 08:59 PM   #11
GOPAPA
"Tail Gate Best Seat In House"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boog View Post
I've heard a couple of times a tomato sauce bath will help a lot getting rid of the smell.
I heard the same thing ,,rub tomato's all over ones skin to get rid of the smell.. a dog would be harder to do but a bath in tomato's worth a try
Old 08-14-2019, 09:25 PM   #12
special-K
Special Order

Tomato bath has always been the remedy I've known. Never had to try it tho'

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 10:15 PM   #13
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Try spilling paint reducer on the floor
The two smells will probably combine and make something even more toxic, though.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 10:26 PM   #14
kipps

Y'all puzzle me with your dislike of skunks. I operate a small dairy, and skunks are more than welcome here. They mess around in manure piles looking for grubs and maggots. Once in a while I smell them, but it's not a bad smell. It's fun watching a whole family of skunks wander across a cow lane. Neither the skunks nor the cows seem to worry about it at all.

Got one in a box trap once. The trap was intended for a groundhog, but got the wrong species. I wasn't paying attention when I walked up to the trap, and got hit right between the eyes. That was sunday morning, and needless to say, I didn't bother to go to church that morning! Despite his infraction, I let the skunk go on his merry way. For a week after, every time I'd take a hot shower, I'd smell the skunk. I didn't smell it otherwise, so I suspect the oils were somehow deeply absorbed by my skin, and only volatilized with heat.
1987 C6P V20 truck, 2010 LMG 5.3, AFM delete, 2010 Camaro exhaust manifolds, 1997 nv4500, 1991 np241c, hydroboost, 2005 14bff axle & driveshaft, drop-n-lock gooseneck, 4.10 gears, stock suspension, rims, and tires. Still a work in progress. Any questions or suggestions are welcome!
kipps is offline   Reply With Quote