The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-20-2019, 09:01 AM   #26
too much stuff
Roadtrip!

Re: Where are all the contractors hiding?

On the flip side of things, I haven't looked at any new jobs for over a month now. (too busy with what I have already) Most homeowners think that it is no big deal to just stop by and give a quote. They don't realize the time and effort into doing this. I put out quite a few bids this spring with MANY hours invested and not so much as a return call for even a simple thanks on quite a few of them. Worst year for that by far. I still get an occasional call now about giving an estimate, I tell them I don't have time and they still want a price on it. If I don't have time to do the job, why would I bid it?

Last one was a call from a guy about new siding and windows on a decent sized house. Said he was very serious about getting it done this year. I told him I had a day I could meet with him and he had to schedule a time for me as to not cross paths with the other 2 or 3 contractors coming the same day. I just told him to give me a call if they didn't work out.

So to answer the original question, the contractors are not hiding, Around here it is trying to find out who is serious and who is just shopping right now. Keep in mind it is a seasonal business here.
70 4x4/BB/bkts/posi/tach(retired)
70 swb (wifes)
70 jimmy camper
71 K-5 factory 2wd
71 cheyenne 4x4/tach/posi/ plow rig
71 Cheyenne20 BB, buckets, tach, tilt, 4 speed
72 jimmy CST wyoming rig
72 jimmy Colorado rig
72 lifted texas 4x4 3/4 ton burb
65 fury conv. 383/auto
65 chrysler 300 "L" 413 auto
too much stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 10:06 PM   #27
72 tigger

I primarily do interior work,bathrooms,kitchens and offices at some local factories. I told these concrete refinishing guys that are working at a furniture factory that I’m working at, that I’m impressed to see millennials working so hard (average age 27).
Attached Images

72 tigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 01:48 PM   #28
shifty
Questionable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boog View Post
I guess it's not just around here being hard to get anyone to show up for a small repair or quote. No one wants the quick cash small jobs.
There are definitely people out there who want the work and can do it, but unfortunately they're also putting out a level of quality I normally exceed, so I'd rather do it myself than pay someone and see the flaws in what they did every day I look at the work and kick myself later, which is usually what happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boog View Post
That's like heat/air work. For 20 something years I had a small freon leak in our home unit. I had numerous professionals come by and shoot a pound or two in it and be on their way. None wanted to find the source of the leak and fix it even though I had narrowed it down to the inside coil. If I wasn't looking to replace the complete unit they weren't interested in repairing mine.
Had a similar issue with mine - leak in evap coil on my upstairs unit. After 5 HVAC companies coming out, found one to replace and they were highly recommended by neighbors and two of our local realtors. Had them do the work. They made a customer for life with that, if I can't fix it, I call them. Unfortunately they just got rid of the guy who was willing to do the work. Called them last week to come out because it'd been 3 years since our last check-up and seemed like our upstairs unit was underperforming again.

Found out they got rid of my regular guy, sent some other guy out. He hooked up his gauges, I walk off to go do some other work, he pops up 40 minutes later, "you're all good!". Cleaned my coils with Nu-brite, said that was the problem. I clean my coils every couple years and spray out yearly in the spring, knew he was FoS. Never asked if I wanted the cleaned, but happily charged me $140 cleaning both compressor's coils. It's been 5-6 days, no change in performance at all. They just lost a customer for life. I'm considering calling to dispute the BS bill.

And that's ultimately my gripe with HVAC contractors. For every 1 good one, there's 9 scammers out there just looking to do unnecessary work and charge you. Meh.

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote