The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-14-2019, 10:49 AM   #1
72 paul

Overcharge alt after getting rid of external reg with internal

Followed very helpfull ways to do this but am stumped as to overcharge.Guage dash no dummy light.Ammeter never did work in this truck.Prior owner had remote reg still in truck wired up to internally reg alt.Got rid of remote reg and did rewire as Vettvett explanes blue to red white to brown then to plug on alt. Blue #2 white #1.Stummped
72 paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 03:01 PM   #2
Andy4639
Old member

Question Re: Overcharge alt after getting rid of external reg with internal

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72 paul View Post
Followed very helpfull ways to do this but am stumped as to overcharge.Guage dash no dummy light.Ammeter never did work in this truck.Prior owner had remote reg still in truck wired up to internally reg alt.Got rid of remote reg and did rewire as Vettvett explanes blue to red white to brown then to plug on alt. Blue #2 white #1.Stummped
So what do you mean by over charged?

Here is my conversion for the SI internal regulated alternators. Use the 12 SI from the mid eighties GM vehicles. following the directions I gave, you can delete the regulator harness and the blue and white wires, although you can use them to extend the brown and red wires. Of course you'll have to use an adapter to connect the wires to the alternator.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 03:56 PM   #3
72 paul

Re: Overcharge alt after getting rid of external reg with internal

Wired as drawing and have 19v at alt.Been over lots of stuff on the board here how to go about this.Should be simple,but not my day for that.
Old 08-14-2019, 04:55 PM   #4
demian5

Quote:
Wired as drawing and have 19v at alt.Been over lots of stuff on the board here how to go about this.Should be simple,but not my day for that.
Pull alternator and take to have tested at a parts store. Confirm its the alternator and not your truck.
1983 K2500 Sierra Classic Suburban 6.2
Instagram: C10sofOC
demian5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 06:43 PM   #5
72 paul

Yeah gonna go ahead and get another and up grade wires with kit from Mad.Stand up guy Mark Hamilton.Real people.Thank you guys for replies.
Old 08-14-2019, 08:07 PM   #6
firedemon

Quote:
Yeah gonna go ahead and get another and up grade wires with kit from Mad.Stand up guy Mark Hamilton.Real people.Thank you guys for replies.
you wont be disappointed he is a real smart guy
firedemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 10:38 PM   #7
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: Overcharge alt after getting rid of external reg with internal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639 View Post
So what do you mean by over charged?

Here is VetteVet conversion for the SI internal regulated alternators. Use the 12 SI from the mid eighties GM vehicles. following the directions I gave, you can delete the regulator harness and the blue and white wires, although you can use them to extend the brown and red wires. Of course you'll have to use an adapter to connect the wires to the alternator.

I should have put this as VetteVet info not mine.
Mad electric is the source of all my electrical info.
How did you check the over voltage issue, with a know good digital voltmeter are the truck gauge?
Have you blown anything up in the truck? If going by the truck gauges then I would say it could be the gauge itself. You need to check it with a good hand held voltmeter.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 10:48 PM   #8
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Make sure the large output wire from the alternator is connected to a wire that goes to the positive battery terminal, otherwise the alternator regulator cannot sense the charge on the battery and it will default to full output from the alternator.

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 12:16 AM   #9
franken

This isn't the first time I've heard of issues w/ alt style swaps not working as expected. I'd wonder if some step was missed, or misinterpreted.
Troubleshooting vs. replacing random parts is cheap vs. expensive. We all need to learn to troubleshoot.
My point is, we need to learn a bit of Ohm's Law, get a DVM, and think about what's going on. Ohm's Law only has 3 variables, all but one are typically constants, and one is a result (math joke). It isn't that hard.
Once we understand the basics of how the (electrical in this case) system works, we can think about what's going wrong. When you forgot your phone, and dead on the side of the road, you need this.
franken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 12:44 AM   #10
72 paul

I talked on the phone today with Mark for about 3 hours.I believe I'll have my problem fixed when one of his upgrade kits get here.So great to know real people exist.I explained my problem and got an education on many different aspects of wiring and other stuff as well.Gonna get new powermaster alt.100 amp. to.Told me I had it wired correct as explained and alt may have bad reg.Gonna have it tested,if good may keep for different truck.Thanks to all on this board who post all things involved with these trucks.I may have to keep this one now.There is always a solution.