The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-08-2016, 03:38 PM   #1
leftybass209

Intended purpose of our trucks

We've all heard it, and/or probably used the phrase at times, " I use my truck for it's intended purpose".

Often, it's a polite jab at differentiating a work truck from a show truck.

However, I do think it can create a friendly debate amongst us by asking, What is your truck "intended" for today?

What constitutes using a truck for it's intended purpose? Is it utilizing every inch of the bed dimensions? Maxing out the payload? Towing to capacity? Putting a camper on a camper special?

Prior to the mid-60's, it was apparent that trucks did have a singular purpose; to haul materials. Since, they've gained options and had ad campaigns with the goal being to more closely associate a truck as not just a work vehicle, but a vehicle capable at doing everything.

I love all vehicles, including work trucks, and those that will never see anything other than the occasional dust speck in the bed. However, i'm always open to hearing differing opinions.
leftybass209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 04:19 PM   #2
In The Ten Ring

Re: Intended purpose of our trucks

I intend for mine to haul stuff but look reasonably good while doing it. I really shouldn't have to borrow my dad's truck or even rent one from U-haul (I have done that) when I need to haul something. Often I've used my car when my truck would have been a much better choice but my truck was just sitting in my garage, with me stepping around it all the time. It needs to run and haul things. It needs to move so I can renovate the garage!

I entered a local car show once with a pretty minty car and was told "you need more chrome" and I thought that was extremely silly. I rather lost all interest in ever being in a car show again.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 04:24 PM   #3
blf

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftybass209 View Post
What is your truck "intended" for today?
I told people I bought a hobby... my truck's purpose is mostly to give me something to do that is different from my 'real' job. I work in management in a big corporation, it feels nice to put my hands onto something real.

It's also nice to drive sometimes... I will be putting a hitch on it eventually, and will not be afraid to throw stuff in the bed on a home depot run. It is very far from perfect and there's little chance of me ever making it perfect.
Old 09-08-2016, 04:48 PM   #4
Jarvis-69 GMC 1500CK

Driven and essentially just "not have to fear if I have to make it work" I.E not having to worry about scratching a 10000$ paint or getting the undercarriage dirty.

I dont knock ppl for making show trucks out of them, they are amazing looking trucks. But mine is my daily driver, and I use it. Just lastnight I took it into a ditch (on purpose) to retrieve some logs. I take care of it, love it, give it love, but i also do not want to fear putting it into "working" situations.

Then again, I live in northern SK and everything around here are gravel roads-not good for an expensive paint job.
Jarvis-69 GMC 1500CK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 04:52 PM   #5
BossHogg69
motor exploder

Burnouts, power slides around on ramps, scaring the crap out of anyone that rides with me when I hammer on it and pissing off late model pony cars on the freeway is the intended purpose of MY truck. Also, plenty of washing, polishing & waxing the killer paintjob that's on it. (I really like detailing automobiles). I built mine to be used as a toy. I just love fullsize GM trucks, long beds, 3/4 tons, duallies, whatever. I like seeing a longbed 3/4T loaded down with scrap iron cruising through town just as much as I enjoy seeing a 1/2 ton pull up beside me with a ground pounding big block that only hauls a$$.

I do all my towing, hauling, work & day to day stuff with my '05 GMC - it's a great 'dual purpose' vehicle.

1969 Chevy CST/10 stepside, DART Big M/TREMEC Magnum Extreme/3.73's w/Detroit Truetrac
1965 Chevy Bel Air Wagon (daily driver), 327/TH350,10 bolt w/3.08's
1961 Chevy Bel Air Sport Coupe, ZZ454/M21/9" rear w/3.50's & Detroit Truetrac
2005 GMC 1500 ccsb 2wd, 6.0L/4L65e/3.73 G80
2006 GMC 2500HD ccsb 4x4, DMax LBZ/Allison 6spd/4.56's w/Detroit TrueTrac

Use the SEARCH function on this forum - it is your friend!!
BossHogg69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 04:58 PM   #6
FirstOwner69

My 69 has been a recreational truck, a work truck a daily driver and, now, a pampered toy.

My wife and I bought our loaded 3/4 ton CST with all options required for the Custom Camper nameplate in 1969 to haul an 11' cab over camper that almost exceeded the GVWR. It was also my daily driver. A neighbor who looked at the truck commented how luxurious trucks were getting, almost like cars.

When we bought our first house in 1972, the truck's use was expanded to carrying building materials. At one time, I even drove nails in the wood bed to help restrain some windows. It was also now being used as my hunting vehicle and for towing a boat. In 1980, we bought a 1979 Blazer which eliminated the 69's use for hunting. In 1987, we bought a 1986 Chevy crew cab dually which further reduced the need for the 69. I almost sold it. That changed when the potential buyer told me how he was going to beat the crap out of it. About 1990, it was essentially retired to the garage. Other than an occasional start and drive, it stayed there until 2010 when I started the frame-off restoration.

Today, the heavy work is left to a 2015 Duramax dually.

So, we are now both retired and enjoying the leisure life. I guess it's a show truck, and I'm just another old fart who likes old trucks.
FirstOwner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 05:18 PM   #7
davepl

My truck spent 40+ years as a dependable family camper, and now it's retired. It's pampered and waxed and detailed, but driven. Not in the rain, but driven.

I have no qualms about pampering a restored vehicle... under the guise of retirement!
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 05:21 PM   #8
Coley

Smile Re: Intended purpose of our trucks

For me, mine is my primary local transportation thru the spring, summer and fall months and stored for the winter.
When I travel over to Vancouver on business I usually take my newer Silverado Diesel which is better on gas plus the big city just wastes classic vehicles in the stop and go traffic.
As for working the truck....I'm not afraid to put stuff in the back when required, but I try to put limit any excess scratches, etc by using a pad or liner when I can....and by the included pic, I don't mind towing our little camp trailer with it.
My wife is a Master Gardener and she uses it for hauling flowers, plants, etc around from time to time and she prefers the trucks overall height to our Silverado.
The truck is a really great, reliable driver and never fails to get a thumbs up or the odd 'do you wanna sell it' (which I never take seriously...lol)
all Good
Coley
Attached Images

2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 05:32 PM   #9
outfield

My truck, a 69 K20 I bought in April, was originally a small Airport fire truck and maintenance truck. It has hauled a load of fire wood, taken me back and forth to work, made a few Home Depot runs, been in a car show, and taken me out in the forest to go shoot'n and running the dogs. It's not my daily driver, but it is my all around do anything truck. I'm in the process of getting it ready to tow our camp trailer and may take it hunting this season too.
outfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 05:46 PM   #10
BILT4ME

The 70 K2500 GMC we just acquired is first of all, being a classroom instruction. I am using it to teach our oldest son what and how to do automotive work on what will be HIS vehicle.

Secondly, it will be a "first car" for a teenager. (That's probably the hardest job it will get!)

Third, it will be a mudder, toy, stuff hauler, Old Thumbs-Up Truck to gather attention in both positive and negative ways.

Fourth and most important, is it will be time when my son and I can spend time together.

Fifth, a source of confidence and pride for the next generation.
Old 09-08-2016, 05:50 PM   #11
Tuff Gong

Just reading the above comments makes you realize these trucks can be just about anything you want them to be. Hard to make that statement about any other vehicle.
Tuff Gong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 05:53 PM   #12
outfield

That's what is so great about a truck. It can do it all!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Atkinson View Post
Just reading the above comments makes you realize these trucks can be just about anything you want them to be. Hard to make that statement about any other vehicle.
outfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 05:57 PM   #13
custom10nut

I have a habit of keeping every vehicle I buy for A LONG time. I've had my truck the longest. I keep them in good condition, by not abusing them, and my truck is no different I haul stuff like furniture, mulch, rock, etc, but I take precautions to not cause undo damage to the bed, just like all my vehicles. Also, I make sure to not Boyce it off any trees or rocks on my small farm. Enjoy them, respect them, and don't abuse them.
custom10nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 05:59 PM   #14
71threequarterton

Home Depot runs

Hauling band equipment

Cruisin'

71 Chevrolet C20
94 GMC Yukon 4x4

71threequarterton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 06:12 PM   #15
samkost

It's great that everyone has their own personal preferences with regards to their truck. Some daily driver work trucks and then there are the show and shine folks.
Im in the process of restoring my '72 C10 1/2 ton.
With the money (whew!) I will be spending, it will be retired from the dirty chores of the 44 years past.
No more dump runs
It will however have a color matched Rhino Bed liner for incidental haulings.
My '99 Silverado is my daily driver and duty vehicle.

One of the best inventions ever....the American Pick UP
samkost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 06:36 PM   #16
RichardJ

Weekend before last, I took my son-in-law down to a builders supply to help him with a little project. First trip, we got a scoop of Base (gravel). Second trip, a half scoop of sand. Third trip a load of pavers.
He could have used his truck, but a 1/2 ton, short bed, 4x4 is, well I'm not sure what a truck like that was ever intended to be used for.
Old 09-08-2016, 06:51 PM   #17
palallin

I drive mine most days, and I have hauled heavy loads of furniture, rock, lumber, appliances, lawn mowers, wood, farm implements, camping gear, junk, trash, brush, track and car and tractor parts, and probably other kinds. I have towed trailers and pulled a complete building off its foundation and across the yard. He has been on the interstates and highways, farm roads and back roads, and places where there are no roads. I have used him to make myself bleed, sweat, and cry.

I have spent thousands of dollars in maintenance and repairs as well as a complete tear-down-and-rebuild about 12 years ago. As long as I own him, he will never be a show toy. He would be offended by that.
Old 09-08-2016, 07:48 PM   #18
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Great variety of replies above, and that's part of what makes these trucks so desirable. They can be just about anything you want them to be, and do just about anything you want them to do. Mine just happens to be more workhorse than show piece, which I see as a plus since there's no garage to shelter it from the weather.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 08:05 PM   #19
A1971Blazer

Chick magnet...? It was early spring when I bought my '70 Blazer.....I stuck to the back roads until I decided it would be OK on the interstate....... It was cool so I stopped across from the on ramp to put on my jacket (no top on the Blazer) and to check to be sure all of the lights were working properly.

I was standing in front of it when this little hottie came off the interstate and stopped right in front of me. She smiled and waved, and of course I returned in kind.....unfortunately and probably luckily, my wife was following me and saw the whole thing....needless to say she wasn't smiling...at all..... ......she's a good sport...she drives the Blazer often and loves it.....
Oh the days that this truck would have gotten me......well I'll just leave it at that......
1972 Chevrolet K/5 Blazer
A1971Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 08:43 PM   #20
Alex V.

My actual truck, my '85 C3500, substitutes as my DD sometimes, but the primary reason I can justify keeping it around is that I always expect to have some need for something that can tow in excess of 3 tons and haul large pieces of furniture, bulk stuff, etc. And I'm especially glad I've kept it now that me and the wife have bought a 30' travel trailer that will become our first "home" in <6 months and hopefully travel occasionally. Yes, I keep the truck nice and look forward to restoring it some day, but I wouldn't keep it if I never expected to have a need for a heavy hauler/puller again.

My '67 Suburban, on the other hand, is a family heirloom I can't replace, a 6 passenger family rig, my classic/hot rod for the cruise-in or the like, and while not as brawny as my '85, a capable hauler for as much as a mid-size vehicle, all rolled into one. Need I say more?

1985 GMC C3500 SRW, Sierra Classic, 454/TH400, white/blue.
Alex V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 08:45 PM   #21
Elliot949
Dan Johnston

For the first fifty years of my trucks life it did it all... it Hauled a 11' Slide in Camper, It pulled car trailers, it has hauled tons upon tons of rock sand and you name it... It has been used as a tractor pulling tree stumps out of the ground... It has pulled boats across the country...

This truck truly has been a workhorse...

From here on out It will get EXTREME light duty... I really do not see it doing anything more than hauling the tent and cooler to the car shows...

I can say that it is possible it will tow a Shasta Camping trailer to the car shows...
Attached Images

Haulin's Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=671130SOLD

B Bears Build Thread:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=744210

Last edited by Elliot949; 11-28-2017 at 09:52 PM.
Elliot949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 10:37 PM   #22
cypressbog
Go Pack Go!

Mines intended purpose appears to be to take up room in the driveway. Between working full time, taking care of our house and yard, honey do lists, 5th wheel RV trips, time sitting in the local tavern and golfing, there's no time for the old truck.
cypressbog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 10:52 PM   #23
truckster

It's a Blazer... It's obviously made for fun!
truckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 11:11 PM   #24
Sicklajoie
The Niner

Orange truck - cruiser driven 5-6 days a week from April-October
Yellow truck - daily driver/worker

In 30 years of driving I've had a 79 Jeep Cherokee and 4 GM 3/4 ton pickups. I've never owned a car.
Attached Images

Niner Progression Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=697183
Classic Trucks article: https://www.motortrend.com/features/...et-c20-driven/
Sicklajoie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 12:03 AM   #25
dmjlambert

My situation is same as blf described above. At the age and wear of this truck, its intended purpose is to provide a hobby, education, and entertainment for me. My initial plan (subject to change) is to fix up the cab to make it comfortable, make the truck mechanically sound, and keep the outside body the way Chevy and nature made it over the years since 1969.
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote