The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-07-2016, 09:23 PM   #1
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Making our trucks just a little bit safer

There is a thread in another area of the board where the driver of a 58 Impala was killed, and it really looks like the steering wheel was a large part of the tragedy.

Someone mentioned putting a double U-joint in the system to help a more safe collapse ... Has anyone done this on our trucks, and do you have pics?
Old 06-08-2016, 12:55 AM   #2
In The Ten Ring

Re: Making our trucks just a little bit safer

As slow as my truck drives, the only thing I need to worry about a head-on collision is being late for it.

I don't think there is much to be done with the basic crash design of our trucks......

ttt ?
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 01:12 AM   #3
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Some say it takes two bad drivers to cause a crash. I drive my truck exceptionally careful. Shame it's more for the truck than me body right? We all have our priorities.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring the truck from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s details, OEM identifications & part numbers, written in short order. 700+ images of assm., illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 01:27 AM   #4
Ruscal

I was giving this subject some thought as well. The stock shaft has a slip joint which provides some cushion, but more could probably be done to absorb impact. Some rack and pinion mods utilize 2 U joints, but it would be hard to say how effective that arrangement would be in a crash. I was steering wheel shopping a few weeks ago, and saw a Momo steering wheel mounting hub that had an accordion shell that was designed to collapse when impacted by your body. It is a good idea, but puts the steering wheel closer to the driver, which is not desirable in our crowded cabs. Maybe the best thing would be a multi staged telescoping shaft if you wanted to stay with the stock steering box location. That would not be too hard to engineer and build if you could keep the lawyers out of it. It would be a great product for companies like Ididit and Flaming River to offer. I would buy one, as my truck travels modern vehicle speeds without modern vehicle safeguards. Packaging air bags would be hard to do in keeping with vintage looks, and be challenging for engineers and costly to provide testing.
Russ
Old 06-08-2016, 01:54 AM   #5
sleepertruck72

I have not seen that video mentioned.. I am all for safety but 40+ years ago these trucks were made as safe as the times required..or as advanced as the technology made possible.. trying to retrofit safety into them would likely cause more failures in safety.. but that's only if you ask me. IF you could mount the body of these trucks onto a modern chassis and utilize the SRS , ABS, Traction Control, etc...now that would be interesting Maybe Ive had too many beers tonight
Old 06-08-2016, 02:34 AM   #6
midniteblues

have you ever tried too collapse a steering colum/intermeditate shaft in one of these trucks?

well i havent either.

but i did pull a few apart and i must say the force it took to get them apart probally would be equal too the force too get them too colapse.
if i could say it when it happened..... ouch!

i think for these year trucks your best bet for saftey is. bright lights, good brakes and tires,good suspention,frame and steering and also adding shoulder belts.

one can never practice too many good driving habits and being aware.

besides hitting the steering wheel ds window or rear window/back cab wall real hard i would just hang on for the ride and hope for the best.
'74 heald super bronc vt8. tecumseh powered moon rover.
midniteblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 04:46 AM   #7
Grumpy old man

3 point belts , headrests , even seat mods like dual armrests to help keep you in the truck . Once you start dumping tons of horse power 500 + in one you should consider boxing the frame or a new custom frame ( no limit ) and a 4 point roll bar with 5 point harnesses ! Accidents happen , how confident are you with a lap belt ? It's not 1970 anymore and the young drivers of today have never driven a car/truck without the safety of airbags ,disc anti lock brakes ,and now collision avoidance braking ? Ever wonder why they tail gate at 80 mph . Have a highway accident in a new car at 70 mph and most people walk away ,Have an accident in one of these trucks at 70 mph and you'll be lucky to be alive !

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 05:08 AM   #8
LEEVON

Steering columns are definitely a risk factor in older vehicles. I'm a big guy, and 50's and 60's vehicles seem to position it right in front of your chest with little space, basically a deadly spear. Also they often extend far down to a frame mounted steering box, so you could be dealing with 48" of shaft/column. I like to move them closer to the dash, and depending on steering arrangement have a joint just outside the firewall. Every inch helps. In my '50 chevy truck I moved the wheel almost 8" closer to the dash, the position is now much more comfortable and more safe. The overall length of the inner shaft is just above 24", much shorter than original. Most importantly though the "impact point" at which it could be driven backwards moved from the front of the frame where the gearbox was to just outside the firewall. That's nearly 2' of extra "safe zone" if you will, where I am less likely to be impaled in a frontal offset crash. That consideration, plus three point belts, power disc brakes make it about like driving a truck up through 90's technology, with exception of early ABS.
Old 06-08-2016, 06:01 AM   #9
special-K
Special Order

A head-on collision is always a bad thing, in a '16 or a '72. The column is already colapsible, which was a great step forward in safety that pretty much remained unchanged till very recent years. Now that there are so many unconscious drivers on the road taking the task at hand for granted, greater measure have been deemed necessary and people look back and see what came before as unsafe. The fact is, no matter what safety devices are deployed in vehicles, those mindless S.O.B.s are still out there trying their best (without realizing it) to kill you. That is the mindset required to survive driving out there today and that is the greatest safety device on earth, ever.

I have a head-on story I survived, it only took one bad driver, and I'm lucky to have survived. The steering wheel/column was involved in some of my injury, but could have died a 1/2 dozen other ways. If it had been straight-on I'd likely be dead for sure. But that most likely would have given me time to make some sort of evasive move. This fool, rather than zoom past at 50 mph 3'- 4' to my left as a million other vehicles had, suddenly cut right into me making the impact on my truck partially to my right. Everything in front of the cab was pushed to my right. He said he thought I was coming over on his side so he tried to go to my right, yeah right. It was a town bypass where the hiway made a zag to my left to meet up with the original road through town. I was just following the road and he was drunk.

My 23 year old niece was killed late April by a drunk who slammed into her sitting at a light. That also only took one driver to happen. People can blow a lot of macho hot air till it happens to them or someone they know.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 08:00 AM   #10
In The Ten Ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
A head-on collision is always a bad thing, in a '16 or a '72. The column is already colapsible, which was a great step forward in safety that pretty much remained unchanged till very recent years. Now that there are so many unconscious drivers on the road taking the task at hand for granted, greater measure have been deemed necessary and people look back and see what came before as unsafe. The fact is, no matter what safety devices are deployed in vehicles, those mindless S.O.B.s are still out there trying their best (without realizing it) to kill you. That is the mindset required to survive driving out there today and that is the greatest safety device on earth, ever.

I have a head-on story I survived, it only took one bad driver, and I'm lucky to have survived. The steering wheel/column was involved in some of my injury, but could have died a 1/2 dozen other ways. If it had been straight-on I'd likely be dead for sure. But that most likely would have given me time to make some sort of evasive move. This fool, rather than zoom past at 50 mph 3'- 4' to my left as a million other vehicles had, suddenly cut right into me making the impact on my truck partially to my right. Everything in front of the cab was pushed to my right. He said he thought I was coming over on his side so he tried to go to my right, yeah right. It was a town bypass where the hiway made a zag to my left to meet up with the original road through town. I was just following the road and he was drunk.

My 23 year old niece was killed late April by a drunk who slammed into her sitting at a light. That also only took one driver to happen. People can blow a lot of macho hot air till it happens to them or someone they know.
My mother was rear-ended by a drunken moron in 1986 while she sat at a light. She has never fully recovered from the injuries sustained that night. Since I earned my license, I have reported every single possible intoxicated driver I have come across. Once I got a cell phone, I have been able to stay with the possible drunk until law enforcement can show up and a few of them actually have.

Several times in the last few months I have seen merging drivers looking down while they merged! I have narrowly avoided two collisions those fools would have caused but only because I was fully alert and quick to respond.

I'm not too worried about what modern safety designs/devices my truck lacks. I would like a head rest though but I'd hate to change how cool my bench seat looks.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 08:13 AM   #11
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG View Post
There is a thread in another area of the board where the driver of a 58 Impala was killed, and it really looks like the steering wheel was a large part of the tragedy.

Someone mentioned putting a double U-joint in the system to help a more safe collapse ... Has anyone done this on our trucks, and do you have pics?
Was the driver wearing a 3 point seatbelt? Without it, doing anything else is pointless.
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 10:50 AM   #12
MartyW

As a distributor of Borgeson Universal products for over 20 years I know that they offer a collapsible intermediate shaft that can be incorporated into pretty much and car or truck that is front steer. A simple way to add safety to your new column install.
Marty from ididit
MartyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 11:37 AM   #13
Boyd67

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG View Post
Do you know where this thread is located? My dad's friend got killed the other day in his 58 impala. On his way to a cruise in and a girl in a 04 civic run off the road over corrected and hit Jimmie head on. Killed him and sent his wife to the hospital. The girl in the civic was walking around when the troopers got there. He was a nice guy and one of the first guys at the cruise in every month. This Saturday will be the first cruise in I have been to and he won't be there. I'm sure someone will hold his spot for him. R.I.P. Jimmie

-67' C10 SWB FLEETSIDE LS 5.3 4 speed muncie
Boyd67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 11:41 AM   #14
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Look I know everything new is miles better, if I was paranoid about accidents I wouldn't drive old cars and trucks as my hobby. But if I can make mine just a tad safer, why not?

In my lifetime of driving Ive logged over 1.5 million miles (not over the road trucking) just in my cars, Im a field service tech. Knock on wood, nothing major accident wise.
Old 06-08-2016, 12:03 PM   #15
67 chevelle

Quote:

Sorry about your niece Special-k , this same situation or similar has affected myself a few times , rearended sitting at a light , the slip double d shafts on the newer vehical move freely , just took one off a yukon denaily , the ones on our trucks , although they are double d , do not slip freely they have the same stuff in them that some u-joints use , some kind of plastic to keep them rigid . Good brakes and tires , 3 point seatbelts , good bumpers ,will all help in a collision ,to a point
69 Long Fleet , Custom , 6.0, 4l60 , AC , Medium Olive
67 chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 01:12 PM   #16
ptc

Telescoping shafts are available from many sources and are adaptable from many newer style cars/trucks to these old trucks IF you want to take the time to customize it and not just buy "Bolt-On" stuff....

Borgeson does have many top-of-the-line products and truly helpful people to support you with this too....

http://www.borgeson.com/Designing/basic.html
Old 06-08-2016, 02:09 PM   #17
davepl

If you've never seen it, this crash test of a '59 Impala vs a modern Malibu is scary:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtxd27jlZ_g

And before you moan about them ruining a '59 Impala, it's a four-door, and not the best year of Impala... and if it saves a live because someone saw it, all the better.
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 02:40 PM   #18
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Not your best year of the Impala. I love em, those and 65's are my favs.

But I do agree, a four door sedan 59 isn't the most collectible car on the planet.
Old 06-08-2016, 04:23 PM   #19
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

If I remember right, those cars also had the "X" frame on them. Another reason that car turns to mush.

Our trucks are pretty damn rigid, actually, too rigid, which is why people get injured, the force of the accident is transferred to the passengers.

My C10 has had 3 point seat belts since I started driving it 20 years ago. Disc brakes were a must as well.

My 65 Mustang was also almost immediately converted to 3 point. I drove it a few months with just a lap belt and I felt so "naked" driving it. Didn't like it. It too has power disc brakes.

3 Points. Disc Brakes. Good suspension and tires (not worn out 40 year old ball joints and shocks) and driving distraction free is about as "safe" as you can get in these old rides. Between my truck and mustang I log around 5-6K miles per year "in a classic."
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 05:47 PM   #20
70STOVEBOLT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd67 View Post
Do you know where this thread is located? My dad's friend got killed the other day in his 58 impala. On his way to a cruise in and a girl in a 04 civic run off the road over corrected and hit Jimmie head on. Killed him and sent his wife to the hospital. The girl in the civic was walking around when the troopers got there. He was a nice guy and one of the first guys at the cruise in every month. This Saturday will be the first cruise in I have been to and he won't be there. I'm sure someone will hold his spot for him. R.I.P. Jimmie
Here is a link: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=7618045

Owner installed options:
Front Sway Bar
Power Steering
Power Brakes
Cigar Lighter
Courtesy Lights
Deluxe Side Markers
Wiper Delay
Power windows
Power Locks
Sniper EFI

2015 Silverado 1500 LS 4.3/6L80/3.23 lowered 2" front & rear
70STOVEBOLT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 06:19 PM   #21
jocko

Install one of the aftermarket stock-looking steering wheels, it'll snap right off. But seriously (and this is a good subj) I think the 3 point belts are the best solution for our trucks and the best bang for the buck in safety improvement for an old vehicle.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 06:37 PM   #22
trac209

Quote:

Condolences on the loss of your niece. Very tragic since very avoidable,I hope the guilty party got jail time
trac209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 06:41 PM   #23
Andy4639
Old member

Lightbulb Re: Making our trucks just a little bit safer

That whole impala thing to me and this is me is a joke! They take a 50 year old car and smash the heck out of it into a new car right.

How much rust is under that 59 Impala you all are so worried about getting smashed up. Sure it want take the head on like a new vehicle but I bet if you put all new bolts in place of the half rusted out bolts and all new sheet metal the same gauge as factory that Impala my friend would come out looking a whole lot better!
Just my way of looking at it.
I drive one way and that's defensive all the time.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 06:57 PM   #24
Sicklajoie
The Niner

The 59-60 Impalas had the best ass end of any car ever made IMO
Unfortunately the X-frames on those cars didn't stand a chance in wrecks like that crash video.
Attached Images

Niner Progression Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=697183
Classic Trucks article: https://www.motortrend.com/features/...et-c20-driven/
Sicklajoie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 10:34 PM   #25
mike16

my 67 GTO had a colapsable steering column and quit a few other saftey features

I wonder if its a bit bias to have chosen the 59 60 impalas witht that frame. Airbags seem to help but only , like seat belts, if thier installed and used. I still feel much safer in my truck than in a Hundai, Daiwoo, honda or some smaller car,

I boughta 65 Catalina that had ben rear ended by a subaru. Both people in the subaru died, the driver in the cat walked away and later drover her car off the impound lot and drove it for several more years after that. Her husband bought it for her as a birthday gift in 65. she loved that car but after the accident had feelings of anxiety about owning and driving it. There was very little damage to the cat, New rear bumper, brakets and back up lenses and a new fuel tank was all it needed.

safety means staying out of an accident rather that surviving an accident

I always enjoyed those black and white drivers ed films from the late 50's. the ones where the cars wrecked and crashed. Always felt safer in an american car with a parimeter frame. parked at an intersection next to that punny littly asian bear can.

its about attitude, most of the time, other times its simply fate.

Last edited by mike16; 06-08-2016 at 10:46 PM.
mike16 is offline   Reply With Quote