The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Forums > Our Stuff... In Scale

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-08-2012, 08:47 PM   #1
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Bare Foil Update

Amazing what a difference a little detailing can add. The first shot is a bone stock assembled 1961 Chevy I recently acquired:

And this is after nothing more than bare foil work and an upgrade to more period correct whitewalls along with 1955 Chevy passenger car wheel covers.

I have authentic outside mirrors, antenna, and spotlights that could be added, but I think I may stop here. What do you think? I also bagged up the original wheels, tires, and wheel backings so the model can be restored to original if desired.

By the way, the newest package of Bare Foil I purchased proclaims “New Improved Chrome”. They aren’t kidding. This stuff is much easier to use than any I’ve tried previously. It comes off the backing easily, doesn’t fold up trying to get it to the model, trims nicely, and doesn’t leave any gooey residue.
markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 09:41 PM   #2
dave2953
Dave's not here, man

Re: Bare Foil Update

WOW! That looks incredible! I think the different back drop helps set if off, too. What's parked behind it? Amazing work! Did you do the storefronts, people, etc. too?
dave2953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 02:08 AM   #3
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

The car behind in the 2nd photo represents the 40 Ford coupe on the original (1960) AMT Trophy Series box cover. I have obtained a reproduction set of the original flame decals, which will be going on in the near future. Here’s a picture of the car and the image from the box cover.

And yes the buildings are all built completely from scratch, mostly styrene plastic strips and sheets, with a few aluminum pieces here and there. It represents the Universal Studios back lot set where they filmed Tarantula, Back to the Future, and The Car. The only store bought structural pieces are the balls on top of the building on the far right, the street light poles which are vintage Lionel train pieces, and the resin cast garbage can. The mailbox and Rexall hanging sign were machined out of aluminum by my son. Gort is a die cast birthday gift.

Some of the figures were bought pre-painted, while others were bare resin. My wife paints all the people being way more artistic than I am. This photo shows a bunch of new unpainted people.

This last photo is the latest and although not all of it shows, every building now has glass in the shop windows.

Last edited by markeb01; 01-22-2012 at 09:21 PM.
Old 01-16-2012, 11:23 AM   #4
slomotion
Old Duffer

Very cool! Looking at those pics it's not hard to "get back to the fifties"! Nice work!

'81 G10 Shorty Van

"Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement." Will Rogers

"Under promise, then over achieve."
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 03:38 PM   #5
Revoh

Smile Re: Bare Foil Update

Looks good! I'm a big fan of the old, original annual kits like that.

I actually just happened to buy some of that new and improved BMF yesterday. Glad to know it's better than before.

My car blog, for your reading pleasure.
Revoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 05:25 AM   #6
Torrey72
Rollin in my K5 toaster

Nice job. In the second pic it looks like the cop is looking to issue a ticket to the 61 for parking too close to a corner. LOL
Torrey72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 09:18 PM   #7
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Good eye! In real life he probably would get a ticket because there is normally a fire hydrant on that corner!