The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-16-2010, 07:15 AM   #26
eagleuh1

Re: This Should Be A Good Discussion

There weren't enough of them made to make finding parts easy and extremely affordable. My only real complaint has been the carrier bearing. Its the only thing I didn't have the tools to do myself(hydraulic press). I also like how easy its been to put a modern drivetrain in, like they were thinking about putting an LS in it all along. Now that's planning ahead.
eagleuh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 07:26 AM   #27
kacz81

In cab gas tank
2 piece driveshaft
other than that i think they got everything right
kacz81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 07:42 AM   #28
71meangreenc10
Its a Truck Thing......

5. Tailgate removal
4. 2 piece drive shaft
3. Back breaking bench seats
2. Lack of space in cab (and I am short)

And the number 1 reason I hate it is...........Chevy didnt produce enough so I could have more

Smitty
72 Chevy Blazer 4X4, Sloppy Jo, Mountain Climber. Wife says no more trucks. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=707378
72 GMC 1 Ton Motor Home, wife said no more trucks until she saw this one. Gen 3 6.0/4L80E 4.10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=761110
68 GMC Suburban was 3/4 ton, now 1/2.Wife shook her head
71 C30 Wrecker
71 C20 Scott-Bilt As weird as it gets..BB Cheyenne AC Truck
68 GMC Long Stepside. They keep following me home
71 C20 Longhorn/Ole Yellor
69 C30 Former Motor Home, Flat Bed time
71meangreenc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 07:52 AM   #29
RustyParts

The only thing I hate about mine is not being in it.

The math teacher said my son "Bubba" could be a mathmatical genius. cause he's got 13 fingers!
RustyParts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 12:41 AM   #30
prairewolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68jewel View Post
I bet there aren't many or none at all of the 50 with 427's in them. Hell, one can only dream of finding a 427 engine alone. Regardless of what it came in. And when you do, it's going to cost a pretty penny. If Chevy only made 50, I bet half of those were gone in 25 years.

The original post was a question of any dislikes we may have with these trucks, ... my only thought was it would have been nice for GM to have made some Factory Drag trucks, they did not. .... I dig these trucks anyway.
Old 06-19-2010, 09:36 AM   #31
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

I wish they had intermittent wipers back then.

Better AC circulation (more vents & works more with defrost)

A bit more leg room

They were pretty much on the mark with these trucks, just little snippets.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 11:55 AM   #32
Spoof

It has always bothered me that the top trim on the bed doesn't run horizontally but kind of tapers or tilts. I understand why...but I just don't like it.
Also I hate that I cant rest my arm on the back of the bench seat, the seat back is too skinny and there's not enough gap.

These are personal idiosycracies, however...

I can't believe no one has mentioned the heater coil housing/inner fender issue! Knowing this I don't think anyone can claim GM got it "perfect"
BTW my solution to this, remove top screw/screws take a hacksaw blade, slide it down inside and cut through the bottom screw.

HEY...I just noticed that in less than a month I'll have been a member for exactly 10 years, further more I'm almost at 1000 posts. I'm going to try and coordinate my ten year anniversary with my 1000th post for an epic post!

Last edited by Spoof; 06-19-2010 at 11:59 AM. Reason: I have an afterthought!
Spoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 12:01 PM   #33
weasel29gm
SLOW BUT SURE,BUT CLOSER

Don't hate any one thing, but if i did its easy to change. Thats the good thing from seats, wheels, gauges, drivetrains etc. Thats why I like 'em !!!
69 C-10, OWNED 35YRS... 350 over 30, 350 Turbo, 3:73 Posi P/S, P/B Black with red and black int. ''LOVE THESE OLD ''TRUCKS.......
weasel29gm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 12:38 PM   #34
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

The one thing I hate the most is more of a GM thing not just to 67-72 trucks. I loathe the SBC valve cover design. Stamped steel that needs at least 2 more bolts in the design. Very prone to oil leaks...

As far as the trucks go I'm not a fan of... the way the cabs are seamed together at the drip rail could have been done better.

The 2 piece drivelines.

Since I am 6' 5" I could use a little more room in the cab...

Another for gas tank in the cab being silly...

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 12:49 PM   #35
dan42

Fit and finish of doors and fenders was really sloppy - I think that could have been cleaned up quite a bit. But as soon as you start working on a new verhicle, you will appreciate all the metal fasteners that can actually be reused on our trucks.
dan42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 12:51 PM   #36
gregg72340

Gas tank in the cab is the stupidist idea I have ever seen in my life but when I was 3 and started riding around in my grandfathers 69 C-10, I rreally didnt notice that, but that is definitly what made me fall in love with these trucks. Possibly they should have thought a little further ahead and said hey our trucks are designed to last forever lets get some sheetmetal on them that might actually last more than 10 years. And the heater core box design is really stupid. As far as creature comforts dont forget the were built mostly as work trucks, Heat and a/c was a luxury then. But we all shouldn't forget we are lucky to be caretakers for these trucks and at least they are not FORDS!!!!!!!!
Old 06-19-2010, 01:00 PM   #37
70cst

Are there things on the trucks that I would like to change...You betch ya and some are mentioned here. But...if I wanted those improvements than I would buy a newer truck or possibly incorporate them into my truck. Good topic.

Factory changes I would like in my 1970:
Gas tank under bed
Intermitent Wipers
Stereo radio
Disc brakes
Power Windows
More interior cab space
Factory Rally Wheels (like the cars)
Head Rest on buckets seats.

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 01:21 PM   #38
tomtuna1978

gas tank in the cab is crappy, and the wind wing windows look crappy compaired to the solid windows but i do like the wind in my face from them. ive loved these trucks sence i was 10 when my dad got a 67 and put a 454 in it (we called it the boom boom truck), ive drempt about owning one of my own sence and now that ive got a 69 my life is complete. the beauty of these trucks and gm is that every thing just fits, you can bolt in just about any engine/trans/t-case/rear diff you want, they are universal. i will always be a chevy fan if for nothing but that ! no complaints here
tomtuna1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 01:31 PM   #39
heavy71chevy

My only beef with them is the rust issues..exspecially the roof sealer and the drip rails..I dont own one anymore but I will again..for now Im fixing up a 66' elcamino and having fun with it..just miss my ole 71' but at least itll keep going in parts.
heavy71chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 03:48 PM   #40
71 super

The only thing I hate about these trucks is the poor design in regards to rust trap areas- roof line, rockers and cab corners. That was some of the built in obsolesence that we are all accustomed to by now. The fact that there were not enough built? Something like 200,000 in 72 alone and not enough? Most I realize are in the form of a toyota or beer can etc. by now but there are still alot out there. Think about how many teeitup parts out in a year or how many parts trucks people have in barns, back yards etc. There are still lots of these trucks, they are just in a sad state of repair 40 years later- see built in obsolesence reference above. I really enjoy these trucks as they are simple in design, they are appealling to the eye and when you drive one people will wave at you, something they dont do in the new stuff. I like them because it takes you back to a time when people were not to busy to say hello and help each other out. That is why people get along here, it is the mind set that these trucks produce.
69 swb cst 6 cylinder/ overdrive
69 black/black cst bb swb
70 orange and white cst Canada built truck swb bb
71 black and white super swb bb
71 red and white super swb
72 green and white super swb 4x4
62 nova wagon 400 series Ls swapped
68 Camaro 327/4 speed- 1 owner, original paint
66 Volkswagen bettle
69 auto stick Volkswagen Beetle
71 super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 06:28 PM   #41
67chevy1series

now i dont know if it is becausce my dad was born in the 60s and he taught me to have good taste in tucks but there are so many good things about each year that it is hard to find the flaws but from my personal prospective i think that making a plastic and aluminum grille was stupid the whole truck is metal the you put a plastic grille what were they thinking one thing good about the gas tank is what if you forgot to put the gas cap on you can turn your head and look at the gas neck and see it when its in the bed its harder to see second i wish all 67 had disc and power seering and i wish that they could have made all of the 67 72 chevy truck years with the option of a small window but then 67 would be another 68 and 67 wouldnt be special like it is today but ilike the fact our trucks are all metal and people who were born in the 90s like me 95 we dont have to feel bad abuot not being born in the 60s cause then we would be like everyone else bought not built but now we can get the trucks and rebuild them built and NOT BOUGHT you take a guy who just bought a 2010 model he doesnt know all the little details about his chevy he knows its a chevy its a truck its got a v8 motor you take a guy that has 67 72 chevy rebuilt restored he can tell you what shocks he has what ball joints he has who reuplholstered his seat what motor what tranny what exhasut what brakes what the truck is made out of and he can tell you exactly how every inch of a 67 72 chevy can be bolted or scerwd to gether to form the most advance dtruck in the history of usa automakers for whoever read this whole thing sorry but just a lot of writng so after this just take a break from the computer

Last edited by 67chevy1series; 06-19-2010 at 06:28 PM.
67chevy1series is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 07:11 PM   #42
72gmcshorty

Rust from the factory had the be the worst option available. No one wanted it, but every one got it. FOR FREE!!! Cab corners and rockers, who would of thought moisture could hide in there?
Old 06-19-2010, 07:25 PM   #43
barryvanhook

Hummmmm ... well I'm not a big fan of the side mirrors on the 67-69's. With their longish stems, they vibrate like those on my old solid mount Harley ... and so does the image therein. I'd think the later mirrors on the 71-72's would be better. Does anyone know of a substitute mirror where the base would cover the 3 holes in the door from those early mirrors?

Barry
Old 06-19-2010, 07:49 PM   #44
BADPURPLE70CHEVY
406 Powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71 super View Post
The only thing I hate about these trucks is the poor design in regards to rust trap areas- roof line, rockers and cab corners. That was some of the built in obsolesence that we are all accustomed to by now. The fact that there were not enough built? Something like 200,000 in 72 alone and not enough? Most I realize are in the form of a toyota or beer can etc. by now but there are still alot out there. Think about how many teeitup parts out in a year or how many parts trucks people have in barns, back yards etc. There are still lots of these trucks, they are just in a sad state of repair 40 years later- see built in obsolesence reference above. I really enjoy these trucks as they are simple in design, they are appealling to the eye and when you drive one people will wave at you, something they dont do in the new stuff. I like them because it takes you back to a time when people were not to busy to say hello and help each other out. That is why people get along here, it is the mind set that these trucks produce.
I agree with 71super. The areas that hold water and produce rust is a bummer. Most people let them go and go and then once you get them you have your hands full. Just like the blazer near me that continues to rot and they won't sell. Besides that i love these trucks and always will.
72 4x4
BADPURPLE70CHEVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 08:20 PM   #45
red71c10
The Red Menace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoof View Post
Also I hate that I cant rest my arm on the back of the bench seat, the seat back is too skinny and there's not enough gap.
That's weird. I always rest my arm across the seat back when I'm driving and have no trouble. Maybe I just have skinny arms.

My biggest complaint on mine is the stupid hood latch right behind the plastic grille. That's why 9 out of 10 original '71's and '72's have a chunk of grille missing. People go to release the hood and end up breaking off part of the grille. I was lucky and found the missing piece to mine under the seat and was able to glue it back in.

"Driving is like coloring. Things get messy if you can't stay inside the lines."
red71c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 09:31 PM   #46
CG
BlahBlahBlah

I got nothing. Considering how many are still on the road today, I think they did a pretty good job.

A lot of the things people have listed they would change weren't even thought of 40 years ago. Good thing they are so easy to modify and fix to our own personal tastes.
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 09:41 PM   #47
72 tigger

The only thing I thought they really screwed up on were the full wheel covers- pretty ugly in my opinion- but an easy fix! Also, it would be great to be dicussing 67-77 GM pick-ups (why didn't they keep building them a few more years?).
72 tigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 09:47 PM   #48
70cst

Another point...If my 70cst with a factory BB... was a factory BB Muscle car...I would not be able to afford it. I know my truck will never be a fast vehicle or handle like a muscle car-but it still has a cool factor and still has that BB sound.

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!

Last edited by 70cst; 06-19-2010 at 10:11 PM.
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 10:08 PM   #49
turner15

My wish list is that they left the hoods alone love the 67, 68 hoods not my 71 square front
Or that the 67's had front disks like my 71?
Hate the dash pad. Why is it there? i made a full shave of mine. Now it is full steel and looks cool. Most don't realize as it fits in so well.
Gas tank is stupid however my 84 caddy donated her tank and it fits real nice under the bed. What about the wood bed. I love mine but I treat it like a fine piece of furniture! NEVER have I put a thing in the back of my truck. So as a hauler it must have been a bugger to say haul sand? Well if some one could bottle our addiction for these trucks and sell it they would make a lot of money
turner15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 10:13 PM   #50
Rat Bastid

its about the lack of undercoating and rust preventive measures that pisses me off most.... at 3500.00 out the door they could have done alot more than they did
Rat Bastid is offline   Reply With Quote