The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

View Poll Results: Do you favor Classic Carb'd Muscle, or Modern EFI LS Power
Give me that gas guzzling classic muscle 79 63.71%
I don't want to pump the gas, give me modern EFI LS Power 37 29.84%
You guys are missing out, I like something all together different (explain in post below) 8 6.45%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-31-2017, 08:01 PM   #51
i82much

Re: Classic Muscle or Modern Power?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_John View Post
Absolutely- GM spent millions of dollars developing the pcm and control strategies. That is part of the beauty of the engine.

I EFI'd my small block and it was worlds better than the carb but still.....
Yeah I mean I don't disagree. If you are talking about going to a junkyard and pulling a 5.3 with 50k miles on it versus any old school rebuilt SBC/BBC, it is not going to be close. The LS will be cheaper, get better mileage, make more power, everything.

All that being said, I like the old engines better, I just think an old truck with an old engine has character. But my expectations are reasonable so the quirks of a carb don't bother me.

I have my 396 K10 starting easily in all weather, take off immediately on a 0 degree day with an automatic transmission, and getting 11.5 mpg or so. Cruising in the low 14's AFR. It is not equal to a fuel injected ride but I'd say it is 80% of the way there compared to your average aluminum-intake 350 with headers, blocked heat crossover, and no choke or heat riser.
i82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 08:22 PM   #52
1972RedNeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeveedee View Post
I love those numbers! I worked on farm tractors back in the mid-'70s, and can't stand the smell of diesel, as fuel or exhaust, though, sadly. I'd do it in a heartbeat, if I could stand the smell. YMMV.
You can't tell a new gasser from a new diesel by the exhaust nowadays. If anything, the gasser exhaust has more aroma than the diesel.

If you use the right parts, the smell is of no concern.
Originally Posted by GASoline71 View Post
I once pulled an intake manifold for a cam swap... ended up with a full on drag car that ran in the 11's.
1972RedNeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 08:40 PM   #53
Overdriven

Personally I would love to keep my 67 old school. I love the 250 6cyl 3OTT for putting around town. But it's not as comfy on the highway as a v8 in overdrive is. I'd love to build a 406 sbc or a big inch bbc but it gets pricey when your goal is 600hp and you want a manual trans to back it up. It won't sound quite as nice but a junkyard LS with a turbo will get me better mileage and for less cost.
Overdriven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 12:07 AM   #54
Sweeet67

Sorry I've been out of the loop for a few days. I went with an in tank pump in a Boyd's tank. I have had to call fitech a few times for tuning advice, they have been great so far.
I will see if I can get a few shots of the tune pages posted in a few days. Out of town now.
Sweeet67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 01:32 AM   #55
trac209

I'm a fan of simple vehicles that have that old charm and cool factor that a original style engine provides. Is a few extra mpg worth it to you to do the swap? My truck gets used enough and really isn't great on gas but it's not my only vehicle by a stretch so it's not an issue. Anyone saying that it's a reliability thing sure the LS do have that touch of key anytime starting and smooth running. So do my carbed vehicles 99.9 percent of the time. If I need a LS powered truck I can buy one that I can abuse and will have zero issues worrying about for half of what it would cost to have my truck to run one. Plus no offence to LS owners but it really isn't the most visually appealing engine under the hood of a classic either.
trac209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 02:39 AM   #56
burnin oil

It all depends what you want out of the truck. I am old school and prefer a built SB with a big holley that will easily spin 7k RPM, others prefer BB power and the superior heads. My current DD. The LS motors are awesome power producers with great gas mileage potential but lack the low end power of the older gen 1 motors. Not a big deal unless its a hard used work truck. Personally once I retire, my K20 is getting a better resto and 700+ HP Cummins with a 6spd manual between the rails. Great MPG and low end grunt for getting around in the woods for getting fire wood, hauling trailers, and still being a blast to drive. Its all on your needs and desires. Sure if you have seen a small block they haven't changed but then again at this point you can say the same for an LS. Unfortunatly chrome doesn't make any of them any faster. I just wish someone would make good flowing exhaust manifolds for a SB like the LS swap cast iron manifolds. I can afford to loose a few HP for something that seals and rams horns do not fit raised port exhaust ports very well.
burnin oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 08:30 PM   #57
nikwho

I fall into the equation as being a lover of old school big block power, with EFI. While I appreciate the simplicity of how the rolled off the line as well as the turn key, drive cross country reliability of the new LS stuff, I personally like that my truck is old and like to keep it as such. So, with my '68 GMC C15, I've opted to build an all forged, solid roller cam 433" big block with FiTech MeanStreet EFI. Still looks like an old engine in an old truck, but has some conveniences that have come with technology. Itd be a little more friendly and "set it and forget it" reliable with a hydraulic roller, I guess. Mostly, like that everyone likes their truck a little differently! I like seeing what each guy comes up with on where he wants his truck to fall on the sliding scale.