The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-07-2020, 09:25 PM   #26
BCOWANWHEELS

Re: X or h pipe, your thoughts guys

I bet 99 % have never run a x or h pipe whove given the opinions
I BELIEVE IN JOHN 3:16
BCOWANWHEELS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 10:11 PM   #27
special-K
Special Order

I said I haven't. But I do know what an oxygen sensor is. 67-72 GM trucks don't have oxygen sensors. Yeah, I know a whole lot of people swap late model engines/control systems that require them, but what does that have to do with your question? This is not an engine swap related thread. If they give the sound you need, then use one. But I think the performance aspect is more hype than anything else.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by LockDoc; 03-07-2020 at 11:33 PM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 01:53 AM   #28
Greasey Harley

I run H pipes.
Why?
Cheap and helps with low end torque.
Any exhaust shop worth it's salt can burn in an H pipe, in 10 minutes flat.

My last dual exhaust, the H-pipe cost me an extra 15 dollars (yes, you read that right).

If money's not an option
...X pipe every time!
Why?
Quote:
Originally Posted by slammed57 View Post
say x-pipe because they just look freakin cool!
Greasey Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 04:42 AM   #29
'68OrangeSunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCOWANWHEELS View Post
I've run ''H'' and ''N'' pipes. I have no experience with X pipes.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 11:00 AM   #30
D.PASSMORE
One of the First

I've never ran a H pipe. I was told by more that a few folks that it would take away from low end torque for pulling and hauling. But, I'm going to try one on my Blazer when I put the new exhaust system in this year.

'71 SWB K/10 CUSTOM DELUXE (Chili)
'72 BLAZER K/5 Muscle Truck (Mule)
'72 LWB K/20 CHEYENNE (Blackie)
D.PASSMORE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 12:02 AM   #31
Molino

Quote. I said I haven't. But I do know what an oxygen sensor is. 67-72 GM trucks don't have oxygen sensors. Yeah, I know a whole lot of people swap late model engines/control systems that require them, but what does that have to do with your question? This is not an engine swap related thread. If they give the sound you need, then use one. But I think the performance aspect is more hype than anything else. Quote

An oxygen sensor and an air/fuel meter can be added to any engine. It is a valuable tool that will precisely tell you if your carburetor is adjusted correctly. It will also show if any changes or adjustments need to be made because of any changes down stream, ie. changes to the exhaust system etc. I was referring to this in my first post, and I am still wondering if going from factory exhaust to duals or from independent duals to a crossover, has anyone had to re jet their carbs or just do an adjustment? An oxygen sensor and an a/f meter will ACCURATELY answer these questions.
From everything I have read and people I have talked to, a crossover is always better than independent dual exhaust.

Ps this thread can now return to engine swaps and racing engines

Russ

Last edited by Molino; 03-09-2020 at 12:24 AM.
Molino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 12:31 AM   #32
BCOWANWHEELS

who cares about oxygen sensors
Old 03-09-2020, 05:19 AM   #33
'68OrangeSunshine

Just a seat-of-the-pants observation -- but when I got crossover exhaust on my 292, I noticed more torque. And it seemed to climb hills better. Granted the 292 L6 is already a torque monster, but this was more.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 05:50 AM   #34
Killer Bee

Quote:
I bet 99% of those that have ran either have not ran both and none all on the same vehicle so what then?

no should give their opinion unless they have compared all three styles?

Quote:
who cares about oxygen sensors
everyone with LT, LS, LSX, TBI, TPI, or any myriad of aftermarket EFI systems like FiTech, Holley, Edelbrock, etc.

this includes a very large portion of members vehicles on the forum, possibly even in this thread..
Old 03-09-2020, 07:36 AM   #35
Mike C

I had a cat back exhaust on an ‘84 Corvette made by Magnaflow. It had an “H” or balance pipe between the two banks. Compared to the stock exhaust, it dramatically reduced the drone that C4 cars had between 1600 & 2000 rpm.

What is interesting about that setup it is just AFTER the singe monolithic cat which one would have thought acted just like a balance pipe since the engine pipes merged together then entered the converter then split into the individual mufflers. But even in that combo the H pipe reduced drone.

That was a fairly long pipe at about 18”. My ‘69 Camaro has one that was put on in the 80’s and is about 10” long where the pipes come in close to run down the driveline tunnel. Car has Flowmasters on it and IMO, it is one of the best sounding cars I have heard with 40 series mufflers. Not sure if mufflers changed over time, these were bought in ‘85 and were one of the first sets I had even seen.

I have a Pypes setup for my ‘64 Corvette waiting for the 427 install that is an X. Will be interesting to see how that works and sounds.

I would put one in if you have a large pipe performance exhaust system and packaging it in your vehicle is easy enough. I elected to NOT put one in my Jimmy because packaging is a PITA with the short wheelbase and transfer case. Jury is out on my short step but will make that call when it is at the exhaust shop.
68 Camaro 'vert LT1 & TH700
69 Z/28 355 12.6's @110
69 Chevy Short Step 4 1/2"/7" drop
72 Jimmy 4WD 4spd 4" & 35's
02 GMC 2500HD 4x4 Duramax
Mike C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 09:06 AM   #36
Ironangel

"Pipes right, J's left" "Dave's not home!" "He took the "H" pipe and flushed it with the X's...I hung iron for 40 years so I could kick back and restore a couple of 72 C/10's, one to tow the one that goes. They both sport my hand made (and engineered) custom duels with matched Thrush turbo mufflers. The last thing I want to do is tie my duels together in an attempt to make them quieter or to scavenge a trivial performance gain. I can read the plugs, hear the motors breathing and change that zinc laden life extending oil often..."Aint no trash in my trailer" and no computerized rollers in my stable either..."Puff puff, pass pass" "Nasty Sally" did get a new 500HP mill last week." Cheers!
71 C/50 Grain Truck, 350 Split-Axle 4-Speed
02 3/4 ton Express
14 Indian Chief Vintage
1952 Ford 8N, "Only Ford Allowed On The Property"
"Be American, Buy American"
Ironangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 10:19 AM   #37
special-K
Special Order

Yeah Mike, one reason I've never entered the world of crossovers, other than no one did when I got started, is I mostly run 4wds. Usually lifted, too. I also think of frame flex on a 4wd and a crossover. I also like as few welds as possible on my exhaust since that's where they commonly fail. I had bought headers, mufflers, and an H-pipe to do an exhaust on my '67 project. I decided to sell it because I'll be getting a custom system built. So I guess my '67 will have a crossover.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 03-09-2020, 05:22 PM   #38
BCOWANWHEELS

every bit adds up
Old 03-09-2020, 06:50 PM   #39
bigsnookmaster

I have ran both. H pipe first and X pipe for the last 25 years. Once you go there , you won't go back!
bigsnookmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 08:48 PM   #40
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
But I think the performance aspect is more hype than anything else.
I agree 110%!

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 10:57 PM   #41
tim_mc

This from SuperChevy:
X-pipes and H-pipes Add Easy Horsepower, but Which is Best for Your Ride?
http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/exh...for-your-ride/
Old 03-09-2020, 11:00 PM   #42
Killer Bee

^ something around the end of the first paragraph of that article sounds vaguely familiar
Old 03-10-2020, 07:59 AM   #43
custom10nut

Many moons ago (like 20 years), I put an H-pipes setup on my truck. I was putting a whole new exhaust in anyway, so I figured, why not?
This was before the X-pipe craze came in.
The “balancing out pressures” theory is plausible, but with high flow mufflers, is the theory effective?
I can understand the “straight line flow of gasses” theory with the X-pipe
I don’t know about improving performance (I don’t have a hi po engine) but the H-pipe did improve the sound, and reduced the noise resonance in the cab.
I’m sure there’s a scientifical theory and places have studies, but I’m just making an observation here
custom10nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 09:35 AM   #44
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Bee View Post
^ something around the end of the first paragraph of that article sounds vaguely familiar
My point is not to argue the scientific fact, it's to ask how significant that fact is, and I don't think much at all. Dual bank exhaust of larger diameter than stock single exits more gasses and with a crossover it's a tiny bit more. Also factor in that custom dual exhaust designed for better flow, not just two pipes instead of one. So, not balanced flow throughout the 720* rotation? Some gases get lost for a moment each rotation that occurs a couple thousand times per minute. At 1200 rpm that's 20x per second, right? Not much time to get very lost. And lost? Aren't the gases still in the one and only pipe they entered? Doesn't the next pulse push the "lost gases" right out a 20x split second later? I notice a constant flow from my tailpipe. The only time such performance gain matters in (my) real life is on the drag strip where open individual pipes rule because it's wideass open throttle-only. I guess road course racing is closer to real life, just more throttle. It could make a difference there.

This thread is like a carburetor thread. Do what suits you. One will work better for some while the other works well for others. For me crossovers are to give desired exhaust note. At least I feel that is all I will ever notice. I can't imagine H or X making much difference either way. I would think the X would flow slightly better.

Tim

Old 03-10-2020, 09:49 AM   #45
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molino View Post
I really was hoping that someone with an oxygen sensor on their exhaust would chime in to this thread. I’m curious as to the tuning/jetting changes that are required to get the air/fuel mixture to optimum after tying the exhaust together. Changes to the exhaust will have changes to the induction, but how much, if any.
Old school guys used to say that if the intake plenum was shared between both banks of an engine that the exhaust should be tied together also.
Russ
Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K
^^^ I don't expect any of that to apply here. BTW, what is an oxygen sensor?

Maybe start a thread in the Engines forum or Racing and Hi-Perf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molino
You are right, if you don' know what an oxygen sensor is, none of it applies or matters. Point being , if you install a crossover there may be some jetting/tuning involved...
or not..
Russ
My TBI equipped dually has a 461ci bbc using 1.75" full length Camaro headers w/3" collector flanges & a heated o2 sensor on the drivers side header. The headers discharge into dual 3" head pipes w/a 3" removable 'H' pattern crossover & 3" in/out mufflers. The 3" diameter portions of exhaust are all located under the body & then it reduces down to 2.5" dual tailpipes under the bed which exit @ the rear bumper.

Pretty (very) quiet for a BBC/full length header/3" exhaust set-up. The cross-over piping doesn't seem to impact the o2 sensor @ all. It's always run fine/normal. My combo is a little more aggressive than stock but the only 'issue' from Day-1 is a slight surging @ idle speed that my research suggested could be expected w/the TBI's computer limitations.

I did the 'H' pipe to help quiet the exhaust & minimize any possible droning. My 64 has a similar 2.5" set-up. My BBC 67 will have the 3">crossover>2.5" as well.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.

Last edited by SCOTI; 03-10-2020 at 10:01 AM.
SCOTI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 10:02 PM   #46
BCOWANWHEELS

I,am doing 2.5 pipes and considering 3 in h pipe close to end of trans
Old 03-11-2020, 10:40 PM   #47
SCOTI

Quote:
I,am doing 2.5 pipes and considering 3 in h pipe close to end of trans
Why the larger size for the 'H' section?
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 10:51 PM   #48
BCOWANWHEELS

Flow
Old 03-11-2020, 11:01 PM   #49
72c20customcamper

X pipe for pure power better scavenging. But for best sound nothing beats a straight pipe to the glass packs with a healthy cam. Just sounds impressive. Yes you lose hp and torque but the sound pure heaven
1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 11:06 PM   #50
Killer Bee

cherry bombs!