The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-06-2024, 02:20 PM   #1
Modsqaud69

54 dash and roof

So I'm a long time watcher, first time poster. I recently bought a 54 project truck for my 60th birthday. I have wanted an AD truck since I first saw my dad's cousin's 50 when I was a little kid. But life always got in the way of my dreams of owning one. But with age comes extra time sometimes, so I bought one.The dash didn't seem right to me but it's the first 54 that I've seen. Have looked all over the internet and haven't found a good picture of an original.
A PO has chopped the roof and I think it is missing the center support brace. Any help would be greatly appreciated. And by the way hello from east central Indiana! I tried to post pictures but it wouldn't let me,probably because I don't have a computer and trying to do this on a phone. Some kind of security issue.
Modsqaud69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2024, 02:25 PM   #2
Modsqaud69

Re: 54 dash and roof

I think I figured it out

Last edited by Modsqaud69; 04-06-2024 at 02:28 PM. Reason: Try to post pictures
Old 04-06-2024, 02:32 PM   #3
Modsqaud69

Try this
Attached Images

Last edited by Rickysnickers; 04-07-2024 at 10:16 AM.
Old 04-06-2024, 08:30 PM   #4
mr48chev

This green dash is a pretty well a stock 54 Dash. At close enough to see what one should look like.

About the only thing 54 on that truck is the cab. the nose is 47/53 and the frame is ?? somewhere between mid 60's and mid 80's Chevy full size truck an I think 4x4.

In those photos I am not seeing a chopped top, it looks to me like someone replaced part of the roof at one time cutting across the roof and using that scab patch to hold it together. 54 trucks have curved one piece windshields and do not have the divider like earlier flat glass trucks.

The middle of the dash looks like someone's idea of customizing and that may have been a fix for a damaged radio grill section. No one sells a replacement in the aftermarket for that section that I know of.

I'm not how to say it without sounding offensive but I hope that you didn't pay over a few hundred dollars if that for that pile. It very honestly looks like someone's thrown together pile of pieces that they pawned off on you claiming that it was a truck.

Now, what is your plan and the build you want to do? Meaning how would you like to build it to be the truck you want and not settle for? If it is a 4x4 and you don't want a 4x4 we can help you figure out what the chassis is and then you can sell the chassis to someone who wants to use it for a 4x4 build on something. If you want to do it as a 4x4 head on.

When you get it sorted out post photos of the cab from several angles and of the other pieces and we can help a bit more with ID of what all you have.
Attached Images

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2024, 10:57 PM   #5
Modsqaud69

Good eye! It's a 78 c10 chassis and I have read enough to know they don't work with an AD truck. I'm like a lot of people on here that are trying to build with a budget, so ive been looking for a s10. And I know it's an early front end. I'm ok with that. I actually like the earlier front end better. Rob
I go three doors with this truck and the stock door won't fit the opening.
Old 04-06-2024, 11:03 PM   #6
Modsqaud69

In one of the builds I read today, the guy had a picture of the inside of his roof and it looked like there was a brace from one side to the other. And I wondered if mine was supposed to have a brace. Rob
Old 04-07-2024, 10:45 AM   #7
leegreen

no brace, but there is a light piece of molding to hold the headliner. it is not structural
leegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2024, 02:43 PM   #8
Modsqaud69

Thank you Greenlee. Rob
Old 04-07-2024, 02:58 PM   #9
NWA58

If I could turn back time, I would have scrapped my twisted cab and found another. It has cost me lots of time, money and frustration and my truck is still not finished. Doors not fitting is a huge red flag. Here is what I would suggest:
Use the cut cab if it suits your needs
Sell the c-10 chassis
Keep the good parts you may want to use
Buy another cab and frame or roller project and blend the best of what you have
Know what you want the finished product to be and work toward that.

Last edited by NWA58; 04-07-2024 at 09:33 PM.
NWA58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2024, 03:11 PM   #10
leegreen

lets not write that cab off so quickly based on these few pictures. economical project trucks are not so easy to come by. but the wrong starting point is not economical in the long run

is there rust?
what is up with the firewall?
are the floors new? cab sills? front cab supports?
where do the door fit problems show up?
how well finished is that seam across the roof?
Are the pillars and back of cab welded too? -Shove a snake camera up each and see if got any rust proofing at the time of welding?
Old 04-08-2024, 03:40 AM   #11
dsraven

if you could post a few more detailed pics of each part that would help. cab from all sides, then what you have for parts.
kinda make a list of what you have that will fit together. a 54 is a different bird than it's predecessors because it has a one piece windshield along with a few other one off's. are you looking for a chopped cab truck or this one just came along? personally i would sell off the 78 frame if you can and try to find a frame that will fit. a stock frame may be more plentiful than you think because guys do S10 swaps but then it will need a bunch of work as well likely. I am not opposed to an S10 swap or a frame from another truck either but it has to fit the track width and wheelbase or be able to make the wheelbase fit. joedoh, a member here, has done so many of these S10 swaps he can do them in his sleep and also makes parts for doing the swaps. you could try a pm message and get his take on what you have and what you wanna end up with. the rest of us will do our best to answer questions you have but some good pics of what you have to start with really helps
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2024, 05:21 AM   #12
Modsqaud69

Thanks guys for your responses. Rob
Old 04-08-2024, 11:04 AM   #13
MARTINSR

Yep, looks like a very mild chop, just a couple of inches. Is the roof warped up or is that looking pretty good?

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2024, 11:11 AM   #14
MARTINSR

Here are a few photos of that brace. I removed mine off the roof drilling out the spot welds and just put it up there now with screws. I will be sand blasting it and mounting it better but will remain with screws I'm sure. I'm not sure of the "not structural" thought. I am thinking it is structural, just not much.

The stock headliner is cardboard. It was in two pieces and it meets there at that brace held in with a little loop of metal.

I will have foam up on top as a little "support" to the roof skin.

My roof is chopped 2.5 inches.

Brian
Attached Images

Last edited by MARTINSR; 04-08-2024 at 11:26 AM.
Old 04-08-2024, 12:26 PM   #15
leegreen

There are different headliners listed on some sites for pre 1950. I wonder if that brace was earlier models only? My 1952 and 1953 did not have it and both had headliner in place when I got them.

There are quite a few small differences in the cabs over the years. I think 1950 or 1951 was the first year for the wind-lace that slides into track - it also holds edge of headliner over doors.

I have not put a headliner in my 1952 yet, just driving around with the silvery insulation up there. Pretty sure the center bow I have in the shop is just intended to tuck behind windlace as well. it has a channel bent into each side for the headliner to slip into. The rear bow is still sold but I don't see the center bow listed anywhere
Old 04-08-2024, 12:48 PM   #16
MARTINSR

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Brian

Old 04-08-2024, 12:52 PM   #17
MARTINSR

Yeah, just looked at a few parts sites and there are two different headliners 47-53, never knew that. Hmmmmmm

Brian

Old 04-08-2024, 01:02 PM   #18
leegreen

and then there is this one
https://www.whitewolfspeedshop.com/p...ruck-headliner

"fixed center bow strip"

but the pictures don't tell me anything
Old 04-08-2024, 05:59 PM   #19
Modsqaud69

It's a two inch chop. The pillars look good but the roof has a little wave in it. I don't think it's anything that I can't handle. The cab looks really solid with a good floor and inner cowls. The kid I bought it off of tried to replace the firewall to make it smooth. I think it was over his head and he bailed on it. The only really bad spot on it is one of the running boards is rotted out on one end. The plan is to put it on a s10 frame and go from there. Thanks for the. Suggestions. Rob
Old 04-08-2024, 07:13 PM   #20
MARTINSR

If the frame is in good shape, keep it. A frame swap is simply a "Time swap" "Money swap" and "work swap". The same time and money and you can modify the stock frame and it's way nicer. Second of all, do you REALLY need those mods? Are you towing a boat down mountain roads? If this will be your typical cruzer A dropped axle with the new style springs and you are good to go.

Brian

Old 04-08-2024, 07:14 PM   #21
dsraven

I think the frame was a 78 chevy so not gonna fit.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote