The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-28-2020, 03:48 PM   #1
techsan40

Another Lean question but I searched!

Alright, so i have the famous chevy lean and I just bought the truck a week ago. It is already lowered on a belltech kit and i have replaced the blown shocks due to sitting so I've had it apart. I do need bushings and balljoints just about everywhere but this feels more like a spring issue. Springs are fairly new, sooo:

My question is for those of you with a lean issue, does the side its on in the front produce negative camber? or does everything look fine and it just leans? That is the answer i couldn't find in my search. My driver side is 1" lower and the wheel and tire have a good bit of negative camber.

Any advice is welcome
techsan40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 04:15 PM   #2
TrailerTrash

Re: Another Lean question but I searched!

Sounds like the alighnment could be off or something like a control arm could be bent.

Have you checked the body mounts?

'77 C10 350/350 2/4 drop and a mild street engine
TrailerTrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 04:33 PM   #3
techsan40

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailerTrash View Post
Sounds like the alighnment could be off or something like a control arm could be bent.

they aren't in great shape but would that cause the negative camber? That's why my issue seems different than others. It drives straight so i don't think that the alignment is off.
Old 04-28-2020, 05:02 PM   #4
techsan40

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailerTrash View Post

Just got it on level ground and took some measurements. After all the lean threads i've read i went ahead and measured the rear wheel wells also. Looks like a body mount issue now.

Driver Front: 26.25"
Driver Rear: 26.25"

Passenger Front: 29"
Passenger Rear: 28.25"
Old 04-28-2020, 07:10 PM   #5
75gmck25

Body mounts are relatively easy to replace, if can get all the bolts out without anything breaking. Multiple applications of penetrating oil over several days will help a lot.

I replaced my truck body mounts in the driveway, using a small floor jack and a vertical 2x4 to support and raise each part of the truck as I replaced them. I bought poly mounts because they are supposed to last longer, but found them squeaky even after using liberal lubrication before installation. However, they did quiet down over time.

Bruce
75gmck25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 09:03 PM   #6
techsan40

They are in bad shape but before i buy them, they don't look any different from the low side (driver side,left upside down image, not sure why its upside down) and high side (passenger side, image on the right).
Attached Images

Old 05-04-2020, 12:58 PM   #7
MikeB

Quote:
Originally Posted by techsan40 View Post

Driver Front: 26.25"
Driver Rear: 26.25"

Passenger Front: 29"
Passenger Rear: 28.25"
Are you saying that the drivers side front sits 2.75" lower than the passenger side? Or am I reading wrong? That's not a lean, that's almost a capsize!

Heck mine was around 3/4" off, and I thought that was a problem! Solved it with new leaf springs.

Negative camber could mean a number of things, including a bent frame or control arm. Or it could simply be a product of the severe lean.
1981 C10 Silverado LWB -- sold, but wish I still had it!
1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Retired as a factory automation products salesman.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 23 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!

Last edited by MikeB; 05-04-2020 at 08:42 PM.
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 05:06 PM   #8
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Do you know if part of the lower process was done with springs or spindles or combo. With that much different, I'd say that the drivers side spring is cut /set differently than passenger side.

Since you have ball joints and all to do, I would handle them and check the springs while you are getting that stuff straight.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 07:40 PM   #9
techsan40

Feel pretty dumb but I was Inspecting the suspension again and noticed the previous guy has a strange spacer on the spring on the high side. Gonna pull it this weekend, see where everything settles and then go from there but that is the issue. Couldn’t see it when the truck was jacked up very well. Had to crawl underneath without being suspended to see. Don’t judge my undercarriage, I just bought the truck haha.
Attached Images

Old 05-06-2020, 09:31 PM   #10
MikeB

Well that looks more than just a little strange.

Sure would explain the 2.75" difference from side to side.
1981 C10 Silverado LWB -- sold, but wish I still had it!
1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Retired as a factory automation products salesman.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 23 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 09:54 PM   #11
techsan40

Got it out and now i just have the 3/4” Chevy lean. These are the stock height tires on a 4/6 so I reckon he put the spacers in to clear the tires and the drivers side fell out. Wasn’t that way when I purchased it so that’s what I’m guessing. All good now though. On the hunt for wheels and tires that’ll fit properly now along with replacing all the BJs and bushings in the front.
Attached Images

Old 05-14-2020, 06:40 AM   #12
LT7A

Thanks for reporting back. I wouldn't feel dumb about not seeing that, who's looking for a chunk of something jammed under their spring. Glad you got it sorted out. Start a build thread and show us what else you do!
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 03:42 PM   #13
techsan40

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT7A View Post
Thanks for reporting back. I wouldn't feel dumb about not seeing that, who's looking for a chunk of something jammed under their spring. Glad you got it sorted out. Start a build thread and show us what else you do!
Thanks! Here ya go:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...97#post8741897