The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-15-2022, 09:43 AM   #1101
dsraven

Re: S10 Swap how to

Iwould say you should keep that cross member if you can. it is likely there for frame strength and to keep the frame from twisting from the stress of the torsion bars. the torsion bar cross member is only connected to the bortom frame flange and it carries the weight of whatever the front suspension is carrying. that cross member is connected to the bottom and top frame flange. I would notch it like joedoh's pic shows rather than remove it. manufacturers don't spend money on stuff they could do without. if it really needs to go then build another one that does the same function and install it behind the torsion bar cross member maybe, then remove that one. that way that cross member will keep the frame from "springing" until the new one is in place.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 02:44 AM   #1102
JayB22

I think I’m going to give it a try to just notch the cross member and see how that works. I’ve got a few ideas on ways to fabricate some additional bracing if required.

I also wanted to give a huge thank you to everyone that’s contributed in this thread and the one that I started asking some questions about a 4x4 swap. Using the body mount ideas and input everyone’s given I was able to get my body mounts built and tacked into place. I set the body on and loosely bolted the fenders on and the fitment looks great. This thread has really helped me get a more clear direction on how to get started with this swap.
Attached Images

JayB22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 09:35 AM   #1103
dsraven

looks great. you got lots done in a short time. next I would fit the hood just to make sure the rad support is at the correct height and everything it square. the hood is hard enough to fit on a stock truck let alone a frame swap.
post up a few more pics as you go
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 02:49 PM   #1104
Father&son56project

Re: S10 Mystery Beep!

I am currently working out little bugs in my S10 swap, and I believe I am down to one last thing. I'm running a stock '96 S10 wiring harness (thinned out to remove warning lights, seatbelt sensors, radio system, ABS, etc) and whenever I go past 50 mph I get a steady, low volume, high pitched "beep beep beep beep.....". As soon as I drop below 50 it goes away. I can't drive it and crawl under the dash to find the source at the same time, and I can't find any obvious source of the noise when I look under the dash. Does anyone know what the source of the phantom beep might be?
Father&son56project is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 10:11 PM   #1105
joedoh

its your aftermarket speedometer, most have a speed alarm option and it seems like yours is turned on. check the manual for how to turn it off!

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 01:21 PM   #1106
Father&son56project

Yeah.......that was it.......
Old 05-17-2022, 06:36 PM   #1107
joedoh

been there!

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 09:02 AM   #1108
Father&son56project

S10 Swap Economics

S10 swap economics

My build has reached the point where I have a safe, running driving truck that has passed a safety check and is licenced & on the road. I thought I'd detail what the S10 swap cost me to do as many people may be weighing their options, especially in cases where money is a major concern. I posted my build (Project Fargolet) on this forum because this is the single most detailed S10 swap site on the web and I received a ton of help from the great members here. This is just an FYI for anyone interested in the actual cost of doing this swap. Note that these are the costs that I incurred, and every case will be different. Also, I am in Canada where parts prices are easily double those in the States.

Here’s the breakdown (let’s assume we are starting with an old truck that we already have. I won’t include this in the price as every case is different and we need to compare apples with apples). I happened to start with a ‘47 Fargo but it really makes no difference what the truck is.

S10 Donour vehicle: $1500 Canadian (that’s $1168 US Dollars)

I paid a little more for a low mileage, rust free 1996 S10 and it was worth every penny.

Parts for donour S10 $605 Canadian ($471 USD)

This includes parts I needed to repair deficiencies or worn parts in the S10 (brakes, steering, suspension, exhaust, hoses, lines, cables, new fluids, gaskets)

Parts required to adapt the S10 to the Fargo body $1507 Canadian ($1173 USD)

This includes all the stuff that either can’t be used from the S10 donour, or has to be modified to make it work (engine mounts, radiator, wheel spacers, body mounts, steering shafts & DD U-joints, electric fan, trans cooler, wood, switches, drive shaft, electrical connectors, checker plate steel bed, etc.).

Consumables for the S10 swap portion of the build $400 Canadian ($311 USD)

This includes steel, welding gas/wire, cutoff wheels, paint, nuts & bolts, etc.

So the total cost of the S10 swap portion of my build was $4012 Canadian ($3124 USD)

For me, the economics worked out rather well. Here in Canada I’d be hard pressed to buy just a Mustang ll ifs for 4000 bucks. My $4012 got me:

-frame
-steering
-suspension
-complete braking system including booster, master cylinder and e-brake system
-cooling system
-steering column & connectors
-fuel injected engine with ECU
-overdrive transmission
-drive shaft
-gas tank and lines and filler tube
-wiring harness
-gauges (bit of a pain though!)
-exhaust system
-bench seat
-pedals
-bed floor
-tires

When I started on this project, I estimated a total build cost of about $8000 for absolutely everything (including the initial purchase of the Fargo and all bureaucratic fees). For anyone who is interested, I’ll continue on with what things really cost me.

Parts required to fix up my Fargo $2507 Canadian ($1952 USD)

These costs have nothing to do with the S10 swap, and they include stuff like glass, seals, weatherstrip, seatbelts, lights, door latches, electric wiper conversion, interior, and all the required consumables)

Bureaucratic Red Tape $514 Canadian ($400 USD)

This includes safety inspection, appraisal, ministry of transportation fees.

Original Fargo purchase price incl tax $2280 Canadian ($1775 USD)

This brings me to a grand total of $9313 Canadian ($7252 USD). For this I have a 75 year old truck that’s safe, quiet, reliable, good on gas and handles nicely and can be maintained with cheap parts from any local supplier. I went over budget a bit, but I can’t complain about what I got for the price I paid. There is still some little stuff I could do, but for now I’m just going to cruise nights & shows and having a ton of fun. I hope this helps anyone who is weighing their options, and needs a better idea of how inexpensive an S10 swap can be.
Old 02-28-2023, 11:23 PM   #1109
Lmuelly

Does anyone know if Chris AKA Skymangs ever got his book published about these builds?
Old 09-28-2023, 02:54 PM   #1110
jbon64

if you get the chance , check out "faster with newborn and cotton" (a spin of faster with finnigan) S1 -E2. they did a s-15 chassis under a 50 something GMC. they went thru it quick and glossed over a bunch of stuff (i could tell in a back ground shot that they had to extend the frame) . still a pretty good watch.

64 nova wagon , 63 nova convertible
jbon64 is offline   Reply With Quote