The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-21-2011, 01:09 PM   #1
tboltkc

Original Soft Top - Need some help

I have had a soft top laying around for quite a while and am planning to install it on my '72 Jimmy this year. I just went out and looked at it trying to figure out what brand it is, and I believe it may be an original top (score?). The only markings I found on it say "November 1970" and it looks just like the one in my 1972 Jimmy sales brochure.

Problem is, I don't think it's all there. Does anyone have any pictures or information (dealer install instructions would be awesome) pertaining to the original dealer installed soft top?

Any help would be really appreciated. Today or tomorrow I'll try to take some pictures of the pieces I have and post them here. It looks like I have the top, the part that screws to the header above the windshield, the rails that go on the bedsides, two bows and two long straight pieces. I think the parts I'm missing are what hold the bows to the bedsides. I'm hoping they are a simple piece that I can fabricate. And I have no idea where the two long straight pieces go (I'm not even sure they go with this top).

-Travis
tboltkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 03:49 PM   #2
jaros44sr

Re: Original Soft Top - Need some help

Quote:
Originally Posted by tboltkc View Post
I have had a soft top laying around for quite a while and am planning to install it on my '72 Jimmy this year. I just went out and looked at it trying to figure out what brand it is, and I believe it may be an original top (score?). The only markings I found on it say "November 1970" and it looks just like the one in my 1972 Jimmy sales brochure.

Problem is, I don't think it's all there. Does anyone have any pictures or information (dealer install instructions would be awesome) pertaining to the original dealer installed soft top?

Any help would be really appreciated. Today or tomorrow I'll try to take some pictures of the pieces I have and post them here. It looks like I have the top, the part that screws to the header above the windshield, the rails that go on the bedsides, two bows and two long straight pieces. I think the parts I'm missing are what hold the bows to the bedsides. I'm hoping they are a simple piece that I can fabricate. And I have no idea where the two long straight pieces go (I'm not even sure they go with this top).

-Travis

post up pics of what you have...I may be able to help

All parts offered to help are free, unless otherwise noted

Dont try this stuff in my build thread, unless you have 55 years of mechanical OTJ training
SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

They say your mind goes second, can't remember the first

Jim
jaros44sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 05:06 PM   #3
tboltkc

Here are the pieces I have. Sorry one of them is so blurry (I had to use my cell phone), but hopefully you can make out what the parts are, I think they are the rails that go along the bedsides, the header piece and the two long straight pieces (which I'm not sure what the do - maybe go between the bows when it's up).

I think I'm missing the piece that attaches to the tailgate, and the pivots for the bows. And I don't get which way is up for the bed rail parts. I think the taller bow goes toward the rear because it has snaps on it that match up with loops on the top.

The top isn't in great shape as you can see, but hopefully will clean up and be repairable.
Attached Images

Old 07-21-2011, 05:11 PM   #4
tboltkc

A couple more pictures, including the date stamp, which is actually August 1970.

Do you have to pick either the soft top or the hard top, or can you use the soft top in the summer and put the hard top back on for winter? I looks like you'd have to completely remove all the soft top pieces.

Thanks for any help!

-Travis
Attached Images

Old 07-25-2011, 10:55 AM   #5
tboltkc

Anyone??

TTT

-Travis
Old 07-25-2011, 12:38 PM   #6
cleszkie

Travis -

I was waiting for someone who has one ofthese original tops to reply, but they are pretty rare and not many out there. However, the design of the original top is almost identical to the tops that a company called Bestop used to make. I have two of these, and am familiar withe the hardware.

As you said, looks like you are missing the two rear bow pivots. On the Bestop, the taller bow goes closer to the winshield and the shorter bow closer to the tailgate. The Bestop secures to the tailgate and windshield frame with snaps that are screwed into the body. The bed rails should be positioned such that the snaps are on the outside, and the semi-circular notch is located at the bow pivot point. If you have 4 pieces of bed rail hardware, the ones with the slanted cut on the ends go to the rear, and the ones with the door frame mounting points go towards the front. Let me know if you want to see pictures of my Bestop hardware in place on my Blazer. It may not be exactly like the original stuff, but its pretty close.

PS - Yes, you will have to remove the header bar and bedrail bars to install your hard top. Also, the two other mystery bars are probably part of the door frame support. My hardware has these (similar), but they have two legs which pivot open to form a 90 degree angle over the door glass. One ofthe legs inserts into the bedrail and the other leg inserts into a bracket on the widshield frame. The canvas then secures to that.

Craig

Last edited by cleszkie; 07-25-2011 at 12:45 PM. Reason: More info
cleszkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 01:21 PM   #7
tboltkc

Craig -

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I would really like to see a picture of the bow pivot.

The attachment to the windshield frame must be different for the original style top. The top itself has a plastic channel on it, and there is an aluminum piece that somehow mounts above the windshield and this plastic channel, I think, hooks to that. The AL piece is in the middle of the fuzzy picture in my first post with pictures. I'm not sure how it attaches though. It has holes in it that look like they've had screw heads holding it on, but it doesn't really seem like it'll fit and allow screws to secure it to the windshield frame (I have a spare firewall I have tried fitting it on).

I appreciate the help, and would really appreciate a picture of the bow pivot, so I could see how it was made. It would be nice if that's all I was missing. Any pictures you could send of how it all attaches, and where the top attaches to the bows would be awesome. If you want to post here, great, but if you want my email, let me know.

Thanks,
Travis
Old 07-25-2011, 02:55 PM   #8
bouncytruck
SKINNY TIRES RULE!

I have the install instructions (PDF) from Besttop before they pulled them from their website. If you PM me your email address, I'll send them to you.
Wife's Ride2014 Fiat 500L
bouncytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 03:48 PM   #9
tboltkc

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncytruck View Post
I have the install instructions (PDF) from Besttop before they pulled them from their website. If you PM me your email address, I'll send them to you.
Thanks! PM Sent.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:31 AM   #10
Gary 70 Jimmy

If it is a kaylin in should say it on one of the side windows. Here is where I got the install instructions for my kaylin it it the same as STC SOFT TOPS

http://www.thejeep.com/stc/instsheet/551010.pdf

1972 GMC Jimmy 1/2 4X4 4wheel camper
1970 GMC Jimmy 1/2 4X4 350
1969 Chevy Blazer 1/2 4X4 307
1967 chevy LWB 3/4 396
Gary 70 Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 11:45 AM   #11
tboltkc

Thanks for the link to the instructions. The top is definitely not a Kayline, though, it's an original from 1970. One of the pieces I have can be seen above the windshield on the bronze Jimmy on this brochure. Still trying to figure out how that piece attaches so the canvas can still be installed/removed though. There is a plastic channel on the top that attaches to the part above the windshield.

And on this one (thank to BobbyK for this image):
http://public.fotki.com/blazbk/blaze...er4.html#media
Attached Images

Old 07-29-2011, 04:21 PM   #12
BigRed Beast

Bouncy...could you send me the pdf for the Bestop instllation? I think I'm buying one tonight for my son's '72.

Thanks.

Dave
dbowen2000@aol.com
BigRed Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 05:40 PM   #13
bouncytruck
SKINNY TIRES RULE!

Just sent them (sent both the bestop and STC fastrack). If you don't have them soon, check your spam folder.

chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRed Beast View Post
Bouncy...could you send me the pdf for the Bestop instllation? I think I'm buying one tonight for my son's '72.

Thanks.

Dave
dbowen2000@aol.com
Wife's Ride2014 Fiat 500L
bouncytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 10:31 AM   #14
BigRed Beast

Thanks, Chris...the pdf arrived. I think we lucked into a really nice Bestop with most of the hardware. Bought it last night for $380 from a fellow enthusiast here in the Denver area.

Seems we're missing plastic rod caps for the door hardware (no big deal) and whatever the short and long bow covers are--probably to keep the bows from scarring the vinyl windows. I'll see if I can find some pipe insulation to wrap the bows.

Would like to know if someone with a Bestop could take a quick measurement on the spacing for the snaps at the windshield--the original instructions would have had a template for the snap location. Barring the actual template in hand, we'll start by centering the top and eyeballing the snap locations. The closer we can get to the recommended locations would be...um, good.

Pics to follow once we get things rolling...
BigRed Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 02:29 PM   #15
cleszkie

tboltkc -

Sorry for not responding sooner. Was out of town. Will post up some pictures of the bow pivot. I actually have an extra set if you find they will work for you. Sounds like Bouncytruck already sent you the instructions, so that is a good reference.

BigRedTruck - I actually still have the original Bestop instructions (like the one that Bouncytruck sent you), AND the original windshield snap location template. Let me know if you still need the template and I can scan it to several 81/2x11 sheets for you to print out and tape together on your end.

Craig
cleszkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 04:43 PM   #16
tboltkc

Craig -

No problem I appreciate any help I can get. Could you also post pics of how the horizontal rod attaches to the windshield frame? I think there are some brackets that attach there somehow which I am also missing. I am also missing, I think, some vertical bars that are toward the back of the door windows.

thanks,
Travis