The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-20-2011, 10:48 AM   #1
205dke187

sectioning front crossmember

if i take 1.25" out of my front crossmember, that will raise my lower control arms that much. correct? well, do i still mount the upper control arms in the stock location? (off the side of the frame?) or do i need to move that mounting point UP 1.25" also. like to the top of the frame? any help will be greatly appreciated.......
205dke187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 11:50 AM   #2
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

Re: sectioning front crossmember

The upper mounts will move too, if you section only between the frame rails. You could leave the uppers in place, by sectioning the entire crossmember, which will be similar to using tall balljoints and will increase camber gain.

Instagram _elgringoloco_

'70 Short-Wide How to: Ruin a perfectly good C10
‘70 Blazer ConversionHow To: Ruin a Perfectly Good 4wd
'72 Highlander How To: Ruin a Perfectly Good K/5 (SOLD)
'72 Blazer 2WD How to: Ruin a perfectly good Blazer (SOLD)
'05 Yukon Daily Driven (not so stock) Yukon (SOLD)
‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)

Members met list: SCOTI, darkhorse970, 67cheby, 67cheby'sGirl, klmore, porterbuilt, n2billet, Fastrucken, classicchev, Col Clank, GSFMECH, HuggerCST, Spray-Bomb, BACKYARD88, 5150, fine69, fatbass, smbrouss70, 65StreetCruiser, GAc10boy
gringoloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 09:16 PM   #3
205dke187

so if i section the entire crossmember, move the lower control arm mount and the upper control arm mount up 1.25", then everything should be like stock geometry? i do need to take lots of measurement and set the spindles at the angle they where before the section? any pics would be awesome....... thanks so much for your help already.....
Old 12-20-2011, 09:57 PM   #4
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by 205dke187 View Post
so if i section the entire crossmember, move the lower control arm mount and the upper control arm mount up 1.25", then everything should be like stock geometry? i do need to take lots of measurement and set the spindles at the angle they where before the section? any pics would be awesome....... thanks so much for your help already.....
The geometry might get worse. The already poor (factory amount) of bumpsteer will prob get worse. You can swap in a NoLimit R&P kit & fix that issue easy enough....

http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=465423
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 10:04 PM   #5
205dke187

Thanks for that information. I am gonna do a rack and pinion set up. So i am right in thinking that i should keep all of my angles and measurements the same as stock. Control arms will just be in a different location.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-20-2011, 10:40 PM   #6
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by 205dke187 View Post
Thanks for that information. I am gonna do a rack and pinion set up. So i am right in thinking that i should keep all of my angles and measurements the same as stock. Control arms will just be in a different location.
Posted via Mobile Device
Yep, that's the basics of it.

There are 2 different 'common' methods: a) removing a section out of the middle of the entire width of the x-member; or b) notching out a section just where the frame rails seat.

Choice 'a' allows you to maintain the factory gap between the oil-pan & the x-member as well as using the factory mm towers/mounts. Option 'b' requires new mm towers (or modifying the factory units) & possibly some clearancing depending on the engine size/oil pan type.

Option 'b' is what NoLimits bases their R&P kit off of. I'd check w/them to determine if their kit will possibly work w/option 'a' if that's a concern....
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 11:13 PM   #7
giles70chevy

Check out this build thread from dnd1978. He's doing a section now and is using a rack and pinion unit. He's doing a really nice/clean job too.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=452840
giles70chevy is offline   Reply With Quote