The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-08-2016, 09:45 PM   #26
70cst

Re: What are our trucks worth?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffahart View Post
This is an easy one.
If your selling to "Pawn Stars" it's worth $500
If your buying from "Pawn Stars" it's worth $5,000

Nessxt Clesschion!
One word ...
Attached Images

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 10:35 PM   #27
89AKurt

My two dollars worth (due to inflation, no longer 2 cents)......

Restoring one of these isn't a wise INVESTMENT, it's a labor of love. If someone had to have mine, I have a threshold amount when I would say "it's yours". I paid too much, so stupid me.

But, if you want to get into really stupid territory, let's talk Ferrari 250 GTO for $38.1 MILLION.
Old 01-09-2016, 12:07 AM   #28
Z10

Quote:
Originally Posted by davepl View Post
Worth more with the original motor, stock wheels, and ride height... at least if I'm your market.

Which I'm probably not, but it does reduce the -size- of your market. Anyone who's survived three fads won't pay much for the fourth. There's gotta be a jazzier way of saying that.
Not necessarily, If you've ever watch some of the large auctions on TV, you've probably seen a very nice original muscle car go for some big bucks. Then right behind it you'll see a very nice restomod go for the same money or more.

I believe our trucks are rising because they are less expensive to purchase than say a 69 Camaro. But when you start to improve them the costs are about the same. As the supply of nice donor trucks depletes, the price will rise. Look at what those beater 69 Camaros are going for.

1979 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 & 1979 Pontiac Trans Am 10th Anniversary
1999 Honda Valkyrie
2006 Corvette Z06
2010 BMW 650i
Z10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 02:36 AM   #29
El Dorado Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coley View Post
Well for those thinking that their truck is going to be a retirement fund they should recheck or rethink a 10 year forecast with respect to the popularity of this kind of technology and transportation.
As has been mentioned several times...the classic car and truck industry will largely (not completely) die with us. Our kids and grandkids for the better part aren't interested in this stuff. Most have an absolutely minimum amount of interest in nostalgia, particularly of this kind and they will be the ones who would have been the potential buyers and successors....and in most cases, they won't be, at least based on all showing trends these days. They might however, be interested in your vintage laptop or sony clie' or any vintage video game terminal you might have.
On top of that we, as a group, aren't getting any younger so there is a coming sunset on a lot of this hobby and with it...will go the values in all likelihood.
So remember, enjoy your truck (or classic car) and don't put any money into it that you aren't willing to lose.
All Good
Coley
I think for the most part you are right, most kids nowadays don't even care to have a drivers license, my oldest son, however , turns 24 next week, he has only old vehicles,he is like me in that I don't own anything that has to be smogged, 1975 and older, he has a '70 gmc K2500, a 1943 willys mb jeep, a bunch of old toyota pickups and a '72 suzuki LJ20, he only likes old "unique" vehicles, he just picked up the old suzuki LJ because it is so rare...he will keep the old stuff alive
El Dorado Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 01:35 PM   #30
4x4trucker

Thumbs up Re: What are our trucks worth?

Quote:
Well for those thinking that their truck is going to be a retirement fund they should recheck or rethink a 10 year forecast with respect to the popularity of this kind of technology and transportation.
As has been mentioned several times...the classic car and truck industry will largely (not completely) die with us. Our kids and grandkids for the better part aren't interested in this stuff. Most have an absolutely minimum amount of interest in nostalgia, particularly of this kind and they will be the ones who would have been the potential buyers and successors....and in most cases, they won't be, at least based on all showing trends these days. They might however, be interested in your vintage laptop or sony clie' or any vintage video game terminal you might have.
On top of that we, as a group, aren't getting any younger so there is a coming sunset on a lot of this hobby and with it...will go the values in all likelihood.
So remember, enjoy your truck (or classic car) and don't put any money into it that you aren't willing to lose.
All Good
Coley
Now that's the best answer yet.
4x4trucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 01:41 PM   #31
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

These truck aren't worth squat... pass the word around so the astronomical prices will come down.

Who the hell pays top dollar for rust?

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 01:50 PM   #32
davepl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z10 View Post
I believe our trucks are rising because they are less expensive to purchase than say a 69 Camaro. But when you start to improve them the costs are about the same. As the supply of nice donor trucks depletes, the price will rise. Look at what those beater 69 Camaros are going for.

Not the first part, but I agree with your second part (quoted here). It used to be you could look in the classifieds and find a reasonably unmolested 307 Camaro as a project car. Heck, when I was young you could buy used SS396 cars. But not today. It's either already restored and worth $70K or it's such a basket case it'd take $150K to may it worth $70K. But the point is their inaccessible to young people.

These trucks are still cheap enough that young people can buy them and restore/fix/modify them.

As to whether they will remain popular after we're done? Depends how old you are. I'm 48 and have one for two reasons:
- When I was a kid, they were new, and my Dad had one
- When I was 16, they were old, and I had one as a beater

Now I'm "old", and I'm restoring one. And my story could go back to someone 10 years old in 67, so maybe up to late fifties. And of course anyone could own one. But I'd say another 15 years. Probably peak in 10.

Look at old Corvette. I love the C2 but have no use for a 58-62. They're "old man cars" to me. Of course they're dearly loved by those old men, but they're dying off, and only some of those Corvettes will hold much of their value. The special ones will. Z06 tankers, big brake C3s, L88s, will always have a market. But many will just become part of the glut of old cars.

Last edited by davepl; 01-09-2016 at 01:56 PM.
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 06:40 PM   #33
feller

Quote:
Originally Posted by GASoline71 View Post
These truck aren't worth squat... pass the word around so the astronomical prices will come down.

Who the hell pays top dollar for rust?

Gary

Right on man ain't worth nothin' lol
feller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 06:55 PM   #34
Grumpy old man

Their worth every dime I can squeeze out of the buyer after I just spent 2 years building one and making it right . If someone just wants to write a check and drive it home they should pay for every busted knuckle , Every sore arm from hand sanding for weeks on end and endless hours chasing parts !and every late night spent on a concrete floor chasing the dropped nut that just rolled to the back of the truck. Buy them NOW boys everything will triple in 5 years ! From the junk rust buckets to the high quality finished restomods .
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 06:57 PM   #35
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

From what I've seen for mostly "stock", anywhere between $1,500 and $55,000. Most in the 8K to 18K range...........

Ha, just opened Ebay and there's a pair of NOS tow hooks.....24 bids so far @ $566?............That's dedication.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 01-09-2016 at 07:05 PM.
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 07:00 PM   #36
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy old man View Post
Their worth every dime I can squeeze out of the buyer after I just spent 2 years building one and making it right . If someone just wants to write a check and drive it home they should pay for every busted knuckle , Every sore arm from hand sanding for weeks on end and endless hours chasing parts !and every late night spent on a concrete floor chasing the dropped nut that just rolled to the back of the truck. Buy them NOW boys everything will triple in 5 years ! From the junk rust buckets to the high quality finished restomods .
Not that I'm in the market, but would sure like to see some pics.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 07:35 PM   #37
BCOWANWHEELS

I,ve seen originals go for 70k, 10-17 k common. the more original the more it brings .
I BELIEVE IN JOHN 3:16
BCOWANWHEELS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 09:13 PM   #38
dubds10
Stalker Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCOWANWHEELS View Post
I,ve seen originals go for 70k, 10-17 k common. the more original the more it brings .
Camaro you mean? Lol I've never seen any '67-72 actually sell for higher than $30-40g in my area and that's for high dollar customs usually. The mint originals are usually $10-20g range.

The one pet peeve of mine are the guys who claim "all original" when it's had a repait or redone interior, bed wood etc. To me all original means oem paint etc and if it were redone was it done on such a low mileage truck if it were supposedly in such great shape sitting in a barn. Too many people use the original term loosely and others bit on it increasing prices of trucks which normally wouldn't demand it. I argue a bit with people about that, but if I'm paying top dollar it better not be misrepresented to embelish its "value". Then the guys say well the drivetrain is all original so that means the truck is, come on don't be an idiot lol

Instagram - TheDonutDiner
FaceBook - @UscreamIscream
dubds10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 09:31 PM   #39
feller

Dubds, my favorite is when its all original, with a 400 small block, just cause the fender says 8/400 they don't know that the 400 in 72 was a big block, or if it's a K truck with a 454. Or the rare three door suburban. Just a few of the ones that catch my eye
Old 01-09-2016, 09:40 PM   #40
dubds10
Stalker Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by feller View Post
Dubds, my favorite is when its all original, with a 400 small block, just cause the fender says 8/400 they don't know that the 400 in 72 was a big block, or if it's a K truck with a 454. Or the rare three door suburban. Just a few of the ones that catch my eye
Yup, I've only been buy/selling only classic gm's for 16 years now, so not long compared to some guys here but I'm actually getting tired of dealing with sellers these days who don't understand the meaning of various terminology in the industry lol Just dealing with some people gives me a headache wondering how they can be so daft. And the guys jumping on the bandwagon who are agreeing with these other guys just makes it more difficult as less and less buyers understand what's real and what's emblished now.

Instagram - TheDonutDiner
FaceBook - @UscreamIscream
dubds10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 10:32 PM   #41
feller

I actually had the husband of one of my wife's friends argue with me about the 400 sbc being available in a 72, after I showed him in lmc truck,and looked it up online on two different websites. And he is a mechanic/ car trader
Old 01-10-2016, 12:36 AM   #42
Z10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubds10 View Post
Camaro you mean? Lol I've never seen any '67-72 actually sell for higher than $30-40g in my area and that's for high dollar customs usually. The mint originals are usually $10-20g range.

The one pet peeve of mine are the guys who claim "all original" when it's had a repait or redone interior, bed wood etc. To me all original means oem paint etc and if it were redone was it done on such a low mileage truck if it were supposedly in such great shape sitting in a barn. Too many people use the original term loosely and others bit on it increasing prices of trucks which normally wouldn't demand it. I argue a bit with people about that, but if I'm paying top dollar it better not be misrepresented to embelish its "value". Then the guys say well the drivetrain is all original so that means the truck is, come on don't be an idiot lol
I think the term I've seen which best describes "original condition" is survivor.

1999 Honda Valkyrie
2006 Corvette Z06
2010 BMW 650i
Old 01-10-2016, 01:15 AM   #43
swamp rat

Maybe after were all done here we can start another oil thread?

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 01:22 AM   #44
4 Wheelin Fudpucker

I just picked up my second Burb. I paid $2000 for it.
It now has a $6000 price tag on it.
Cant wait to see the price tab after I fix 35 years of worn factory parts.
Old 01-10-2016, 02:47 AM   #45
Z10

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp rat View Post

1999 Honda Valkyrie
2006 Corvette Z06
2010 BMW 650i
Old 01-10-2016, 01:09 PM   #46
leddzepp

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp rat View Post
...or another carburetor thread

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 02:34 PM   #47
davepl

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubds10 View Post
The one pet peeve of mine are the guys who claim "all original" when it's had a repait or redone interior, bed wood etc. To me all original means oem paint etc and if it were redone was it done on such a low mileage truck if it were supposedly in such great shape sitting in a barn. Too many people use the original term loosely and others bit on it increasing prices of trucks which normally wouldn't demand it.
Well there are two uses of it in my mind:

- Original, which is what you mean
- Original condition, which is restored to what it originally would have looked like

This not being the NCRS, I won't go into overspray and so on. But our bed wood in "original" condition is painted body color. My mirrors are white. So, like new in form and condition, that's "original condition".

Note that unless they had the Corvette option, no "restored to original condition" trucks should have chrome air cleaners, rocker covers, or billet combination valves!
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 03:14 PM   #48
Canuckvetter
How did I get this OLD!

Quote:
All Good
Coley
I could not agree more with Colley. I am an enthusiast first and foremost. This is a hobby for me. I'm not in it for profit or even breaking even. I enjoy the thrill of the search. Attending the swap meets. Meeting some great like-minded people and mostly driving an old back road somewhere with my wife of 33 yrs. listening to the best music the 60's and 70's had to offer. In the 90's and 2000's I built a 72 corvette that handles,steers, & brakes like the cars of that era. Tons of money and time to make it my own. 500hp fun car. People ask what kind of fuel economy I get, I would say 2-3 tanks a year because it was a beast to drive and absolute hell in the rain. So I rarely drive it. As we advance in years the 67 C-10 fits perfectly to our lifestyle now. I thought at one time I would put the most modern components in it to make it a new truck but it's still a brick. The need for speed is now the need to enjoy the drive confident I can handle anything that might happen if it breaks down along the way. When I was a kid on the farm dad loved to search the back roads for horse drawn buggies. We would drag them home and fix them up. He rarely sold them. When he died we sold the buggies for a song. It didn't bother my because it was the fun I had with dad doing what he loved. He had so many friend and so much fun doing it.

Michael
Canuckvetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 04:40 PM   #49
3drburb

This is an interesting topic because if you look at the Craigslist find threads almost every time there is a nice truck shown, I read guys saying that it's overpriced at the $8-$15,000 range, even the restored trucks, until they are trying to sell their trucks.
So I am guess that this question may be good for parts companies and our vendors for those looking at their trucks as an investment, cause to these companies our trucks are worth a whole lot more than we are valueing them.
Look at the higher prices in parts and how many projects swallow up several thousands just to sit and never be finished and not even close to paint.
I am a High End painter and Color Consultant who also work with Realitors and I have customers all the time that will ask what kind of valve a paint job and upgrades will bring to their homes.
Don't misunderstand me here, your money, your time to do as you wish.
Also guessing they may be worth on the high end, 25% of the money and time put into them for now, unless you are a Car Flipper or vendor, from what I'm reading on here.
3drburb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 09:17 PM   #50
factorystock

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickDeVon View Post
Well this one is worth 15k to me and more after 22" wheels and even more after a sbc and a heck of a lot more when bagged and dragging.
It's worth 15K to me too. After all the typical mods, IMO, no longer unique, still be worth around 15K. Its your truck, your money.
factorystock is offline   Reply With Quote