The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-16-2008, 12:29 AM   #1
kylepatrick03

Starter Question

Just curious of anyone has come across this as well, Just got my 69 project, and it has a 350 in it. I have a 4.8 vortech in the shop that will be going into it eventually, but thought I'd run a compression test on 350 for future buyers, as well as tell me how long I can run on the 350 etc. Just my luck on cylinder #2 the starter goes out. Ran down to Autzone, and picked up the starter, and as luck would have it, it didn't fit. Took it back and they looked it up again and said it was right, I had them grab the core, and it was different, the one they were trying to sell me had a 1" lip/spacer on one of the bolts, off setting it from the housing, and the bolts didn't line up. I googled the Delco # off my core from my cell phone (since auto parts stores can't seem to lookup part #'s anymore) and found a lot of listings for that part number being used in 69 camaro 396 motors, told the guy I wanted the starter for the 69' Camaro with the 396, and sure enough, it had same bolt pattern, was essentially the same, and fit fine. The autozone guy was now trying to convince me I must have a Big Block 396 instead of a sbc 350. <sigh>.... I'm obviously not 100% sure its the orignal motor, but everything else on the truck has been original this far, I am for sure its not a big block though.

Anyway, anyone else have problems getting a starter from the parts stores?
kylepatrick03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 03:44 AM   #2
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Re: Starter Question

There are two different sizes of flywheel/flexplates for GM small blocks. The first being a 153 tooth flywheel and the other being a 168 tooth flywheel. The smaller uses a starter that has the bolts straight across from each other and the larger uses a bolt pattern that is offset from each other. Many blocks are drilled for both starters, but you have to know the number of teeth on the flex/flywheel. All of my trucks use an offset bolt pattern since I use the larger flexplates, most cars use the smaller flex/flywheels so the bolt pattern is straight. Any counter person worth their Wheaties would know the difference, but many newbies may not.
piecesparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 04:01 AM   #3
kylepatrick03

Thanks for the Info, I have the larger then, my bolts are diagonal from each other, and I have no doubt my local counter peeps lack wheaties....

Kyle
Old 11-16-2008, 04:08 AM   #4
sleepertruck72

Try to get the casting numbers on the block to be sure what ya got. Thats the real way of knowing, or take the old starter in and have it matched up. I had what I thought was a 350 and had a 400. the starter didnt fit either. I didnt realize it until I ran the casting numbers that I had the 400. The housings are different. Just my 2 cents. Find the casting numbers, they do not lie.
Oh and 2 more cents, go to NAPA.
Old 11-16-2008, 10:10 AM   #5
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

no.... napa starters are worse than a department store starter, and they charge 3 times the going rate.
Napa alt, starters and batteries, should all be avoided.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 05:18 PM   #6
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
no.... napa starters are worse than a department store starter, and they charge 3 times the going rate.
At least my Napa store is one where I CAN get a starter that fits. The Auto department stores around my town are somewhat strange in their quality and ability.
Old 11-16-2008, 08:28 PM   #7
kylepatrick03

Ok, I got the casting number (and a crick in my neck) its 3932386 which from my web search is a 69 z28 motor, either a 327 or 350, or lt1 350 (I doubt it), definitely explains why the starter for the truck was not fitting, now i just need to figure out which it is, and I haven't gotten the head casting numbers off it yet, was too tired.

Kyle
Old 11-16-2008, 09:36 PM   #8
kylepatrick03

Well, my engine code is V1019WK, WK references to a truck motor for 69 C10. At least it is a 350, and appears it my be the original motor. Still need to pull valve covers get more numbers.

Kyle
Old 11-16-2008, 09:41 PM   #9
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Count the teeth on the flywheel and see what there is there. I am betting that the number will help you, too.
Old 11-16-2008, 09:46 PM   #10
sleepertruck72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
I dont know about three times the price. That would mean a regular starter would go for about $175 ??? I guess we all have preferences for auto parts and mine is Napa.

Kylepatrick03,
according to mortec if you have the 69 Z-28 Block its a 302. But it has it listed as possibly 302,327 or 350

http://www.mortec.com/castnum.htm
Old 11-16-2008, 10:37 PM   #11
Shyguy

I am real sorry that you are having problems at chain auto parts stores.

I work at one myself, it starts with an "O" and our store has three people that are well versed in Chevy and GMC motors. If you are ever in the Southeast Missouri area, Sikeston, drop in and we will help you.

When possible we have people bring in their old starters or alternators so we can match them and make sure they get the proper product and have a good experience at our store.

It is amazing how many people don't really know what engine they have in their older vehicles. I found out that I have a '70 Chevelle 250 l6 in my '67 C-10. The previous owner told me it was a 292 out of a late 70's truck.

Danny
'92 GMC K-3500 Duallie, 454/4L80E.
Shyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 04:49 PM   #12
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shyguy View Post
I am real sorry that you are having problems at chain auto parts stores.

I work at one myself, it starts with an "O" and our store has three people that are well versed in Chevy and GMC motors. If you are ever in the Southeast Missouri area, Sikeston, drop in and we will help you.

When possible we have people bring in their old starters or alternators so we can match them and make sure they get the proper product and have a good experience at our store.

It is amazing how many people don't really know what engine they have in their older vehicles. I found out that I have a '70 Chevelle 250 l6 in my '67 C-10. The previous owner told me it was a 292 out of a late 70's truck.

Danny
WOW!! Sikeston---Now that is in the middle of some place like "Out in the flatlands" Been there and ate real good at Lamberts. Each are has an outlet that has the guys with the knowledge. The trouble is; the the Tuner Dudes are growing up and are getting jobs. We are now driving antiques and the TDs have no background in those. It is important to find someone that has counter knowledge of our technology. You will have t o use the force, it will guide you.
Old 11-17-2008, 06:05 PM   #13
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Any of the big chain dept parts stores are a crap shoot.The real "parts man" is what you're looking for.He may be employeed at any major chain or may be in a little mom and pop store(do they still have those?).He will be the guy who doesn't look up SBC parts,asks which flywheel you have and knows what a carb is."Parts boy" will be the guy who can find stuff on the shelves,he may have to look it up in the computer but when he does he knows how to find it on the shelf."Parts Boy" will most often be found near "Parts Man" because he knows he might learn if he watches and listens.If you are lucky enough to find "Parts Man" you will need to try to develop a friendship with him.He will learn and know your vehicle and will only ask which you are working on,he doesn't care if it has,power windows or door locks unless you need something for them.
At the entirely other end of the spectrum,you will find "Parts Moron",he knows how to use a computer but has little intrest in actually doing any work.He will most often be found,in the break room,stocking oil or following your 16 year old daughter thru the isle trying to get lucky.
Each of these three parts types also has the ability to use one of several different pricing structures(except maybe parts moron since he wasn't listening during training) based on different criteria.If you have been using the store for a while and have gotten to know "Parts Man" and/or "Parts Boy" they will usually give you a jobbers rate which can be about 40% cheaper in some cases.
This has been my expirience and seems to be holding true though the pricing stucture seems to be more equal than it used to.
JMHO
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 03:04 AM   #14
MonteSS454
Account Suspended

I also work at a parts chain store that starts with an "O" and we always prefer customers to bring in the parts so we can match them up so they don't have to keeep coming back,we have customers that will pass up 3 other stores to come to ours because we have such a good rep in our area and we're the 2nd best in our district. But, most of us can rattle off SBC parts off the tops of ours heads.
MonteSS454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 05:29 AM   #15
El Jay
Gone to greener pastures

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanelDeland View Post
Any of the big chain dept parts stores are a crap shoot.The real "parts man" is what you're looking for.He may be employeed at any major chain or may be in a little mom and pop store(do they still have those?).He will be the guy who doesn't look up SBC parts,asks which flywheel you have and knows what a carb is."Parts boy" will be the guy who can find stuff on the shelves,he may have to look it up in the computer but when he does he knows how to find it on the shelf."Parts Boy" will most often be found near "Parts Man" because he knows he might learn if he watches and listens.If you are lucky enough to find "Parts Man" you will need to try to develop a friendship with him.He will learn and know your vehicle and will only ask which you are working on,he doesn't care if it has,power windows or door locks unless you need something for them.
At the entirely other end of the spectrum,you will find "Parts Moron",he knows how to use a computer but has little intrest in actually doing any work.He will most often be found,in the break room,stocking oil or following your 16 year old daughter thru the isle trying to get lucky.
Each of these three parts types also has the ability to use one of several different pricing structures(except maybe parts moron since he wasn't listening during training) based on different criteria.If you have been using the store for a while and have gotten to know "Parts Man" and/or "Parts Boy" they will usually give you a jobbers rate which can be about 40% cheaper in some cases.
This has been my expirience and seems to be holding true though the pricing stucture seems to be more equal than it used to.
JMHO
You hit that nail on the head, Mr. Panel.
I'm lucky enough to have a "Mr. & Mrs. Parts Man" that own their own store.

Mr. Parts Man used to be a racer, so he is very fluent it SBC.

There are other advantages too.
Who else has had the store owner say something like, "Let's go look at it. You'll have to bring me back because YYYYY has the truck."
Then he told his helper, "I'll be back in a few minutes."

Then I took him to my house, he looked things over, gave me some advice, then I took him back to the store.

To me, things like that make all the difference in the world & keep me coming back.

Just a little tale & my .02.

"Ah women. They make the highs higher and the lows more frequent." Friedrich Nietzsche

"Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day." Harry S. Truman

GUN CONTROL: Never having to say, "I missed you."

Always fire two warning shots into your attacker's chest area before putting a bullet between his eyes. Paraphrased from Louis Awerbuck
El Jay is offline   Reply With Quote