The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-19-2019, 12:47 PM   #1
shifty
Questionable

Controversial 4l60e maintenance question

Based on what I'm reading elsewhere, seems like this is a heated topic. I even see a couple of zombie threads on here with similar.

1998 Sierra, 90k original miles, L31/4l60e. Shifts a little rough when you hammer on the gas or in odd situations. Truck spent much of its life hauling boats and landscape boulders if that's important.

Last 20k maintenance records and PO for last 50k miles both show no regular tranny fluid/fiter change was done.

I keep reading at various places to avoid filter/fluid changes on any 60e that never saw regular maintenance. Logic being "detergents in new fluid will bust up sludge deposits and kill the tranny within a few K miles". Dozens of people chiming in with their anecdotal case where it happened.

How valid is that opinion and is there any "safe" way to get up to maintenance w/o rebuilding?

Maybe, like, drain a quart, add a quart, drive 1k miles, and repeat the process a few times before changing the fluid and filter, slowly breaking it all up?

Or is it better just to deal with periodic sluggish shifting?

Anything I could be doing here at all?

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote