The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 60-66 Suburbans

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-06-2022, 11:30 AM   #1
McLovin

1965 Suburban Trailer Hitch Curt 14082

Okay, at the risk of looking dumb, I wanted to show you all what I did for a trailer hitch and see what you all think. It is a Curt 14082. Without a weight distrubution hitch it is rated at 1,000 lb tongue weight and 10,000 lbs tow rating.

I never plan to tow 10k lbs with my half ton suburban. I do have an 18ft car trailer that is rated at 7500 lbs that I do plan to tow from time to time hauling cars around. I am going to add air bags to the rear so it does not squat...

The hitch is the correct width. In order to get it to sit level I had to use some spacers that were provided with the hitch. I then used big half inch washers to fill the gaps as the frame slopes in the location I ended up mounting it. In order to line up the front of the receiver hitch with the bumper I had to slide the whole hitch back on the frame where the frame slopes downward.

Check out the pictures and let me know what you think. I won't be offended if you think I did a crappy job. I welcome all constructive criticism. My biggest concern is do you think it will hold up to towing 7500 lbs with how I set it up?
Attached Images

McLovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 12:26 PM   #2
Southcity

Re: 1965 Suburban Trailer Hitch Curt 14082

I don't think that would hold up and be safe. Being mounted on that bottom lip of the c-channel frame the way it is, you will most likely see it start to distort and bend. The strongest area is inside the c-channel (the web area), most tow hitches are usually welded into that area or at least bolted flush in that area with grade-8 bolts/washers etc.
Old 07-27-2022, 04:48 PM   #3
McLovin

I will keep an eye on it. I went back and reviewed the instructions and it shows mounting it to the bottom of the frame rails like I have it. Granted, it does not show the spacers between the frame and the hitch like I used. I used the supplied bolts, spacers and nuts.
McLovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 10:51 PM   #4
cwcarpenter98

Although it's on my C10, I have the hitch bolted directly to the bottom flanges. Towed several things with it without any issues to the frame. Just don't overload what the hitch is rated for and you will probably be ok. I would definitely retorque your bolts before you pull something for the first time and if it's a long trip, might want to check them again about half way through.

1963 C10 - Frankentruck 283, 3 speed with overdrive
Overdrive wiring here
1963-ish truck bed trailer - Half-Wit

1981 C10 - Penny 305, th350

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

"I'll put it simple: if you're going hard enough left, you'll find yourself turning right." - Doc Hudson
cwcarpenter98 is offline   Reply With Quote