The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-16-2004, 11:03 PM   #1
jhow66

Lift Kits

Been looking at lift kits (6") for my son's (orangeuavol) 72 Blazer and they say you must have "open knuckle" axle (we have-Dana 44) and "3 bolt steering box". Whats with the 3 bolt box? (has original 4 bolt box now)
jhow66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2004, 12:34 AM   #2
ljbear

Sounds like someone is setting you up with crossover steering and wants you to use a 2wd steering box. I've been told that you can use the 4wd box with the 2wd sector shaft. The crossover is a great idea when you get into the 6" and higher lefts.

72 Chevy SWB 4x4
71 Chevy SWB 4x4

My Work Truck

"Don't confuse enthusiasm with capability"
ljbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2004, 10:05 AM   #3
Yukon Jack
Post Whore

In regards to the first question, I think they are referring to the fact that with the closed knuckle Dana 44, like what my 69 K20 has, the raised pitman arm that is normally used to correct steering won't work. Instead you have to use an adjustable drag link on a closed knuckle Dana 44. Not sure what they are indicating regarding the second question.
Yukon Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2004, 08:19 PM   #4
3wbdriver

3 Bolt box

I just installed a Skyjacker 4" lift in my '72 Blazer. The 3 bolt reference is for the replacement steering ARM, that is mounted on top of the driver's side knuckle of the open knuckle axle. I have a 4 bolt steering box. I have been driving Da Beast since '89 with a Rancho lift in it, and no correction, and the increased angle has actually caused my Pittman arm (or the arm that is actually on the gearbox) to wear in such a way that it wiggles up/down when steering as applied, causing some slack in the system. The correction arm that comes with a lift kit corrects the angle between the pittman arm, and the link that goes to the steering arm on the axle. Hope this helps, because I'm still paying the piper for that wear. I can't find a used Pittman arm, or a replacement. Good luck.

It's a BLAZER dude! No options, no emblems, no a/c, no fancy shmancy. It's a BLAZER....
3wbdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2004, 09:19 PM   #5
jhow66

Thanks a million 3wbdriver thats is exactly what we needed to know. We have the correct setup for the kits then. Will keep a eye open for a 4 bolt arm for you. ( We thought they were talking about steering box--we have the 3 bolt arm.)

Last edited by jhow66; 04-18-2004 at 09:23 PM.
Old 04-18-2004, 10:58 PM   #6
3wbdriver

Research

Just research the kits first, REALLY good, before your drop the dollar on them. I just got that Skyjacker kit installed yesterday, and have driven the Beast 3 times today. It is scaring the h__l out of me. Major bump steer, and a wicked side to side wobble at highway speeds, I believe due to the bump steer. I mean when the front goes through a dip, the steering wheel twitches an inch or more to the right. Then it leans one way, then it leans back, bumping the wheel to the right again, then it does it again at little harder, and the next thing I know I'm VERY gingerly easing on the brakes because this thing is wanting to change lanes on me. Didn't have this prob with the Rancho kit, but it didn't have any give in the front springs either! I'm calling Skyjacker tomorrow, picking their brains, and probably going to have to figure out if somebody makes a swaybar kit for it now. More bucks................... But it do ride softer.

It's a BLAZER dude! No options, no emblems, no a/c, no fancy shmancy. It's a BLAZER....
3wbdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 12:39 AM   #7
ljbear

Re: Research

Quote:
Originally posted by 3wbdriver
Just research the kits first, REALLY good, before your drop the dollar on them. I just got that Skyjacker kit installed yesterday, and have driven the Beast 3 times today. It is scaring the h__l out of me. Major bump steer, and a wicked side to side wobble at highway speeds, I believe due to the bump steer.
This is the same way my truck reacted with the Skyjacker steering arm on a 4" lift. I pulled it out and the truck is a lot easier to drive. There are blocks that can be put between the knuckle and the steering arm that are a good way to take some of the bump steer out, and keep that wandering to a minimum. I really think the best answer for anything over 6" is the crossover.

72 Chevy SWB 4x4
71 Chevy SWB 4x4

My Work Truck

"Don't confuse enthusiasm with capability"
ljbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 01:26 AM   #8
jhow66

Thanks guys for the warnings--will research each point with company we pick.