The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-23-2021, 09:11 PM   #1
skip99

Headliner ideas

Looking for ideas ,pics, of headliner ideas, nothing too fancy, no flames, lol..

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=428878
skip99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 03:34 AM   #2
MiraclePieCo

Re: Headliner ideas

I'll be watching this thread. I need a headliner in my panel truck. I'm looking for something different and inexpensive.
Old 02-24-2021, 08:55 AM   #3
Black_Sheep

I glued a piece of pleated vinyl to the roof and trimmed it out with matching pinch weld molding.
Attached Images

Black_Sheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 10:19 AM   #4
57FleetsideC4

I am hoping to do a 1 piece headliner that goes beyond the spot in the middle. Steve
Old 02-24-2021, 12:47 PM   #5
skip99

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57FleetsideC4 View Post
I am hoping to do a 1 piece headliner that goes beyond the spot in the middle. Steve
Ive heard that suggestion a few times, i cant use a factory size as i chopped the top and my roof is bigger than an original, i have the abs boards and will make a one piece, but just looking for design ideas

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=428878
skip99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 02:26 PM   #6
mr48chev

Classic parts and maybe another outfit sells a one piece plastic headliner. Not for the thin of wallet though. https://www.classicparts.com/1947-53...20group%20%231

Depending on one's skill and patience a person might just use a two piece for a pattern and cut a new one piece out of similar upholstery backer board AKA Panel board.

That would probably be a local upholstery supply house thing or see if an upholstery shop would sell you a piece.

Or all jokes aside, watch several episodes of *****in Rides and study how the upholstery dude lays the foam on the inside of roofs of cars to glue in those one piece headliners he does. He does most of that with some sort of foam and an adhesive that works like contact cement.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 11:16 AM   #7
Tempest67

I am going to try and make something similar to my door panels.

I think it will be 2 panels to allow for installation.
Attached Images

Tempest67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 03:06 AM   #8
MiraclePieCo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Sheep View Post
I glued a piece of pleated vinyl to the roof and trimmed it out with matching pinch weld molding.
Did you use the Weldwood Landau glue? Sticking good still?
Old 02-26-2021, 09:25 AM   #9
Black_Sheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiraclePieCo View Post
I did, nothing else stands up in the hot sun. Previous attempts with 3M spray adhesive failed miserably.
Black_Sheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 04:02 PM   #10
youngrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiraclePieCo View Post
I used that glue to adhere material to the 1 piece headliner in my 48 truck. It was an all black interior and could get hot at times. That glue held up great for 5-6 yrs until I sold it.

Marc

1948 Chevy Truck - Finished SOLD!!

1953 Chevy Suburban "Family Truckster" Completed: Spring of 2021
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=605484

1994 4x4 Blazer - "Field Find"
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...ferrerid=30857
youngrodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 10:15 PM   #11
Dan in Pasadena

Mine will look like this in the same color as my bench - though this color is very close. I've waited way too long and need to go visit the upholsterer soon. I've seen this done with LED strip lights around the perimeter but I think it would be too "Artsy-craftsy" for me.
Attached Images

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 10:09 AM   #12
57FleetsideC4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena View Post
Mine will look like this in the same color as my bench - though this color is very close. I've waited way too long and need to go visit the upholsterer soon. I've seen this done with LED strip lights around the perimeter but I think it would be too "Artsy-craftsy" for me.
I really like that look. I was going to cover the whole roof area but may just do the middle like that. Steve
Old 03-05-2021, 10:31 AM   #13
55cruiser

We used material similar with press board thin padding, and door edge molding on the outside edge. My wife stitched it and help install it. Bought matching material same as junk yard seat I used.
Attached Images

55cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 09:30 PM   #14
Johns327

I tried that plastic off the shelf one. After it fell in my face while driving it was disposed of and that’s all I have to say about that.

I matched the seat leather and stitch pattern and used the factory boarder rubber. Much happier.
Attached Images

Old 03-09-2021, 04:01 PM   #15
Tempest67

Here is my 51 done with 2 panels
Attached Images

Tempest67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 12:39 PM   #16
57tailgater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johns327 View Post
I tried that plastic off the shelf one. After it fell in my face while driving it was disposed of and that’s all I have to say about that.

I matched the seat leather and stitch pattern and used the factory boarder rubber. Much happier.
327: What material did you use for your backer? I like how you used a stock border rubber too.

Noticed too the factory speaker box and I think I see a couple of speakers in it. What did you use? Any tips on running the wiring? Is that a GPS there too?
57tailgater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 08:17 PM   #17
Johns327

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57tailgater View Post
327: What material did you use for your backer? I like how you used a stock border rubber too.

Noticed too the factory speaker box and I think I see a couple of speakers in it. What did you use? Any tips on running the wiring? Is that a GPS there too?
I applied rattle trap to the metal roof. The upholstery shop made the leather pattern you see and added a backing material, it’s not solid, behind the foam. That was all then glued into place. The border is just really a cover up for the edges.

The speakers came mounted to a plate that went into the stock speaker box, I believe they were kicker brand (there are several out there). I just run those on the stereo front so I can fade them out. Because of their location you need to tone them down and let the other bigger speakers fill the volume.

I used some welding rod and went in from the bottom up in the “A” pillar driver side. I had the visor out so I could feel the rod when it came through. Then I pulled a string in, then the wire. Patients it can be a pain.

No it is not a GPS, it’s the microphone for the radio phone interface. Does it work, not all that well do to the background noise. On the visor might be a better choice but the install could be uglier.

John
Old 03-11-2021, 02:29 PM   #18
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55cruiser View Post
We used material similar with press board thin padding, and door edge molding on the outside edge. My wife stitched it and help install it. Bought matching material same as junk yard seat I used.
Though your picture is a bit out of focus I like the door edge guard. What's the black ting on the mirror? Microphone for phone?

Old 03-11-2021, 02:38 PM   #19
57tailgater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johns327 View Post
I applied rattle trap to the metal roof. The upholstery shop made the leather pattern you see and added a backing material, it’s not solid, behind the foam. That was all then glued into place. The border is just really a cover up for the edges.

The speakers came mounted to a plate that went into the stock speaker box, I believe they were kicker brand (there are several out there). I just run those on the stereo front so I can fade them out. Because of their location you need to tone them down and let the other bigger speakers fill the volume.

I used some welding rod and went in from the bottom up in the “A” pillar driver side. I had the visor out so I could feel the rod when it came through. Then I pulled a string in, then the wire. Patients it can be a pain.

No it is not a GPS, it’s the microphone for the radio phone interface. Does it work, not all that well do to the background noise. On the visor might be a better choice but the install could be uglier.

John
Thanks for the details. I once attempted to go up the driver's side A-pillar with a coat hanger. Yes, not easy at all! Smaller wire such as you used would probably work better. Thx for the info.
57tailgater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 06:39 PM   #20
my56chevytruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena View Post
What are you using around the perimeter? that looks great!!
my56chevytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 12:13 AM   #21
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by my56chevytruck View Post
What are you using around the perimeter? that looks great!!
I posted that pic but it's not mine. I had found it online some place.

Blowing up the picture it almost looks like stock rubber painted a metallic color. I doubt it is because the paint would crack off. Though I HAVE had luck painting weird stuff with high bond brush-on primer from Home Depot!

Old 03-21-2021, 10:08 AM   #22
LEEVON

I have the White Wolf Speed Shop abs plastic headliner. It's not fancy but 10x more durable than the cardboard repops and fits great.