The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-10-2003, 03:10 PM   #1
Blue68

Power Distribution Block

With the addition of electric fuel pumps, lock up converters, after market a/c, power seats, power windows, kickin stereos....etc, there is a significantly higher electrical demands. Since our trucks were not designed for all of this, most things were and have since been wired into the fuse box and fed in many instances through the ignition.

We all know that relays are the way to go with high/constant demand electrical components. But my question for this thread is this. What have you guys done for a power distribution block under the hood? The little bolt/nut that came from the factory is fine for the original, limited setup, but that's about it. I've considered some of the aftermarket stereo distribution blocks from Monster and others but the ones I found required some big freakin wire.

What have you done? Pictures are always good if you've got em.

Thanks.
Todd

'68 C-10 LWB, '98 Z-71 350 w/accessories (Serpentine), Edelbrock Performer, Edelbrock 1405 (600cfm) carb, GM HEI, CompCam Extreme 4x4 roller cam, Thorley Headers, Carter Electric Fuel Pump, Vintage Air, 700r4, 3.73, disc brakes and power steering upgrades.
Blue68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 03:29 PM   #2
Brad
Out of the carpool lane.

I'm interested in this as well. Let's see some pictures of locations as well as actual model used.

1968 C-10 SWB, 5.7 Vortec/700R4/3.73 posi, Torch Red
1968 Camaro, 250/Powerglide, all original (No, I'm not gonna drop a 350 in it!...Jeez!)
2000 Honda VFR in the faster yellow!
2008 Husqvarna TE-610

1967 C-10 SWB 'Six Appeal'-Gone but not forgotten...

Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 03:37 PM   #3
Low68

I'm sorry that I can't help you more, but I saw something in a magazine that sounds like what you are looking for. I believe it was made by painless wiring, but it was a distribution block. I looked at everything on their site and didn't see it. I don't remember the price or the magazine though. If you find anything out about it, let us know.
Low68
Old 04-10-2003, 03:39 PM   #4
Alex Hayley

I am looking into this as well...I had a stereo installer recommended the use of fuse block that would normally be put in a boat. I called a marine parts store...the block, depending upon the amp rating, would run between $35 and $75. Then you just need to wire it up to the battery. It was sugggested that I run the battery lead(2 or 4 gauge) to the block. That would mean that I have two battery leads coming off the battery...one to the starter and one to the block.
Alex Hayley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 03:58 PM   #5
Blue68

What I was thinking (if I can find something that looks good and will work) is run the alternator to one of the posts/holes on the block. Then run the fusible link, ignition wires plus all the other accessories that will be on a relay to the block. Thing is, none of these wires are the 4 awg or 8awg size (except the alternator). Thus not liking the stereo equipment. And some of the other stuff I've seen looks like it goes under the dash with a fuse box. Not that the current single post junction box is real pretty, but I'd like to clean it up some.

'68 C-10 LWB, '98 Z-71 350 w/accessories (Serpentine), Edelbrock Performer, Edelbrock 1405 (600cfm) carb, GM HEI, CompCam Extreme 4x4 roller cam, Thorley Headers, Carter Electric Fuel Pump, Vintage Air, 700r4, 3.73, disc brakes and power steering upgrades.
Blue68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 10:41 PM   #6
XXL
Seņor Member

From the battery terminal, I've got a zero gauge power wire running back to the rear of the cab, where it connects to one side of a PAC-80 relay (the relay is used to operate my compressors). The input side lug on the relay makes a good takeoff point for other power requirements, so I've got more 0 gauge running back into the cab that deadends at another lug. There I can run any of my B+ needs with no problem. At the battery, the wire is fused with an 80 amp fuse, and then the stuff in the cab is fused individually at whatever size is needed. Pics if/when I can get out there and snap some.

Kenneth
XXL is offline   Reply With Quote