The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-24-2019, 10:26 AM   #1
kazoocruiser

Cool Help me find the correct camshaft?

Shalom Y'all, hope you are having a grand Saturday.

The inconvenient problem showed up this week The 4.1 engine, as near as I can tell, has about 157K on it. With that being said, the eccentric for the fuel pump finally wore to the point that the mechanical fuel pump sort of quit working, leaving me stranded for three days. I figured it wasn't the fuel pump when the NEW unit didn't work, EITHER. Hmmmmm.

As a temporary elegant repair, I found a plastic nozzle cover, and because it was a mushy kind of plastic, I was able to push it over the pump arm, thereby removing the excess clearance. Now the truck runs better than ever, since the pump arm is now making good contact with whatever still remains on the cam.

I guess it is a semi-permanent repair, but that isn't good enough for me. I think if GM had gone to this step during manufacture, I wouldn't have been dealing with a metal-to-metal contact wear out.

If you have read this far, maybe you can see where this is going.

Assuming price is no object, and I would replace the lifters at the same time on a truck that burns no oil as well, what low-end cam can be suggested from the members regarding a torque monster replacement?

This is the Inline-6. My thinking is that if the temper on the cam is gone on the cam anywhere, it is an indication that all the tempering in the cam is suspect and the cam has gone soft. If I upgrade the cam now, that work will be done if I ever can afford to upgrade the head from the integrated design to a lump-port something I can attach a supercharger to.

Eagerly anticipating expertise.

/s
Kazoocruiser
1981 Harley Davidson.
Credentialed, semi-retired A.S.E. technician. If you don't like free advice, Ask Someone Else and pay for it.
kazoocruiser is offline   Reply With Quote