The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1988 - 1998 GMT400 Chevy & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds 88-98

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-15-2010, 07:40 AM   #1
DarkFox1
in WAY over my head

I'm baack!

Well, most of you all here on this part of the forum probably don't know me anyway.

but I guess you could consider me darn near a 10 year veteran of this forum.

I've just been without a 67-98 truck for the last 4 years or so.

sooo.. last night I found a guy about an hour from me selling an 88 sierra C1500. Body was REAL rough but he was working it out and I could tell from his other work he wasn't a bondo type guy.

$600 picked up an 88 SWB fleetm v8, 4L60E complete truck.

I'll have pics tonight.

Now.. couple qustions cos I'm just starting out here..

the dash is about ruined. Looks like someone tried to spray paint it and that did't go over well. Anyone like LMC or something make a full replacement plastic trim dash? Or is a salvage yard my best bet for this?

Obviously once I post the pics (tonight hopefully.) you'll see.. it's not a big deal right now to worry about the dash The truck was a gas meter reading truck from Alabama. The v8 (305? 350? have to figure that one out.) runs if you spray something into the intake, but the fuel tank's out cos it was rusted up. Engine has 213k miles on it so it needs to be rebuilt, along with the tranny that has no reverse gear.

Never worked on a truck this "new" as a project. I was looking for a 73-87 but what I found were overpriced rust buckets.

Anything special I should know about these trucks before I dive in? Gonna be lurking for a bit while I save up the $2k or so it takes to rebuild the $600 truck's powertrain but.. figured I'd ask. :P

thanks yall. pics later!
DarkFox1 is offline   Reply With Quote