The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-13-2012, 12:45 AM   #1
72K5NTX

Do springs go bad?

I am about to tear out the front end of my 72 K5 for a full re-do and was wondering what you guys think about replacing springs or just bushings and bolts?

Bushings are shot, replacing them with poly and greasable bolts from ORD but I wanted to know what you guys thought about the nesscesity of replacing springs. I always thought that if they were bad they would just break. These are the original springs.

Also any suggestions on paint for springs and front axle? Chassis black? Por 15?
This is a driver that is getting a frame on resto and believe it or not I've got a budget so powder coat is kinda out. Besides I love it too much to have it down too long.
72K5NTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:03 AM   #2
bk2life
Account Suspended

Re: Do springs go bad?

springs loose their tension after a while and start to sag.

id probably by a lift kit with all new springs/bushings/nuts bolts etc.
bk2life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:24 AM   #3
Firebirdjones

Depends on what you want.

Like mentioned, they do lose some tension over time but in most cases the ride height change is hardly noticable (if at all).

I elected to just do new poly bushings on mine and leave the springs alone for a few reasons. For one, mine still has it's factory "nose up" attitude anyway, and the lighter LS swap I did just magnified that issue. I also prefer the stock ride height because quite frankly I don't like having to climb in and out of it since I drive it daily.

Even new springs that are supposed to be "stock" ride height are really hit and miss. I haven't really been too happy with some of the muscle cars I've restored with what is supposed to be stock ride height springs, and generally have to take measurements, consult with the manufacture, and send them back for a custom set to get the ride height "spot on".

Since we are talking 4-wheel drive vehicles, I don't think it's all that critical. Depends on what you want out of it. They look great when they are lifted too.
Firebirdjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:55 AM   #4
72K5NTX

Bk2life thanks for the input I considered a 2" lift, but I'm trying to keep it pretty much stock. I have had trouble with lifted vehicles in the past (IFS but still) just want to keep a driver stock.

Firebird thanks for the input, I think I will try some bushings and shocks. Any ideas on spring refinishing? I was thinking Chassis Black after some cleaning?

Appreciate the info!
72K5NTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:07 AM   #5
Firebirdjones

Any finish you prefer I'm sure would do the job.

If you want a factory look they were actually bare steel, however there are finishes out there that look similar to that you can use so it doesn't rust if you want a nice contrast from the rest of the chassis.

I'm thinking since this is a driver and not a concours restoration you wouldn't want to run bare steel springs and go through the trouble of coating them with a preservative every so often to keep them from rusting.
Firebirdjones is offline   Reply With Quote