The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > Diesel Conversions

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-14-2013, 03:05 PM   #401
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Re: Project Family Chummins

I had to have my brother go get my old welder back today because the tip twisted off in the tip holder on my new welder. Man, $100 per day, dang. But it'd get the truck going so you could enjoy it.
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 03:14 PM   #402
Ackattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher View Post
I had to have my brother go get my old welder back today because the tip twisted off in the tip holder on my new welder. Man, $100 per day, dang. But it'd get the truck going so you could enjoy it.
I think I found another car guy locally that has one I can borrow
Ackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 03:16 PM   #403
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Good deal man! By the way, have a happy father's day on Sunday too!
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 11:34 PM   #404
jbclassix
Junk Yartist

Ding! turkey's done! Oh wait, you can't tell because your thermometer is stuck in the AC vent still. How is that battle coming?

I love those mirrors. GM came out with them in 03 right? I remember them showing up right after I bought my CIPA mirrors and scheming on how I could make them work on mine... I know you have seen a picture of them because you have commented one of my threads with it in it. Are those 88-98 specific?

YOU ONLY FAIL IF YOU STOP TRYING

70 Crew Cab Build Link

70 GMC Suburban 4X4 build thread

95 Yukon Daily Driver

Rebuilding an NP205
jbclassix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 01:03 AM   #405
Ackattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbclassix View Post
Ding! turkey's done! Oh wait, you can't tell because your thermometer is stuck in the AC vent still. How is that battle coming?

I love those mirrors. GM came out with them in 03 right? I remember them showing up right after I bought my CIPA mirrors and scheming on how I could make them work on mine... I know you have seen a picture of them because you have commented one of my threads with it in it. Are those 88-98 specific?
Yeah, 88-98. They come with a bracket that helps reinforce them so they don't
Vibrate as much. Seem to be nice quality and fit like factory.

I borrowed a welder. It's a MIG, but set up with flux core wire, so I just went with that since the guy didn't send the regulator with me and mine is with my welder. Overall it works fine, but definitely not as nice as using gas. Oh we'll, can't complain.

Good news tonight is that the frame is repaired! Now I have to re-enforce it. I think I figured out a way that will tie the track bar mount, engine cross member, frame and spring bracket all together, so it should be pretty strong.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-15-2013, 05:39 PM   #406
y5mgisi
Second Chance Program

Excellent thread!
Old 06-16-2013, 01:37 AM   #407
Ackattack

Well, hopefully that re-enforces it enough that I won't have any problems again. I didn't get a chance to take it for a test drive tonight, so we'll see how it does in the morning.
Old 06-17-2013, 11:57 PM   #408
Ackattack

A little update:

Somehow during the downtime, most likely messing around installing the alarm system, the ground wire to the blower got messed up. The blower wasn't working at all. So I made up a new ground wire and got that working.

Took the truck out for a test drive. The truck drives fine. When I step on the brakes, it doesn't shift to one side like it did (I was thinking that was bumpsteer due to the panhard bar and drag link not being perfectly parallel, but now realize it was the panhard bar bracket twisting on the frame) So that is good. I was messing around and really getting on the brakes, and I can lock up the rear brakes pretty easy (not a big surprise). So this got me to thinking. I'm thinking I'm going to try to install the rear ABS from the dodge pickup. I haven't looked into it much, but I do know that it did run through the computer. Hopefully I can get it to work without the computer....we'll see. It would make it A LOT better in the snow/ice though. Going about 45 I locked them up and the ass end started swinging around to the front. The good news is the steering and everything feels solid. I do need to adjust the panhard bar to center up the axle and get the steering wheel straight again (when you slide the axle over via the panhard bar, the steering also moves)

While I was driving, with the A/C on, the windshield was fogging up. There is a little leak-by, so a little cold air was blowing on the windshield. Well its so frickin humid, that it was foggin up. Guess I'll get something to block that off for now.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:31 PM   #409
Ackattack

On Friday I'm taking the truck on its first real "road trip"....about 400 miles round trip. It's all interstate so I'll get a good baseline of what my highway mileage is. However, I'll be driving home at night, and my stock headlights suck cause they're so fogged over and yellowed. So tonight I got my clear headlights from Brown Santa and went ahead and got them installed.

I did this just to see better. Later down the road, I'll get the lower turn signals to match.

While I was out in the shop, I corrected a few things. Since I fixed the panhard bar mount, my steering has been off, about 1/4 turn off. Kind of annoying. So I centered up the axle via the panhard bar, and then a little adjustment via the drag link. It might need a little fine tuning, but should be much better.

Another thing that I took care of was with my alarm. I ran the switch power to the block thing under the dash. Apparently this was tied to the instrument panel fuse, and I popped a couple of fuses. So I disconnected it tonight. This disables the starter disable relay, so you can start the truck with the alarm on. I'll get it hooked back up eventually, but its not a huge deal.
Old 06-27-2013, 10:08 PM   #410
y5mgisi
Second Chance Program

Cool! Good luck on the trip!
Old 06-28-2013, 01:26 AM   #411
jbclassix
Junk Yartist

Can I come? I'll ride in the bed and bark at anyone who gets too close to the truck, I promise. As long as you're not going anywhere that has temps like we are getting out here right now.

But seriously, have fun on your trip and be safe!

70 Crew Cab Build Link

95 Yukon Daily Driver

Rebuilding an NP205
Old 06-29-2013, 12:32 PM   #412
Ackattack

The good news: I made it! 400 miles roundtrip without any hitches.

The "bad" news: I filled up at about 300 miles and only got 16.5 mpg. Not quite what I was hoping for. This was pretty much going 70mph the entire way. However, if you put this into perspective, if I had the 454 in this truck, jacked up like it is, I probably would have got 10-12....so I guess 16.5 isn't too bad.

Other observations:
1) I need to re-wire the electric fan. Once I got to my dad's, the fan probably ran for 15 min after I shut the truck off. I just need to put the one side of the relay on a switched power source.

2) I need a higher temp switch for the electric fans. I think they were turning on around 180. I believe my thermostat is 190. I'll see if I can find a 210 or so.

3) The A/C still needs some attention. I was in the upper 90s going out there, and the air blowing out the vents was about 55* on recir, and 60* on fresh air. Should be cooler. I'm thinking part of the problem is there is no space between the condensor and intercooler. A little space would allow air to flow through the condenser, but not necessarily through the intercooler. Of course I don't really have room for this, since the aux fan is hitting the back of the grill. So we'll see what I can come up with.

That's about it. Not too bad
Old 06-29-2013, 12:37 PM   #413
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Congrats on a successful run!

We always have little things we need to tweak no matter how long we work on our toys.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 05:47 PM   #414
jbclassix
Junk Yartist

16.5 is better than my 5.9L and im stock. Do you have an IR thermometer? I would check the inlet and outlet of the condenser and evaporator.

70 Crew Cab Build Link

95 Yukon Daily Driver

Rebuilding an NP205
Old 06-29-2013, 08:59 PM   #415
y5mgisi
Second Chance Program

16.5 is darn good for that big of a truck!
Old 06-29-2013, 10:30 PM   #416
jb1016
"Oh well, it's a driver."

I'm curious because of the mileage, and it's probably in this thread somewhere, but what gears are you running?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Petty
I don't know, but I've been told: You never slow down, you never grow old.
jb1016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 10:53 PM   #417
Ackattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbclassix View Post
16.5 is better than my 5.9L and im stock. Do you have an IR thermometer? I would check the inlet and outlet of the condenser and evaporator.
Good idea, I got one at work I can borrow. I just thought of this too. I have a foam insulator thing (kinda like a coozy) that goes around the dryer I should install as well, especially since its close to the turbo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb1016 View Post
I'm curious because of the mileage, and it's probably in this thread somewhere, but what gears are you running?
3.54s Turning about 1850 rpms at 70.

I'm hoping new injectors will help mileage a little...then my secret weapon...water/meth injection
Old 07-01-2013, 03:24 PM   #418
6lcummins

16.5 isn't bad at all considering you are stock and running larger tires. With the right set of injectors you definitely can do better though.
6lcummins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 05:40 PM   #419
Ackattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6lcummins View Post
16.5 isn't bad at all considering you are stock and running larger tires. With the right set of injectors you definitely can do better though.
Got any suggestions? I was thinking a set of stock 215 HP injectors would be a good upgrade with the stock turbo and 210k+ on the stock injectors
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-01-2013, 07:27 PM   #420
6lcummins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ackattack View Post
Got any suggestions? I was thinking a set of stock 215 HP injectors would be a good upgrade with the stock turbo and 210k+ on the stock injectors
Posted via Mobile Device
215 injectors are a 5*0.009" and I would throw in a set of 5*0.010" injectors at the least. I use them as a stock replacement but tend to lean towards 5*0.012" injectors as they are the same price as the 5*0.010" and give you room to grow. Depending on the pump mods neither will smoke very much if at all until you go WOT. Run the pop pressure within 10% and it will idle smooth as butter.
6lcummins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:46 PM   #421
Ackattack

No work on the truck lately (been working on my Jeep), but I did drive the truck out to one of the plants I work at sometime and was looking at some lakes we have, and dropped the front passenger side tire off into the ditch turning around (grass was mowed level, so I didn't see the ditch). Felt like the front axle fell off the truck, but it took the blow fine. I hopped out just to make sure all was good and went on.

Full shot of the beast....needs a bath:

Last edited by Ackattack; 07-11-2013 at 11:44 PM.
Old 07-17-2013, 07:21 PM   #422
Ackattack

Today I drove about 300 miles round trip, checked my mileage at 17.9!

As I was driving I was thinking of ways to improve fuel mileage. One of the thing that has bothered me is how high this thing sits. Additionally its a little higher in the front than the back, so it looks a little funky to me. Additionally, I would think that sitting nose up a little traps air under it and hurts the mileage. So I'm going to make an effort to lower the front. With the way I did my spring hangers, it will be easy to actually lower it. To get it where steering/suspension links are hitting on everything doing anything will take some more effort. One of the big pieces is the panhard bar hits the bottom of the engine crossmember when lowered. So I'm going to C-notch the engine crossmember (ya know....low rider style). I don't remember what other interferances there are. It will be awhile untill I actually get to this, but its in the works.
Old 07-17-2013, 07:37 PM   #423
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

She looks good. Been waiting to see how you do the lowering on it.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 01:39 PM   #424
Ackattack

Well I did a little looking, and I ordered a new pitman arm. This one is off a jeep wagoneer, and only has about a 1" drop compared to the 3 or 4 inch drop the one I have on it now has. This will allow me to raise the panhard bar as well. Then I can do some clearancing and hopefully lower it down.

It will be a few weeks until I get it done though.
Old 08-07-2013, 12:10 AM   #425
Ackattack

I'm taking tomorrow and thursday off and I'm going to knock out some work on the truck. Plans include: install new gear box to get rid of some slop, new wagoneer pitman arm, steerting stabilizer, lower it (which means hacking out some material out of the engine crossmember I believe), start making the wiring look nice, install a new hotter fan switch wired up to the relay on the ignition switch rather than the battery, so the fan doesn't run when its off.

I'm not sure I'll get done with everything, really depends how much clearancing I have to do to lower it