The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-31-2010, 07:59 PM   #1
drewfever1020

defference between a siphon and gravity paint gun?

whats the defference? and which is better to paint with and why?
drewfever1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 08:43 PM   #2
DennyB
Led Sled! Discs R 4 ME!

Re: defference between a siphon and gravity paint gun?

Moved to paint and body.
You will get better info here.

Denny
DennyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 08:49 PM   #3
drewfever1020

anyone?
drewfever1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 08:53 PM   #4
RandyL1966

Gravity Feed vs Conventional Feed Spray Guns

When selecting a spray gun you have a choice between gravity feed (cup on the top) and conventional feed (cup on the bottom). It is really a misnomer to call a conventional feed spray gun “siphon feed” because “siphon feed” has a specific meaning. However, using the term “siphon feed” often communicates “cup on the bottom” to many technicians. This article discusses the differences between the two systems.

Conventional
Feed

Gravity Feed

Conventional feed guns were the first to be widely used in autobody repair. Until the advent of HVLP (high volume low pressure), all conventional feed spray guns were siphon feed.

In the 1980’s gravity feed spray guns came into wide use and their popularity has overtaken the use of conventional feed. Painter’s have begun to favor them over conventional feed guns and the introduction of HVLP as a requirement by environmental laws made gravity feed the natural choice.
Spray guns all have one thing in common - the atomization of fluid at the tip where the paint leaves the fluid nozzle. There are two passageways in a spray gun - one for air and one for fluid. Atomization is achieved by a vacuum formed by the air rushing past the fluid passage while drawing the fluid into the air stream. At this point, air is mixed with fluid and a spray mist ejects from the nozzle.

In order to achieve sufficient atomization, paint has to be either drawn up from below the gun (conventional feed) or fed from the top down into the nozzle (gravity feed).
In order to achieve sufficient atomization with siphon feed, greater air pressure must be used in order to attain a strong enough vacuum to pull the fluid up the feeding tube from below. The requirement for greater air pressure in siphon feed guns is the main limitation for their use in HVLP systems. It is much more difficult to keep low air pressure and achieve adequate vacuum.

It is obvious that gravity feed overcomes this limitation and less air pressure is required to atomize the paint.

Spraying with less air pressure has the advantages of less overspray, less waste and greater control for the painter. These are the reasons why painters have been switching from conventional feed to gravity feed guns.

Although HVLP is a requirement in most areas, whether or not you use an HVLP gun, gravity feed offers the advantage over conventional feed because of the lower air pressure requirement.

For those users who prefer conventional feed, it is possible to achieve atomization at lower air pressures by pressurizing the cup. This assists the siphon process by forcing the fluid up the feed tube. You can identify a pressurized cup by the presence of an air tube that extends from the air supply to the cup.

Last edited by RandyL1966; 01-31-2010 at 08:55 PM.
RandyL1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 08:57 PM   #5
vintagesteel

What he said.

Last edited by vintagesteel; 01-31-2010 at 09:01 PM.
vintagesteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 10:10 PM   #6
suville

Used em both and still prefer a pressure pot set up, much more flexibility and no dripping paint! And I'd like to see someone get sufficient coverage on the rockers and fender,door bottoms with a gravity set up ,tried it several ways and always went back to a pressure pot less filling of the cup too they come in 2 quart up to many gallons and I've had em with a binks #7 on a 3 gal down to the small detail gun on a 2 quart and luved em! To each his own.
suville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 11:29 PM   #7
vintagesteel

Quote:
Originally Posted by suville View Post
And I'd like to see someone get sufficient coverage on the rockers and fender,door bottoms with a gravity set up ,
Do it EVERYDAY! It IS easier with a pressure pot, but you have WAY more waist . Takes more thinner to clean your equipment.
Old 01-31-2010, 11:54 PM   #8
Driveway Dreams
I have car A.D.D.

I will take a gravity feed gun with a PPS or DeKups system any day. Easy to use. Easy to clean. And you truly can spray at any angle with no drips or mess.
The 86 build thread SOLD

Are you a Colorado member?Click here.
Driveway Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 12:56 AM   #9
vintagesteel

Quote:
Originally Posted by driveway dreams View Post
i will take a gravity feed gun with a pps or dekups system any day. Easy to use. Easy to clean. And you truly can spray at any angle with no drips or mess.
me too!