The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 07+ Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-11-2013, 11:05 PM   #1
Chvy2NV

Re: just bought a 08 crewcab 2wd and i'm dropping it. any sugestions?

what's up LEEVON.. im ordering my MCG 4/6 kit tomorrow for my 08 NNBS Crew Cab, 2WD but now that im reading this, im not sure if im getting the right stuff.. here is what was suggested to me. the coil relocators were not mentioned.. but now that im looking at the invoice, neither were the drop coils..

5/7 Drop
spindles with extra caster
drop struts
flip kit w/ shock extenders
lift hangers and bump stops

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEEVON View Post
Howdy! Thanks for the referral Keith. McGaughy's is the only way to go on the new trucks and I tried it all and combinations thereof. I recommend a combination of their 2" drop spindles and coil relocators for the best ride. The drop springs don't ride well in my opinion, and are known to sag. Belltech's struts aren't my favorite either for the same reasons, although it sounds like piecesparts is happy with them so they're not out of the question. The coil relocators literally just move the spring down 2" on the factory strut, retaining the stock ride, and are adjustable in small increments. That is important because you may need that adjustment either from side to side or just overall and you don't want anything that will sag, wear or compromise your alignment in the future. I haven't needed any special alignment cams or anything with the spindle/relocator combo, they come back to spec fine. Steer clear of the DJM control arms.

For the rear, McGaughy's flip kit is the way to go, better if combined with shock relocators to correct the angle and give you some more travel. Even better with their helper bag kit (pricey, not absolutely necessary but worth it if you haul or want to adjust your ride).

I've used every big name drop shock and they all suck. People seem to like Belltech's Street Performance shocks, I haven't tried the newest ones. The old ones were not good. I used Monroe's shock charts to cross reference a stock style shock from a light truck that fit. Picked up a set at the parts store for a good price and the ride was perfect. If you want the p/n's I'll have to dig them up just let me know.

If you have install questions just post 'em up!
Chvy2NV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 09:13 AM   #2
red02chevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chvy2NV View Post
what's up LEEVON.. im ordering my MCG 4/6 kit tomorrow for my 08 NNBS Crew Cab, 2WD but now that im reading this, im not sure if im getting the right stuff.. here is what was suggested to me. the coil relocators were not mentioned.. but now that im looking at the invoice, neither were the drop coils..

5/7 Drop
spindles with extra caster
drop struts
flip kit w/ shock extenders
lift hangers and bump stops
With my experience I recommend that you don't install the rear shock reloctors. The ride will be a little on the stiff side with them. If you go with the 7" rear drop get some Energy suspension 3/8" tall bump stops and drill/tap the frame, part number 9.9132G. It will give you a little extra clearance. The new struts ride great compared to factory struts/coil relocators.
Old 12-16-2013, 07:31 PM   #3
Chvy2NV

Thanks guys. What rear shocks do you recommend. I've read good things about the new MCG's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by red02chevy View Post
With my experience I recommend that you don't install the rear shock reloctors. The ride will be a little on the stiff side with them. If you go with the 7" rear drop get some Energy suspension 3/8" tall bump stops and drill/tap the frame, part number 9.9132G. It will give you a little extra clearance. The new struts ride great compared to factory struts/coil relocators.
Old 12-16-2013, 08:28 PM   #4
red02chevy

Quote:
Thanks guys. What rear shocks do you recommend. I've read good things about the new MCG's.
The new McGaughys ride great without the relocators.
Old 12-18-2013, 06:42 PM   #5
Chvy2NV

Mcg's site is a bit confusing with all the different options. What's the PN to the new rear shocks.
Old 12-19-2013, 03:04 AM   #6
mcmlxix
Collector of Projects

Quote:
Mcg's site is a bit confusing with all the different options. What's the PN to the new rear shocks.
I was looking at McG's site.. PN #34060 or #34070... The latter is less money and includes front and rear shocks....

These are the notes for #34060 that uses factory shocks...
Notes: 3/5 Drop Uses Factory Shocks, 4/6 Drop Requires Rear Shocks Part# 2050 or 3205 on Crew Cab Trucks, Fits All Cab Sizes, Fits 2wd & 4wd Trucks, 4/6 Not Recommended On 4wd Trucks Due To CV Axles Binding

Also, what about new front shocks? I have 127K+ miles on what I think are the original shocks. I found a M0nroe 39105 front shock as a replacement.... Any input on quality?

D60 BIG BRAKE UPGRADE Click HERE

Last edited by mcmlxix; 12-19-2013 at 03:34 AM.
mcmlxix is offline   Reply With Quote