The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-20-2024, 06:52 PM   #76
LT7A

Re: The more I learn...the more puzzled I become!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach-Burban View Post
Hello LT7A…thanks for responding to my thread! For some reason, I started writing other threads instead of keeping this one going? Probably because I had specific questions about certain tasks at hand and wanted the title to reach the intended targets???

Anyway…you are spot-on with your analysis, and I have actually taken your advice in advance of you saying it! There is nothing wrong with driving the Beach-Burban with its natural patina…or even with spotted-in paint or primer showing. Besides making good decisions like taking custom paint off the table, I’ve made some poor choices (for good reasons, I thought) and I’m still working through those to get me back on track. First is the EFI (written up in a separate thread) which needs a few more tweeks to get it dependable…and second is finishing the interior as I saw another members “woody style” headliner that I’ve got an excellent woodworking friend helping me out with.

After those are to a point that I can put my seats back in, my plan is to drive it a lot…because this past year has bummed me having it sit so much (and the grand kids keep growing, so my time is running lower with each passing day).

Thanks for the encouraging words!

Woody
Even with the setbacks, that all sounds good. It also sounds like we need some new pictures, hint, hint ; )
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 01:45 PM   #77
Beach-Burban

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT7A View Post
Even with the setbacks, that all sounds good. It also sounds like we need some new pictures, hint, hint ; )
Well this one picture was already posted in my other thread that was specific to the Sanderson header and Pro Flo 4 issues I was dealing with, but does show most of the progress. I’ll post more when I actually have something new to report…thanks for your interest!

Woody

Name:  IMG_4160.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  56.8 KB
Beach-Burban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 01:32 PM   #78
Beach-Burban

Sorry for my absence…I’ve been focusing on helping my daughter acquire her first home in Tennessee and in doing so, I’ve donated my “Suburban Fund” in full! I will only be working on non-cost (or low-cost) items for a while until my account builds itself back up some! I’ve identified a probable source for my “tuning issues” regarding the EFI conversion…fuel tank venting, which will require more than just changing the filler cap so I’m going to put that on the back burner a little bit longer.

I do have a sore spot I’d like to address and luckily, I purchased most everything I’ll need to put it back together a while ago. The view from the rear looks like the window is shattered, caused by the ancient “spray-on” window tint that has baked over the decades. It won’t come off with conventional processes, so I’ve removed the window to see what else I can try? Not shown in these pictures is that I have also removed the rear hatch from the hinges to address the rust around the window flange. I’ll post a follow-up as things progress.

Woody

This picture doesn’t come close to showing how bad it really looks!
Name:  IMG_4239.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  33.6 KB

The rubber retaining bead was so brittle that it came out in little pieces!
Name:  IMG_4242.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  27.9 KB

After cutting off the outer lip, the window was easily removed and the rubber seal was unexpectedly very flexible!
Name:  IMG_4246.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  28.1 KB

The view looks better already!
Name:  IMG_4247.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  35.7 KB

The lip will require some extra attention, but I’ve seen others with far worse rot!
Name:  IMG_4248.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  16.9 KB
Old 03-20-2024, 01:46 PM   #79
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
A first home is a big deal for anyone. Glad to hear she is able to get that done, it's not easy now days. Good for you for helping her out. There will be plenty of time for the truck.

I would say you got pretty lucky on the rear hatch rust.... Just keep plugging away at it.

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 06:46 PM   #80
BAD1916

If you have any issues getting that window cleaned up I have a window that is in great shape that is free to a good home. I went barn doors and sold the hatch and still have the glass. I’m not too far from you in Camarillo.
BAD1916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2024, 11:24 AM   #81
Beach-Burban

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
-
A first home is a big deal for anyone. Glad to hear she is able to get that done, it's not easy now days. Good for you for helping her out. There will be plenty of time for the truck.

I would say you got pretty lucky on the rear hatch rust.... Just keep plugging away at it.
Thanks Leon…it was a struggle for them, but hopefully this will help plant their feet on solid ground!

Woody
Old 03-21-2024, 11:27 AM   #82
Beach-Burban

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAD1916 View Post
If you have any issues getting that window cleaned up I have a window that is in great shape that is free to a good home. I went barn doors and sold the hatch and still have the glass. I’m not too far from you in Camarillo.
That’s a very generous offer…the tint on the glass is fighting with me a lot, so I’ll PM you for details! Thanks!

Woody
Old 03-21-2024, 04:09 PM   #83
HO455
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
-

What Doc said times two!
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2024, 08:22 PM   #84
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:

Nice gesture. That's what makes this board such a great place to hang out.....

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2024, 01:13 PM   #85
BAD1916

Yes sir. This is a great community.happy to contribute a little
Old 03-23-2024, 04:54 PM   #86
Beach-Burban

I met Bryce (member BAD1916) today to retrieve the rear hatch glass that formerly resided in his 1971 GMC Suburban (factory Big Block vehicle). Very cool guy…I really appreciate the gift!

Woody

I requested a little tour around his Burb and was excited to see the Big Block under the hood!
Name:  IMG_7195.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  57.0 KB

This is a really clean piece of glass and the green Soft-Ray tint matches mine perfectly!
Name:  IMG_7197.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  64.1 KB
Old 03-23-2024, 07:38 PM   #87
BAD1916

It was great meeting you and your wife this morning. Glad to see that window go to a cool Suburban and that it will make your life a little easier on clean up.
Old 03-23-2024, 07:56 PM   #88
Beach-Burban

Quote:
It was great meeting you and your wife this morning. Glad to see that window go to a cool Suburban and that it will make your life a little easier on clean up.
Thanks Bryce…great meeting you as well!

Woody
Old 03-27-2024, 08:58 AM   #89
nsiti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach-Burban View Post
I met Bryce (member BAD1916) today to retrieve the rear hatch glass that formerly resided in his 1971 GMC Suburban (factory Big Block vehicle). Very cool guy…I really appreciate the gift!

Woody

I requested a little tour around his Burb and was excited to see the Big Block under the hood!
Attachment 2345361

This is a really clean piece of glass and the green Soft-Ray tint matches mine perfectly!
Attachment 2345362
So cool, nice to see the camaraderie!

Also, nice suburban shirt! Where did you get it from?
nsiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 11:31 AM   #90
Beach-Burban

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsiti View Post
So cool, nice to see the camaraderie!

Also, nice suburban shirt! Where did you get it from?
I know Nick…It’s great getting reminders of how this group helps each other. I myself, hope to be able to contribute in this way too someday!

As for the “Suburban Shirt”…I attended the C/10 Nationals in Fort Worth, TX last year, and this was the only 3 door Suburban related item I saw at the entire show (out of the thousands of vehicles, not even one 3 door in attendance!). My wife spotted this vendor who had a huge display showing silhouettes of just about every popular vehicle you can think of…and had not only the 71/72 versions of burbs, but the 67/68 and 69/70 versions as well! Unfortunately, I dropped the ball and did not get the vendors contact information…so if anyone knows the guy I’m talking about, please post his company’s name for us!!!

I hope your project is moving along better than mine, Nick!

Woody

Name:  IMG_3480.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  65.6 KB