The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-04-2020, 09:52 PM   #1
Trent_McAllister

Swapping c20 74 front clip onto c30 (squarebody)88?

I am considering buying a c30 454 turbo 400 80,000 miles.

I have a '74 c20 in very dented and rough shape with 350 50 psi compression #6 cylinder, 4 speed manual. To make good mechanically I would estimate a few thousand and easily 5000 in cosmetic just to get to a clean coat of primer.

Can I switch front clips fairly easily? I would have both trucks complete parts available. The '74 was purchased new by grandfather in 74 and beat to death until his death, and beat to death some more and rusting outside the past 20 years. It is such a fixture of the family after all these years I want to at least try to simulate the look of it but have a newer more powerful truck.

I think I know so far:
Must reuse 74 Windshield wiper posts and linkage
Must use the 88 Radiator core bushings. Fabricate different top support brackets
Must use 74 hinges.
Rewire headlights and turn signals
Possibly use newer bumper or drill holes in different places to re use the original.

Would I have to move the body mount perches on the frame any?
Is there a special consideration going from c20 to c30 I don't know about?
Am I missing anything else?

One other question, am I legally allowed to cut out the VIN portion of the door frame on '74 and weld it in place on '88 or is this a no no legally?

Trent_McAllister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 05:37 PM   #2
demian5

Re: Swapping c20 74 front clip onto c30 (squarebody)88?

If you take the whole clip with the hood hinges and core support and inner fenders, you should only have to figure out where to put the stuff that was on the old inner fenders, and maybe even not have to rewire any lights. Only difference would be if you had 4 headlights. Then you just use the low beam connectors for the two light system as they had low and high beams.
1983 K2500 Sierra Classic Suburban 6.2
Instagram: C10sofOC
demian5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 05:15 PM   #3
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent_McAllister View Post
I am considering buying a c30 454 turbo 400 80,000 miles.

I have a '74 c20 in very dented and rough shape with 350 50 psi compression #6 cylinder, 4 speed manual. To make good mechanically I would estimate a few thousand and easily 5000 in cosmetic just to get to a clean coat of primer.

Can I switch front clips fairly easily? I would have both trucks complete parts available. The '74 was purchased new by grandfather in 74 and beat to death until his death, and beat to death some more and rusting outside the past 20 years. It is such a fixture of the family after all these years I want to at least try to simulate the look of it but have a newer more powerful truck.

I think I know so far:
Must reuse 74 Windshield wiper posts and linkage
Must use the 88 Radiator core bushings. Fabricate different top support brackets
Must use 74 hinges.
Rewire headlights and turn signals
Possibly use newer bumper or drill holes in different places to re use the original.

Would I have to move the body mount perches on the frame any?
Is there a special consideration going from c20 to c30 I don't know about?
Am I missing anything else?

One other question, am I legally allowed to cut out the VIN portion of the door frame on '74 and weld it in place on '88 or is this a no no legally?
It is illegal to cut the VIN off of one body & put it on another.

What exact years are the two trucks? Obviously one is a 74. There is mention of '88 core support bushings but it's good to mention specifically what both trucks are.

Member N2TRUX recently did a 74 'round-eye' conversion on a newer Square. While it's a 'bolt-on' deal, it IS NOT just a bolt-on deal. He had several issues w/things not aligning or fitting as expected & he has experience w/these trucks so he's not clueless. Look up his build thread for specific/related info.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 01:41 PM   #4
CSHADES

it is not a direct bolt on swap. I also did a thread about doing this. If you look up "rebuilding my 1977 plow truck" I have a lot of info and pics on how I did it.
CSHADES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 06:05 PM   #5
old blue 86

One thing that is different is the venting at the back of the hood.
80 back is part of the hood 81 up is a separate piece.
old blue 86 is offline   Reply With Quote