The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

View Poll Results: Should i put airbags???
YES 31 49.21%
NO 32 50.79%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-14-2011, 12:54 PM   #26
67cheby
67cheby

Re: Do i put air bags on this ?

i dont see the problem with wanting to win trophies..... most guys want to win when they play sports or hunting ... i guess i must be a trophy hound, because someday when my truck is done i want to be "WINNING....like Charlie Sheen"....so i get it !!
67cheby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 01:15 PM   #27
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67cheby View Post
i dont see the problem with wanting to win trophies..... most guys want to win when they play sports or hunting ... i guess i must be a trophy hound, because someday when my truck is done i want to be "WINNING....like Charlie Sheen"....so i get it !!
In my book, 'winning' is driving your truck out to someplace like the GoodGuys in Scottsdale & hanging out w/Dino, Nate, & that group w/a slick truck. Drive it to all the local cruises they have & then head off east into the night on your way back home.

Trucks were made to be used. Use them & enjoy them....
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 01:48 PM   #28
67cheby
67cheby

i can agree with that also !!
Old 07-14-2011, 02:19 PM   #29
original-71
///Relaxed Atmosphere

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
Asked again....
NO i really dont want to cut into the truck, the c-notch is maybe the farthest i would go.
NO i really never thought about the expense or the upkeep since ive never had an air ride system.
The only thing i want to gain is lower look, may just bring the rear down some more.

Thats why iam asking your thoughts for advice, if i was set on doing it, i wouldnt ask you guys and it would be in pieces right now

87-Silverado Static Drop 5/7" Raceline Explosion 5 22X8.5 (F) 22X10 (R)
hector
2012 Toyota 4-Runner
2014 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport Crew Cab

Last edited by original-71; 07-14-2011 at 02:31 PM.
original-71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 02:24 PM   #30
chevyman95

Only if you want them, who cares what others think
chevyman95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 02:25 PM   #31
VA72C10
VA72C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by original-71 View Post
NO i really dont want to cut into the truck, the c-notch is maybe the farthest i would go.
NO i really never thought about the expense or the upkeep since ive never had an air ride system.
The only thing i want to gain is lower look, may just bring the rear down some more.
Thats why iam asking your thoughts for advice, if i was set on doing it, i wouldnt ask you guys and it would be in pieces right now
If c-notch is as low as you want...I'd vote no and just bring down the rear another inch or two if you can (without notching) If you're not going with a big notch it won't look like the photoshopped picture posted here. And the front shouldn't be too low if the rear won't be.

Maybe just look at some interior or engine bay upgrades that might put you over the top at a show if that's still a concern.
Old 07-14-2011, 02:27 PM   #32
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

With a set of PB tubular a-arms, and bags,... you can get the front really low,... but you would have to lose the inner fenders.
To get the rear just as low,... you will need to cut the bed floor.

The Porterbuilt Stage 2 kit might be the best rear kit without cutting the floor.
The lowest you will get,... will be like n2billets stepside, "Stella Mae" .
Attached Images

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 02:38 PM   #33
colin_havens

Beautiful truck! I have to agree with these guys, you should put bags on it because you want to, not just to get a trophy. I have a shelf in my garage full, and most I would part with no problem. If you are just looking for some plastic, I will send you a couple lol

Now that being said, a dropmembered truck laying the rails on the pavement definately demands attention depending on what shows you are at. At a local show with all these older guys and their origional restored rides.... I stick out like the black sheep of the family. However I cant stand anywhere near my truck without getting a thousand questions asked about how it works and how do I even drive it. But at a large show like ///RA Allstar Event, Showfest, or any other "minitrucker" show, 90% of the rides are bagged. Its such a common thing that just bags dont make you stand out, but rather attention to detail does. A couple of my favorite trucks are not on bags, but rather are static dropped and just overall super clean. Just so you can see here are some pictures:

Both of these might not draw as much attention as one slammed and tucking a third of some big billet wheels AT FIRST, but upon further inspection they are so clean and all the little details make you spend a ton of time looking at everything. In fact they have both recieved some "BEST OF ______" trophys at ///RA Allstar Event, which says alot about them. When it comes to winning shows, cleanlienss and details will win most of the time. I have seen plenty of half assed slapped together truck on bags at some of these shows and they didnt win a thing, and I didnt want to be anywhere near them when they left the show and were driving on public roads.

Build your truck FOR YOU, and not for some pieces of plastic. Last year I went to the ///RA Allstar Event show, the first show my truck had seen in 2 years. I did get a top 50 trophy, but I can tell you thats not the part about the show I enjoyed the most. The best part was the cruise down there with the windows down and the radio cranked, and hanging out with my friends at the show and the hotel at night.
colin_havens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 02:40 PM   #34
SCOTI

Quote:

If you plan on keeping the factory front inner wheel wells in place & not cutting the bed floor for pumpkin clearance, you would get to about where n2billets Stella Mae is (this truck actually has the bed floor cut out for pumpkin clearance though).

The ride would be smoother on air.
The ride height would be adjustable on air (not just for dropping either).
Rear bags also allow the truck to maintain cargo capacity where dropped springs might suffer.

Do you have a budget in mind that would steer the decision process one way or the other?
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 07-14-2011, 02:56 PM   #35
original-71
///Relaxed Atmosphere

i guess its just my own curiosity getting to me. trust me its not about the trophies,i have my share of best of's. i guess its more of people telling me at the shows "man this truck bagged would be so this and so that" that makes me ponder to myslef HMMMM do i or dont i ? then i think to myself i like just getting in it, turn the key and go. sorry if it seems like i just want a trophy its more like would air bags make that big a difference on my truck is really what i was trying to get at.

hector
2012 Toyota 4-Runner
Old 07-14-2011, 03:07 PM   #36
original-71
///Relaxed Atmosphere

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
Do you have a budget in mind that would steer the decision process one way or the other?
its not about the budget, i know i have friends that would help with the labor if i decide to do it. its if i really want it or not and the way the poll is going it looks like more not, you guys are honest and helpfull i can appreciate that.

hector
2012 Toyota 4-Runner
Old 07-14-2011, 03:14 PM   #37
bruin_d

What "upkeep" are you guys talking about with running bags? I've had a few bagged vehicles and never put a dime into anything after the initial purchase.
bruin_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 03:43 PM   #38
colin_havens

Quote:
i guess its just my own curiosity getting to me. trust me its not about the trophies,i have my share of best of's. i guess its more of people telling me at the shows "man this truck bagged would be so this and so that" that makes me ponder to myslef HMMMM do i or dont i ? then i think to myself i like just getting in it, turn the key and go. sorry if it seems like i just want a trophy its more like would air bags make that big a difference on my truck is really what i was trying to get at.
Well this is a totally different reason than I thought. I will say, I have had my fair share of static dropped trucks, but nothing I have ever owned rides as good as my 67. Not even my wifes Lexus RX330. Before I swapped the crossmember for a raised one from Suicide Doors and 4 linked the rear, it was bagged with plates up front and and bags on the trailing arms, with a bolt in c notch. I still had the stock wheel wells in the back, but had to pull the ones up front and trim the inner fender to get it as low as possible. You can get a great ride from a bag setup, and depending on how low you want to be will determine how much you have to cut the truck up.

I dont consider the maintence to be a real big deal, and it gives me an excuse to work on the truck for a bit. A visual inspection of the lines and bags, and draining any moisture from the airtanks occasionally and thats about it right now. Eventually you could wear out some compressors, but the last set lasted several years and were still pumping air when I replaced them, although not like they did when they were new I assume. Check your wireing occasionally, just to be sure your connections are good, and maybe clean out a valve if it gets stuff in it. I dont consider any of that overkill.

My truck rode pretty good with the first setup, but the second one is amazing. The rack and pinion greatly improved the responsiveness and feel when driving, and now it truely takes advantage of the airbags sweet spot. Good shocks help dampen any bumps, so the ride is neither bouncy or rough. Its smooth as glass, rides better than a cadilliac.

If you are ok with cutting into it a little, you can lay it completely out and install some of Mike's Slosh tubs up front, and raise the bedfloor in the rear so you still have a flat bed floor and somewhat stock look, and the protection up front from throwing stuff all over the engine bay and the underside of your hood.

If not, Porterbuilt can set you up with a mild drop setup that would require minimal cutting at most or none at all if you wanted. Just so you can compare, Here are some pics of mine through the its procession:

When I first got her, it had an airbag setup. No drop spindles, just bags in place of colis and spacers. Still had the front inner fenders and everything

This is after adding a bolt in c-notch and mounting the bags directly to the trailing arms with 2 inch drop block, and adding drop spindles and removing the front inner fenders and cutting into the inner fenders

And now with an aftermarket crossmember, rack and pinion, and triangulated 4 link and a step notch in the rear

Just remember, it seems like once you start going lower, it becomes an addiction. you keep going lower, and lower, and lower..... till the frame os on the pavement and then you think about doing a body drop lol
colin_havens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 04:01 PM   #39
SCOTI

Red face Re: Do i put air bags on this ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruin_d View Post
What "upkeep" are you guys talking about with running bags? I've had a few bagged vehicles and never put a dime into anything after the initial purchase.
This is the sort of stuff I was thinking of....
Quote:
Originally Posted by colin_havens
I dont consider the maintence to be a real big deal, and it gives me an excuse to work on the truck for a bit. A visual inspection of the lines and bags, and draining any moisture from the airtanks occasionally and thats about it right now. Eventually you could wear out some compressors, but the last set lasted several years and were still pumping air when I replaced them, although not like they did when they were new I assume. Check your wireing occasionally, just to be sure your connections are good, and maybe clean out a valve if it gets stuff in it.
None of this is necessary on static dropped trucks. Relatively minor, but it should be factored in when making educated decisions.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 07-14-2011, 04:37 PM   #40
Rochlow

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin_havens View Post
Just remember, it seems like once you start going lower, it becomes an addiction. you keep going lower, and lower, and lower..... till the frame os on the pavement and then you think about doing a body drop lol
Amen to that!!! I'm in the final stage of my blazer and I'm already debating on the slosh tubs, dropmember and step notch...
Rochlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 04:49 PM   #41
67cheby
67cheby

well....i say DO IT ..but i am a little one sided...LOL
Old 07-14-2011, 05:25 PM   #42
original-71
///Relaxed Atmosphere

Quote:
well....i say DO IT ..but i am a little one sided...LOL
you guys are killing me

hector
2012 Toyota 4-Runner
Old 07-14-2011, 05:54 PM   #43
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Let me help,... DO IT!
You have a perfect ECE suspension now.
Sell the old springs on here and swap in some Slam Specialties RE-7 bags.
Add a bolt in c-notch and a set of 2" blocks in the rear.
Add some Accuair air management,... and call it done.

Option #2- Deluxe Version:
Call Nate Porter and add his PB tubular a-arms, and front shock relocators.
Then add a Stage 2 rear kit,... plus the above mentioned air managemant.

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 06:10 PM   #44
67cheby
67cheby

option #3....HACK THE $#%@ out of it ...and lay pinch welds!!!!!!!
Old 07-14-2011, 06:17 PM   #45
Rochlow

Option #4
Trade your truck for my blazer, add all the go low goodies and have room for the whole fam damily!! Lol...
Rochlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 06:23 PM   #46
67cheby
67cheby

they may not be great but we are at least giving you IDEA'S !!!LOL....we just want to help
Old 07-14-2011, 07:20 PM   #47
original-71
///Relaxed Atmosphere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rochlow View Post
Option #4
Trade your truck for my blazer, add all the go low goodies and have room for the whole fam damily!! Lol...
i wouldnt sell or trade the truck it has more meaning to me than cash or another vehicle but i have been considering getting a blazer also, post of a pic of yours when you get a chance brother

hector
2012 Toyota 4-Runner
Old 07-14-2011, 07:21 PM   #48
original-71
///Relaxed Atmosphere

Quote:
they may not be great but we are at least giving you IDEA'S !!!LOL....we just want to help
i know, thanks...

hector
2012 Toyota 4-Runner
Old 07-14-2011, 09:05 PM   #49
travis4710

Yes, but only because you want to. Who cares what everyone else thinks as long as you are happy with it. The truck will always be with you, while the trophies are packed up in boxes.
Posted via Mobile Device
travis4710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 09:16 PM   #50
72BlckButy
Tot Roddin'

Kind of been in a similar situation to be honest and thanks to a few (you know who you are), I've seriously considered doing it. But...

For me it was about the truck. I wanted a drop on my truck that could be reversed if I would choose to do so, or possibly the next owner if I ever decide to sell (which is quite unlikely ). I love the looked of a bagged truck and would love to have my truck sit that low, but just couldn't bring myself to cut the frame for the c-notch.

Now, it also sounds crazy to want to buy/build another truck just so it has bags, not that I haven't considered this myself. If the moneys there do it.

I think your truck will look great either way you choose to go... I'd still buy it regardless.

Keep us posted on your decision.

1969 CST SWB - Project Blank Slate (4.5/6" ECE Static Drop, 6-lug disc brake upgrade (manual), Billet Specialties Vintec 20x8.5 255/40 (F) 20x10 295/40 (R), 250 I-6)
1960 AMF Skylark - Tot Roddin' (Lowered with custom frame; soon to include custom push bar and interior)
2008 Silverado CrewCab 1LT (5.3L, 3:73, 4x4, LT1, Z-71, Towing Package)
72BlckButy is offline   Reply With Quote