The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Racing and high performance (trucks haulin more than hay)

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-07-2012, 04:21 PM   #1
blue1969camaro

'80 C10 drag truck project

So I thought I would share my new project with you guys. I'm a student at Alfred State College taking motorsports technology. In this class each student has to have their own high performance project to work on throughout the year so I am turning my '80 C10 into a drag truck. My plans are ladder bars and coil over rear suspension, ford 9 inch with prob 31 or so by 10.5 tires. In the front I am fabbing my own k-member out of 2x3 steel tube and will use tubular control arms and coil overs and I will try to use a manual rack and pinion to shave as much weight as possible. For a motor I'm building a mild 350 until money allows and that will be backed by a TH400 i built last year in transmission class. I will be making my own roll cage probably 10 or 12 point. Now here are a few pics of my progress so far.

This is what it looked like when I brought it home. Frame is solid but cab needs rockers and cab corners.

Cab is off and headed to the autobody shop for the autobody students to fix the rust. Can't beat free labor!

Frame is boxed where the new k-member will be welded on and the truck is on the plate to ensure everything is perfectly level.

This is where i got the 2x3 k-member idea. Its a paved oval ACT late model similar to a NASCAR cup car.
blue1969camaro is offline   Reply With Quote