The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-09-2017, 02:13 AM   #1
skytop

hood won't open easily

When the hood is released, I hear the catch release but the hood does not 'pop open.' I must carefully fiddle with the hood to slowly get a grip on the edge to work it to open.
What do I need to do to get the hood to 'pop' open? Thanks for the help.
Old 05-09-2017, 07:00 AM   #2
midniteblues

Re: hood won't open easily

Lube the hinges and every moving and non moving part of the hood latch.

The striker part of the latch(the part on the hood) might need a slight adjustment.
There is four bolts holding it on the hood they give you enough movement too center the pin in the hole.

The fit of the hood plays a big part of the freedom of movement once the latch is pressed.
Sloppy hinges could be a culprit too if they are flexing or twisting the the springs are not working as they should.

Never had one I couldn't get too work perfect with the above.
'74 heald super bronc vt8. tecumseh powered moon rover.
midniteblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 07:02 AM   #3
terry b

Lube up your hinges. Work them buy opening and closing your hood. Also does the hood fit well or do you have to push the back corners down after you close the hood?
terry b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 11:24 AM   #4
n33k0

Once you get it open does it move easily or does it feel stiff? My hood was a pain in my butt for a long time, I always thought the hood was heavy and it was normal to require a little effort to open and close. Then I lubed the hinges and now the hood feels super light, easy to open and close, no need to slam it to get it to latch properly.
Old 05-09-2017, 12:26 PM   #5
webfoot

A member here makes a spring for the hood that pops it open easier, I installed one and it works great. Search the classifieds, it was pretty inexpensive.

BUT lubing the hinges would cost a lot less than that.

1970 K-20 4-speed, factory AC.
webfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 01:54 PM   #6
skytop

Great suggestions from ALL! Thanks for the replies.
Old 05-09-2017, 03:35 PM   #7
70STOVEBOLT

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry b View Post
Lube up your hinges. Work them buy opening and closing your hood. Also does the hood fit well or do you have to push the back corners down after you close the hood?
If the rear corners need pushed down, is that a sign of weak springs or worn out hinges?

Owner installed options:
Front Sway Bar
Power Steering
Power Brakes
Cigar Lighter
Courtesy Lights
Deluxe Side Markers
Wiper Delay
Power windows
Power Locks
Sniper EFI

2015 Silverado 1500 LS 4.3/6L80/3.23 lowered 2" front & rear
70STOVEBOLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 04:26 PM   #8
demian5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70STOVEBOLT View Post
If the rear corners need pushed down, is that a sign of weak springs or worn out hinges?
Adjustment problem
1983 K2500 Sierra Classic Suburban 6.2
Instagram: C10sofOC
demian5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 05:03 PM   #9
terry b

Moving the hinges around takes Patience. Mark them first so you can gage how much they move. Watch all your gaps as you move the hinges. Never slam the hood shut while making adjustments. That said lube the hinges and cycle the hood open and closed a lot. When you are sure it moves freely then make adjustment's. There are three bolts in the hinge. Never loosen them all the way. Drop the back of the hinges down about 1/4 inch. Adjust the back gap first about 3/16 of a inch. By dropping the back of the hinges down this should help with not having push the hood down at the back. Once you get the back down and the Gap's right the hood should pop open.
terry b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 06:23 PM   #10
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70STOVEBOLT View Post

-
Here's the procedure posted by member Huck:

"To get the back down with existing hinges---open hood----loosen the three bolts that attach hinge to fender (both sides). Now push the hood up till the hinges stop moving, ---now push it open a bit more to preload the hinges. Tighten hinges. (two people make it a lot easier--hehehe) now carefully lower the hood--this may take a few adjustments to get it to sit just right (height wise). You may need to adjust the hood front to rear to allow for proper clearance with the cowl."

Be sure to close the hood very slowly and have your helper watch the hood to cowl clearance..... Also keep an eye on both sides.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 10:05 AM   #11
70STOVEBOLT

My hinges have been tight on this truck since I bought it and I have lubed them up and the hood has been off and back on a few times and I still cannot get them adjusted so the hood raises without a lot of effort. I looked at a truck last summer and I raised the hood almost effortlessly. Do I need new hinges or springs?

Owner installed options:
Front Sway Bar
Power Steering
Power Brakes
Cigar Lighter
Courtesy Lights
Deluxe Side Markers
Wiper Delay
Power windows
Power Locks
Sniper EFI

Old 05-21-2017, 02:55 PM   #12
skytop

I used white lithium grease and foaming spray lithium grease all over the hood bolt and thoroughly coated the latch assembly and again while operating the latch. The hood hinges were also lubricated well. The hood moves smoothly when open and is aligned all around when closed.
When I pull the latch handle, the hood still will not 'pop' open.
I have searched the internet for many days looing for a fix but I have not found anything promising.
How did the Chevy mechanics deal with this vexing problem back in the day?

Last edited by skytop; 05-21-2017 at 08:24 PM.
skytop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 04:10 PM   #13
skytop

Found this post (from 2003) on this forum that describes a way to adjust the hood so allow the hood to 'pop.' I will try it out.

Here is the post and the link to it. Thanks Huck.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ad.php?t=71896

"try my patented method of hood adjustment and that may do the deal without any modifications. First lube the hinge pivot points real well first with some oil then with some silicon white lube spray. When nice and smoooth, then with the hood open all the way, try adjusting the hinges a bit by loosening the rear two bolts on the hinge to fender adjustment, then push the hood up just a bit beyond the normal open position---just enough to get the hinges to piviot a bit more to the rear. Then tighten the rear bolts. Now slowely bring the hood down. May need to loosen the hood latch plate that mounts to the hood so that the tapered latch centers into the latch mechanism. Once done, the rear of the hood will sit flat with the fenders/cowel. And, when you pull the latch to open, the hood should pop up about 2 " as long as there is no hood to fenders/grill alignment issues. Done this many-many times and it works even with some worn hinges!!! Good luck---Huck?"
Old 05-21-2017, 06:12 PM   #14
RichardJ

All of the above, but in the mean time try this.

Liquid Wrench, White Lithium Grease

Mine look to be in pretty bad shape. The hood did pop up, but was very hard to lift. I had tried WD40 and even a few drips of motor oil with no improvement.

The lithium sprays on as a dripless, white foam. After moving the hood up and down twice, the improvement was immediate and remarkable. If I was expecting a 10% improvement, I actually got a 90% reduction of effort needed to open the hood.

I've used the product on other things since then such as garage doors, but only with moderate results. Only with the '67 hood hinges has the product worked so well.

Old 05-21-2017, 06:34 PM   #15
skytop

I have been researching how to solve his hood problem for three weeks now. I picked up pieces of the solution here and there. Lubrication is critical. I always use CRC Lithium spray and LubriMatic white grease. Thanks for your input.
Attached Images

Old 05-21-2017, 09:54 PM   #16
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by skytop View Post
Found this post (from 2003) on this forum that describes a way to adjust the hood so allow the hood to 'pop.' I will try it out.

Here is the post and the link to it. Thanks Huck.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ad.php?t=71896

"try my patented method of hood adjustment and that may do the deal without any modifications. First lube the hinge pivot points real well first with some oil then with some silicon white lube spray. When nice and smoooth, then with the hood open all the way, try adjusting the hinges a bit by loosening the rear two bolts on the hinge to fender adjustment, then push the hood up just a bit beyond the normal open position---just enough to get the hinges to piviot a bit more to the rear. Then tighten the rear bolts. Now slowely bring the hood down. May need to loosen the hood latch plate that mounts to the hood so that the tapered latch centers into the latch mechanism. Once done, the rear of the hood will sit flat with the fenders/cowel. And, when you pull the latch to open, the hood should pop up about 2 " as long as there is no hood to fenders/grill alignment issues. Done this many-many times and it works even with some worn hinges!!! Good luck---Huck?"

That's basically what I posted in post #10 above.... by Huck

LockDoc

-
Old 05-25-2017, 05:53 PM   #17
skytop

I finally have a perfectly opening and closing hood! After working to get my hood properly aligned and closing well (by adjusting the bolt, creating more space from the front grill), I installed a hood popper. It installs by removing one of the hood bolt assembly 1/2" bolts. It is important to orient it exactly as the directions picture shows.
My hood now closes smoothly and easily and pops open about 2" every time! I obtained the popper from Frank's Pickmups, Olympia, WA.
Attached Images

Old 05-25-2017, 08:20 PM   #18
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
I finally have a perfectly opening and closing hood! After working to get my hood properly aligned and closing well (by adjusting the bolt, creating more space from the front grill), I installed a hood popper. It installs by removing one of the hood bolt assembly 1/2" bolts. It is important to orient it exactly as the directions picture shows.
My hood now closes smoothly and easily and pops open about 2" every time! I obtained the popper from Frank's Pickmups, Olympia, WA.

Good deal. Glad you have it working properly.

LockDoc

-
Old 05-26-2017, 08:10 AM   #19
Hart_Rod

Quote:
I have been researching how to solve his hood problem for three weeks now. I picked up pieces of the solution here and there. Lubrication is critical. I always use CRC Lithium spray and LubriMatic white grease. Thanks for your input.
Where's the best place to pick those 2 products up? TIA
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 09:11 PM   #20
skytop

CRC product can be found in any NAPA, AutoZone, Advance Auto, O'Reilly and such. The Lubrimatic grease comes out of a local full size hardware store or farm/tractor store.
Old 05-30-2017, 01:52 PM   #21
70STOVEBOLT

I sprayed some door and operator spray lube on all the pivot points of the hinges, and then used Huck's method of adjusting and pre-loading the hinges, and it is a lot easier to raise and lower. I will get some lithium spray to put on them next. Me left hinge is a little loose, but Huck's method worked and back of the hood lays down like it should. I love this board!

Owner installed options:
Front Sway Bar
Power Steering
Power Brakes
Cigar Lighter
Courtesy Lights
Deluxe Side Markers
Wiper Delay
Power windows
Power Locks
Sniper EFI

Old 05-30-2017, 04:23 PM   #22
demian5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
-
Here's the procedure posted by member Huck:

"To get the back down with existing hinges---open hood----loosen the three bolts that attach hinge to fender (both sides). Now push the hood up till the hinges stop moving, ---now push it open a bit more to preload the hinges. Tighten hinges. (two people make it a lot easier--hehehe) now carefully lower the hood--this may take a few adjustments to get it to sit just right (height wise). You may need to adjust the hood front to rear to allow for proper clearance with the cowl."

Be sure to close the hood very slowly and have your helper watch the hood to cowl clearance..... Also keep an eye on both sides.

LockDoc
I would probably add "loosen all bolts, slide hood and hinges forward about 1/8" and tighten front bolt, then open fully and push...yada yada yada" keeps it from closing up against the cowl and lessens possibility of paint damage. Ask me how I know
1983 K2500 Sierra Classic Suburban 6.2
Instagram: C10sofOC
demian5 is offline   Reply With Quote