The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-02-2016, 12:01 AM   #801
swampbog

Re: 1976 Square "Simple Green"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostMy65 View Post
Read that article earlier this week and it got me think of what hose they were including in their (FiTech) kits.
I do some hunting around and it seems like most hose companies that are selling a "push-lock" hose is actually using Parker brand hose. That hose is a Synthetic rubber and while it's ok for use with ethanol it's only ok for a while till the "crap" gas starts to deteriorate it.
I started pricing out the the pump and both filters from FiTech, the pump being $110 and the filters being $25 and $45 http://fitechefi.com/default.asp.pg-...riesComponents
I decided to spend a little extra and get some hoses that will last hopefully the life I own the vehicle (screw the guy who buys it from my wife once I die) and from what I've been reading, and what that link says, it's PTFE lined hoses.
Last year I had to buy a new carb because the one that was on the Jeep when I got it, for some strange reason the body was deteriorating, the guy who I took it to to see if he could salvage it never seen it before. He couldn't say 100% it was the gas but thought it probably was a bad zinc plating job and the gas combined. It was a Holley and of course since I wasn't the orginal owner I didn't have a leg to stand on warranty wise.
Anyways because of that I rather spend an extra couple of hundred for hose that will last. If FiTech was smart they would offer two different kits, one cheaper with the "push-lock" hose and a better quality hose kit for a $100-$150 more.
swampbog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 12:03 AM   #802
swampbog

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodsGreen10 View Post
Yep swamp posted that. That is why I ordered up a set of ground straps. I think I need more grounds honestly. I feel it is more of a ground issue than a power issue. Thanks everyone for helping. We will get this figured out so this does not happen to others.
See, your the Guinea Pig

Old 01-02-2016, 12:09 AM   #803
swampbog

Just seen this on another forum
http://www.transamcountry.com/commun...?topic=71747.0 Reply #12

Quote:
Efi Harness had all wires included except for a ground wire that we made
Hmm..I wonder why they had to make one.. Hmm.
Old 01-02-2016, 12:15 AM   #804
LostMy65
But Found Her 25yrs Later!

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampbog View Post
Just seen this on another forum
http://www.transamcountry.com/commun...?topic=71747.0 Reply #12

Hmm..I wonder why they had to make one.. Hmm.
You and I seem to have similar search techniques.
I just found that also. Posted it in the 'Fitech Experience' thread.

66 C20 Service Truck:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=428035
LostMy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 12:17 AM   #805
LostMy65

Hopefully Ray will be sober tomorrow.

He's got a lot of reading to catch up on.

66 C20 Service Truck:
Old 01-02-2016, 12:38 AM   #806
swampbog

Quote:
You and I seem to have similar search techniques.
I just found that also. Posted it in the 'Fitech Experience' thread.
Nope, this was all you. I seen that you posted it on the other thread (which I'm also subscribed to) and I wanted, as Ray gets to call him now, RG10 to see it so he knows he's not the only one who had to make a ground wire.
A little more ammo for him to go back to FiTech about, hopefully when I get mine in the spring it'll be included along with better instructions.

I don't care for the name RG10, I'm going to call RodsGreen10 GP from now on.
Old 01-02-2016, 01:20 AM   #807
RUN GMC

Im waiting to find out anxiously because Im pulling the trigger on this thing as we get this figured out...........oh yeah guinea pig RG10 sounds more like a laboratory test subject to me........perfect.......
RUN GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 11:50 AM   #808
ray1970

Ray here.
DONT do this..
I have two cards one standard one adder.
I was thinking why not ID one ..
And I did.....well the one I ID wont work.

Note to self do not scribe your chip....

Ray.
Attached Images

ray1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 11:58 AM   #809
LostMy65

I really don't think that little scribing should cause the card not to work.

66 C20 Service Truck:
Old 01-02-2016, 12:09 PM   #810
LostMy65

Quote:
Nope, this was all you. I seen that you posted it on the other thread (which I'm also subscribed to) and I wanted, as Ray gets to call him now, RG10 to see it so he knows he's not the only one who had to make a ground wire.
A little more ammo for him to go back to FiTech about, hopefully when I get mine in the spring it'll be included along with better instructions.
I know it may be as simple as we having to add a ground wire, but last night I was so close to cancelling my order with summit. I've been one to early adopt the latest smartphone to only end up being the mfg freakin beta tester. A year later, after the mfg pushes out software updates and patches, then the phone finally works.
In that article about wiring I linked, it mentions the inferiority of trying to ground through metal. Steel isn't anywhere near as good a conductor as copper.

66 C20 Service Truck:
Old 01-02-2016, 12:11 PM   #811
ray1970

Ray here.
Me to...
It was working fine than I pulled it out marked it put it back in.......NO GO.

Ray.
Old 01-02-2016, 12:26 PM   #812
swampbog

Quote:
I know it may be as simple as we having to add a ground wire, but last night I was so close to cancelling my order with summit. I've been one to early adopt the latest smartphone to only end up being the mfg freakin beta tester. A year later, after the mfg pushes out software updates and patches, then the phone finally works.
In that article about wiring I linked, it mentions the inferiority of trying to ground through metal. Steel isn't anywhere near as good a conductor as copper.
I hope that any updates that they do to their software can be installed on the units currently out in use. I can't see why it wouldn't be possible but that is another question I will have for FiTech.

Adding a ground wire shouldn't be that big of a problem, really all you need is a wire run from the unit to a good ground.
I'm lucky and I have a dedicated ground junction in on my firewall that I can attach the wire to.
Adding a junction block makes it easier to attach accessories since you don't have a rats nest on the battery.
http://www.summitracing.com/search/p...ibanner=SREPD4
I have the Painless 8 point distribution block for both my ground and 12V.

Yeah steel isn't as good as copper but steel is better than nothing and enough of it should make up the difference. But then again most wire you are going to use is copper anyways, right?
Old 01-02-2016, 01:58 PM   #813
ray1970

Ray here.

I need to apologies for mostly drifting along in this tread..(really)

The fact the Fitech setup didn't have a deduced ground wire was a bit of a issue to me.
being in the motor sports world I have seen both used on and off over the years.

I was never a big fan of internal grounds...Yes I have had problem's with external grounds also but those I can fix...

Ray........... Drifting along .....I do plan on reading this hole thread word for word before the end of the day...All 33 pages.
Old 01-02-2016, 02:35 PM   #814
RodsGreen10

Quote:
Hell dont cancel your order. I am headed home so we shall see.
RodsGreen10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 02:36 PM   #815
RodsGreen10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1970 View Post
Ray here.

The fact the Fitech setup didn't have a deduced ground wire was a bit of a issue to me.
being in the motor sports world I have seen both used on and off over the years.

I was never a big fan of internal grounds...Yes I have had problem's with external grounds also but those I can fix...

Ray........... Drifting along .....I do plan on reading this hole thread word for word before the end of the day...All 33 pages.
I find it hard to believe that you would actually read the entire thread. But it is a good read.
Old 01-02-2016, 02:47 PM   #816
ray1970

Ray here.

There will most likely 34 before I get done....

Ray.
Old 01-02-2016, 03:01 PM   #817
LostMy65

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1970 View Post
Ray here.

I need to apologize for posting that I hoped you'd be sober today. I wasn't sober when I posted it. ;-)

66 C20 Service Truck:
Old 01-02-2016, 03:04 PM   #818
swampbog

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodsGreen10 View Post
I find it hard to believe that you would actually read the entire thread. But it is a good read.
In fact I just did that yesterday, I read the entire thing and I liked it.

Holy crap, I broke 50 post and I've only been here for about 2-1/2 weeks. I bet 48 to 49 post are on this thread alone and I don't even own a Chevy, closest I come to is a HEI distrubitor and GM style steering column.

Last edited by swampbog; 01-02-2016 at 03:10 PM.
Old 01-02-2016, 03:16 PM   #819
RodsGreen10

Quote:
In fact I just did that yesterday, I read the entire thing and I liked it.

Holy crap, I broke 50 post and I've only been here for about 2-1/2 weeks. I bet 48 to 49 post are on this thread alone and I don't even own a Chevy, closest I come to is a HEI distrubitor and GM style steering column.
Thanks Swamp. I think it is a good build thread myself.
Old 01-02-2016, 04:00 PM   #820
LostMy65

Is this the hose you bought Ray? Www.summitracing.com/parts/fra-602026

66 C20 Service Truck:
Old 01-02-2016, 05:13 PM   #821
ray1970

Ray here.

The only hose I had to buy was some high presser stuff from the local repair shop at 8.00 in the evening...(good time to get more beer)

Someone in shipping forgot to put it in the box with the fuel tank thing...
It can happen..........

What I like about this forum so far is that everyone is like minded not narrow minded.
But the first person who starts crying on my shoulder and tells me am his only friend am running.......

Ray..
Old 01-02-2016, 06:57 PM   #822
diceman50

As I stated on an earlier post I am going to help my neighbor (Z10) install this system on his 69 Camaro so I have been following this thread closely. It has become apparent to me that there is a grounding problem with this unit. Z10 and I have a mutual friend named Greg who is an Electrical Engineer and a fuel injection genius. Greg has helped us on several EFI projects and when I say he is an expert I mean it. He even wrote his own tuning software. If you want to see some of his work go to Z10's build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=603726&page=5 post #111 and 115.

Z10 received his unit recently and the three of us looked it over and had a long discussion about it and decided we would definitely be adding a ground to the unit. When I suggested that we put it on one of the throttle body flange studs I was surprised when Greg said no. He says it is not a good practice to ground to anything that has a gasket under it. I argued that the stud would be providing the ground. He agreed as long as the nut/bolt is tight but, how many times have you checked the nuts or bolts on a carb or throttle body or even an intake manifold and found them loose. He's right, sometimes I have found them finger tight. Plus there is powder coating on top of the flange. That can be easily removed but there could still be a problem if the gasket shrinks to the point that there is little or no tension between the ground wire and the nut. After checking it with a meter we found there is also some powder coating inside the holes.

So we decided the best solution is to ground to the main body of the unit where the ECU is located. After looking it over we found 2 unused holes on one side of the unit. They are tapped 8-32. Powder coating will need to be removed here as well. We are going to run a braided ground wire from here to the engine block. Not the intake manifold for the same reason. The larger threaded hole near the center of the picture looks like a good spot but it also has a gasket and/or powder coating between it and the ECU.

Some of you might think this is overkill and it may be, but if you are sitting on the side of the road wondering why your truck won't run I think not.

I am posting this because I am afraid some of you may be thinking like me and not like an Electrical Engineer. I hope some of you find this info useful.

Old 01-02-2016, 07:02 PM   #823
LostMy65

Quote:
Originally Posted by diceman50 View Post
As I stated on an earlier post I am going to help my neighbor (Z10) install this system on his 69 Camaro so I have been following this thread closely. It has become apparent to me that there is a grounding problem with this unit. Z10 and I have a mutual friend named Greg who is an Electrical Engineer and a fuel injection genius. Greg has helped us on several EFI projects and when I say he is an expert I mean it. He even wrote his own tuning software. If you want to see some of his work go to Z10's build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=603726&page=5 post #111 and 115.

Z10 received his unit recently and the three of us looked it over and had a long discussion about it and decided we would definitely be adding a ground to the unit. When I suggested that we put it on one of the throttle body flange studs I was surprised when Greg said no. He says it is not a good practice to ground to anything that has a gasket under it. I argued that the stud would be providing the ground. He agreed as long as the nut/bolt is tight but, how many times have you checked the nuts or bolts on a carb or throttle body or even an intake manifold and found them loose. He's right, sometimes I have found them finger tight. Plus there is powder coating on top of the flange. That can be easily removed but there could still be a problem if the gasket shrinks to the point that there is little or no tension between the ground wire and the nut. After checking it with a meter we found there is also some powder coating inside the holes.

So we decided the best solution is to ground to the main body of the unit where the ECU is located. After looking it over we found 2 unused holes on one side of the unit. They are tapped 8-32. Powder coating will need to be removed here as well. We are going to run a braided ground wire from here to the engine block. Not the intake manifold for the same reason. The larger threaded hole near the center of the picture looks like a good spot but it also has a gasket and/or powder coating between it and the ECU.

Some of you might think this is overkill and it may be, but if you are sitting on the side of the road wondering why your truck won't run I think not.

I am posting this because I am afraid some of you may be thinking like me and not like an Electrical Engineer. I hope some of you find this info useful.

Keep us updated.
I like all the arguments you and your friends made.

66 C20 Service Truck:
Old 01-02-2016, 07:03 PM   #824
swampbog

Quote:
Is this the hose you bought Ray? Www.summitracing.com/parts/fra-602026
I'm not sure but I think you meant to ask me.
I haven't bought any hose yet since I'm not ordering the FiTech until right before spring.
The hoses I'm looking at are http://www.summitracing.com/search/p...1%2B4294920957 I haven't made up my mind on which exactly yet but I'm leaning toward the Fragola because of the cost of the hose plus it's fittings. I'm also getting a section of -8 AN hose for the tank at the pump. I'm copying what Fitech shows how to hook up a inline pump, this way if I have problems with the fuel delivery they can't say it's they way I ran it.
Make sure what ever hose you get you get the right fittings. Some hose have crimp only style so unless you have the crimper ($$$$) you'll have to take them to a shop that can crimp them for you.
Also be concerned on the bend radius, some hose bend sharper without kinks than others. One of the ones I looked at had a bend radius of 5" which wouldn't work in one area for me but the best bend radius one I looked at took crimp fittings only, I have to pick somewhere in between.
And don't be limited to the ones I picked, just make sure it's PTFE and it has a conductive core (static discharge), and you'll be fine.
Old 01-02-2016, 07:06 PM   #825
swampbog

Quote:
Originally Posted by diceman50 View Post

That's the same issues I was wonder about, gasket and the stud with powder coating.
Please, please take a picture after you get the ground wire hooked up and tell us how it does.