The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-21-2011, 07:36 PM   #1
Storm Rider

1969 C10 LWB Fleetside

For those that missed my intro thread, I just picked this baby up last Sunday.

For specifics, the original 350V8 was replaced by a stock 350 crate motor about 5 years and 21300miles ago. It has an Edelbrock 4bl. And the engine sounds just like a purring tiger at idle with it's dual glasspacks. Roars like a lion when accelerating.

It didn't come stock with AC... but it got converted to AC at some point, everything is there except the evaporator coil unit... couple people local both said that I should be able to find one for about 100.

The transmission is the stock auto 3 on the tree hydro-matic. Smooth shifting... in fact, it's smoother than the automatic transmission on my partner's Ford Focus. I'd kinda like to change out to something else someday... but probably not till this one gives up the ghost.

It does have a very nice Alpine stereo with a 10 disk changer and Sirius radio... I'll be pulling the changer and Sirius setup because I use MP3's these days when I'm not listening to good old FM.

The interior is alright, the doors need some work and the seat needs to be bolted in... looks like it has a brand new or mint original headliner with chrome trim. The seat isn't original... the mounting pads don't line up well with the mounting brackets. But it is in very good condition with a fold down jump seat segment that has a wood cup holder/storage box on the back side.

Prior to these pictures I removed the upper molding because it was held on by screws and I wanted to treat the rust that no doubt caused... I had not washed away the grime.

Since these pictures I've...

Given her a bath and scrubbed off the crap that was under the molding

Removed the tool box and the headache bar.

Cleaned the bed of all debris.

Scrubbed all the little rust blossoms off the wheels.

Pulled/scraped all the window tint (except the tint on the visor portion of the windshield, which will happen soon as I get more tint), and cleaned the windows thoroughly.

Replaced the mirrors, though I'm still looking for replacement stock-like mirrors so I can get rid of the towing mirrors.

Ordered the factory service manual.

Ordered a new accelerator pedal (that I hope will fit.)

Started on removing the rust on the chrome rally spare... this is worse off than the wheels on the truck and my hands gave out before I was done.

Primed and painted the replacement rear springs I got with the truck, I made the mistake of spraying Purple power on them to clean them... it stripped the paint off.

Purchased new Monroe Gas-Magnum shocks for the rear.

Next post... A current pic or two, and the "TO DO LIST"
Storm Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 08:22 PM   #2
dmack91

Re: 1969 C10 LWB Fleetside

Sounds like a good start.
dmack91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 06:18 PM   #3
Storm Rider

In lieu of pictures for the moment because I had to take drastic measures to prevent heat stress from turning into heat stroke, I figured I'd mention that I changed the rear coils and shocks she rides about 2 inches higher and much stiffer.

Using HD coils painted blue, with the yellow Monroe Gas-Magnums.

Haven't driven her but to move her around the parking lot, but far more stable a ride.

Pictures forthcoming.
Old 07-23-2011, 10:24 PM   #4
Storm Rider

So here are some more pictures. First the new rear suspension. Yes I need to pull the diff apart and at least relube an change the gasket... that will happen sooner rather than later.

Next up are two interior shots of the cab.