The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current Classic GM Trucks Classifieds > The 1967-1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Parts Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-15-2007, 01:54 PM   #1
Big Block
Big Block

Help! from one ton guys!

I bought a 1972 Chevy C/30 one ton dump truck and I need front rotors. The aftermarket rotors are 12.5 and rub on the dust sheild bolts on the inside of rotor. The original are 12 3/8 dia.. Everything that I can find has a taller hub. Aftermarket are 7 11/16 from rotor to top of hub. The originals are only 7 1/2 to 7 3/4. Can't tell for sure they are wore out and not much left. But they are not 7 11/16. I'm going nuts, GM doesn't make them any more. I'm sure they only fit 71 and 72 body. The parts books say they will fit later trucks but I know they dont' fit mine. I have 16" wheels. I bought new wheels and tires and am removing split rims. I bought longer studs to put in rotors but the rotors are junk. The front max weight is 7200 and the rear is 11000lbs. Help any one run into this problem. Thanks PS. I'm checking with local junk yards.

Last edited by Big Block; 06-15-2007 at 01:58 PM. Reason: please move to right thread!
Big Block is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 02:01 PM   #2
krue
Designated A-hole!

Re: Help! from one ton guys!

Moved this to the parts board for you.

We're Still Debt Free Except for the House!!!
www.daveramsey.com

70 GMC SWB Stepside project "Green Booger" soon to be 6.0l/4l80e
93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
krue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 07:22 PM   #3
special-K
Special Order

I`ve never run into this problem.If the rotors are different and you don`t find good used 71/72s,you can use the later rotors and dustshields.If nothing else,you can swap a newer frontend in.I don`t recall having a clearance problem.Did you check with Napa?

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 09:29 PM   #4
kwmech

When I swapped my 69 to disc I used the front end off of an 85. How about a machine shop to cut the OD down a little bit. You are only talking about 1/16'' of an inch per side. Will this interfere with the caliper? What about bending the dust shield out of the way? Honestly I have never heard of this problem b4.,

Is there any way you can post a pic of this

Last edited by kwmech; 06-15-2007 at 09:30 PM.
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 10:10 PM   #5
woodridge

I've upgraded mine to the later model spindles and calipers, did't even try to get rotors. See if you can still see the casting # on the back side and maybe the better parts store can cross it over for you.
I still have the set that came off mine, don't know how thin they are but can check monday if you are interested.
woodridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 08:41 PM   #6
Big Block
Big Block

Thanks for the responses. It is rubbing on the dust sheild bolts. I took the rotors back to Napa. The guy tried to find casting # but no luck. I may go to the junk yard and look at the dust sheild that I got the wheels off of it was a 77-79 chevy daul wheel truck and see if the dust sheilds are different. I will go back and get the new rotors and maybe grind down the heads of the bolts. I should have tried to put the caliber on when I tried it the first time. I dont want to replace the whole thing but it may end up that way. Thanks
Big Block is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 10:39 PM   #7
woodridge

I think you will find that the newer rotor is also thicker, mine were, so I'm not sure your calipers will work.
Old 06-23-2007, 08:40 PM   #8
woodridge

I was doing some cleaning in the shop today and found an old Wagner brake parts catalog that has rotors listed for our ton trucks but didn't write it down and didn't bring it home, I will run up there tomorrow and get the number and see if it is still available.

Here is the Wagner number: bd60442
I tried to cross it with NAPA but it came up as the single rear wheel. Maybe to call them and have them research it in there old catalogs, if it is an older store they should have some that go back far enough.

Last edited by woodridge; 06-23-2007 at 09:58 PM.