The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-27-2012, 04:15 PM   #1
ooimpalaoo

DIY step notch?

has anyone made a step notch for a 67-72 from scratch ...im in canada and after the extra 100$ shipping i get bent over for border tax with another 100$ for a part that costs only 140$ so has any made one and if so do you still have the plans...looks like most of the ones you can buy the side is one solid piece do you think i could make it in 3 pieces that are all welded any help would be great thanx..
ooimpalaoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 05:33 PM   #2
ooimpalaoo

Re: DIY step notch?

or does anyone know a place in canada to get the right notch?
Old 03-27-2012, 06:32 PM   #3
ooimpalaoo

i know the notch you buy has a sway in it...but if i cut one out of square tube so it wont have the sway will it be ok what can i do? please help..do i need that sway? what problems am i going to get into?
Old 03-27-2012, 07:32 PM   #4
texastrendz

Use some 2x3 or 2x4 rectangle tube and cut the sway into the tube with a miter on the ends. A lot of people have done this. If you are capable of welding the notch in, you should have no problem fabbing the notch. Google is your friend.
texastrendz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 07:51 PM   #5
ooimpalaoo

do i need the sway?
Old 03-27-2012, 08:15 PM   #6
ooimpalaoo

ok i think i can do it just need to know what the width is on the inside of the step on the top and bottom can anyone give me the specs please thanx...
Old 03-27-2012, 10:09 PM   #7
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooimpalaoo View Post
ok i think i can do it just need to know what the width is on the inside of the step on the top and bottom can anyone give me the specs please thanx...
Measure you current frame.
Duplicate the width dimensions as closely as possible & then build the height your specific set-up requirements.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 10:18 PM   #8
ooimpalaoo

i dont know what i require ive never done this and i dont know what it is im doing lol i want to lay frame and pos lay pinch so im guessing i need a step notch ad bags in the rear..as far as the front goes im going to Z it and cup the lowers and drop spindles if i need as well as bags...i dont know was just going to roll with it ...been looking on here and it seams like whatever hight i make the step i can just add cups under the bags or no cups and blocks if needed...what am i doing? its a spare frame but if all goes well ill be useing it so i would like all to go well
Old 03-27-2012, 11:44 PM   #9
SCOTI

Quote:
i dont know what i require ive never done this and i dont know what it is im doing lol i want to lay frame and pos lay pinch so im guessing i need a step notch ad bags in the rear..as far as the front goes im going to Z it and cup the lowers and drop spindles if i need as well as bags...i dont know was just going to roll with it ...been looking on here and it seams like whatever hight i make the step i can just add cups under the bags or no cups and blocks if needed...what am i doing? its a spare frame but if all goes well ill be useing it so i would like all to go well
There are 2 possible ways to determine what you want to know: #1) educated calculations from measuring; or #2) guessing.

For option #1, if the truck is rolling/assembled, you need to know the difference in height between the lower edge of the frame rail @ a point under the cab vs. the lower edge of the frame rail directly above the rear axle centerline as measured from the ground. If it's a bare chassis, strip the frame to the rails. Set it on the ground so the rails where the cab is positioned are flat on the floor & get a measurement from the ground to the bottom edge of the frame rail where the rear axle centerline would be. You need to know the height difference between these 2 points so you can plan for the necessary height required for the step notch.

Add 2.5" to the radius of the tire OD that you want to run (1.5" = 1/2 the axle tube above center; 1" = enough height for a bumpstop above the tube; 1.5" + 1" = 2.5"). Knowing this tells you how tall the frame rail needs to be built to clear that tire OD combo. Once you've done the 'homework', simple math from where the frame is when on the ground (stock) to where it needs to be (laid-out) tells you how tall it needs to be built for your application.

I cant tell you about option #2 as I don't have much experience with it.

I'm curious though.... What welding & fabrication experience do you have?
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 03-29-2012, 04:14 PM   #10
Jay W

Go to KMS tools they probably can get you a regular step notch at a decent price. Good place for all your 67-72 chevy parts needs down in your area. I dont think ICBC likes to insure modified frames (ie welded) but I dont think they will through the book at you for a bolt in that has been engineered to support the cut section.

http://www.kmstools.com/car-parts-30000000/

I think the coquitlam location has the parts in there store.
Old 03-29-2012, 04:30 PM   #11
blazer2007

Sorry, I think you might be over your head on this project by your self.Try the front first and see how you do, try not to do everything at once. j.m.o.I live in vernon too
blazer2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 10:54 PM   #12
ooimpalaoo

yes im going to get a little help i put the bags in the rear today..no notch.. in 2 weeks KMS will have my spindles in and ill be doing that+ the 5 bolt rear swap...then the step..i dont think it will be that hard..i build 4x4s and cand weld very good...
Old 03-30-2012, 10:43 AM   #13
blazer2007

be careful on kms ,some of the stuff is junk,They sold me bags for the fr and one went bad in a summer and they would,t warrenty it and the valves were bad.Buy your bags from here, our dollar is good now .There is a swap meet at the gm dealer by lordco this fri and sat,might find some parts there
blazer2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 05:18 PM   #14
ooimpalaoo

ok when i step notch my frame do i want to flip my trailing arm mount? and what is better bags over axle or the bags just in front of the axle? stock trailing arms....??
Old 04-02-2012, 05:43 PM   #15
SCOTI

Quote:
ok when i step notch my frame do i want to flip my trailing arm mount? and what is better bags over axle or the bags just in front of the axle? stock trailing arms....??
Which would allow the best clearance for your application?

Since it has a Panhard bar behind the axle, it's better to hang the bags off the front or directly above the rear end.

If attaching the bags directly to the axle (a 1:1 ratio), a sleeve type bag offers better ride quality. If the bags are attached to the truck arms in a different location vs stock (no longer a 1:1 ratio), the dbl convoluted bags are recommended.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 04-02-2012, 11:52 PM   #16
ooimpalaoo

ok thanx again i have the dbl convoluted now and just put them in a few night ago in the stock location...but i see lots of builds where the dbl convo bag is mounted to the axel but not on the top..looks like the add a mount to the front of the axel ..ill try and post pic of what im talking about
Attached Images

Old 04-03-2012, 12:11 AM   #17
SCOTI

Stock location = no longer 1:1 & dbl convoluted bags ride good.

Like in the pic above, that's a 1:1 ratio & is better suited for the sleeve type bag (Firestone F9000 series or similar) to get the best ride quality. The dbl convoluted bags can work, but they won't have the same ride quality as the sleeve & require more tuning to suit.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG