The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-13-2008, 02:39 PM   #1
SweTruck

Best handling for the buck/who can I trust?

Hi folks,

I´m getting kind of tired of my ´57 3100´s road manners. I have original I-beam and leafsprings. So I figure to do something about it!

Q: what do you feel achivies the best handling concering money/effort? Is swaybars enough to make it allright, or do I want to go all the way and install IFS?

Q: Who makes the best stuff. I`ll gladly pay extra money for something thats really good, concerning quality, safety, abillity to fit etc.

Thanks in advance!

Take care!

//B
SweTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 09:41 PM   #2
BIG CHEVY 3600
BIG CHEVY 3600 LONGBOX

Re: Best handling for the buck/who can I trust?

I have a Heidt's IFS that came with a sway bar. I went with Heidt's because they were the only mfg. that I heard no complaints about. They are the most expensive but I certainly wanted to get it right. Concerning sway bar only, I can say you should buy one and bolt it on and see the difference it makes. From what I've heard it makes a big difference in the ride.

http://s729.photobucket.com/albums/w...cpZZ3QQtppZZ20
BIG CHEVY 3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 11:38 AM   #3
CAL 58 GMC

IFS is the only way your going to get that car like ride and handling your looking for. There two way to get there. First is the Mustang II IFS as Big Chevy 3600 is talking about. There are several companies that manufacture kits, Heidt's & TCI are among the best. The second choice that was popular for many years and the least expensive why is to clip a Camaro or Nova sub-frame to your stock frame. Here in the United States there are wrecking yards full of these 70 to 81 Camaro’s to use as donors. But since you’re in Sweden they might be hard to find. Both ways are going to require fabricating & welding to install.

Last edited by CAL 58 GMC; 09-14-2008 at 11:40 AM.
CAL 58 GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 04:26 PM   #4
SweTruck

Hi all,

Thanks for the input!

I´ll probably go with an IFS, Possibly from heidt´s. The kits on the market are pretty much the same. As I understand the kit that comes from heidt´s is already painted and the crossmember welded together. That would save some time, which is good. The job itself dosen´t seem that hard.

A Camaro/nova donor wouldn´t be that hard to find. But then you´d also have to redo brakes/ ball joints and wash of 30 years old grease and dirt. It´s nice with new stuff obviously.

Take care

//B
SweTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 11:30 AM   #5
Atomsplitter

I've only had my '48 on the road for about 2 months now, it has an original OEM style Mustang II IFS and I find that because the centre of gravity is so high the body roll is excessive when cornering. I ordered a sway bar from "Yogi's" so we'll see how much of a difference it makes in a week or two. It can only get better.

It's Universal Anti-Sway Bar Kit made by Chassis Engineering P/N SB0050PM for the Heidt's Economy A-Arm IFS for $130. Yogi's replied to my e-mail question that it can be used on an OEM style Mustang II IFS (narrow lower A-Arms with support bars) and they guaranteed it would fit.

Good Luck!
Atomsplitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 11:09 AM   #6
1-ton of fun
polishing a turd

an ifs with proper spring rates and big sway bars can really handle well on a truck. i road race my DD truck from time to time, and it can hold it's own on a road course with mustang cobra's. i plan to go pretty stiff on my from springs, about 650 lb./in. springs with bilstein shocks on a nova clip.

also don't forget about tires. you can have the best brakes and suspension in the world, but with crappy hard tires, performance will be sub par.

53 buick special - straight 8 sled - blow through turbo
47 gmc - flatbed hot rod build
99 ford econoline e350 - 4x4 converted family roadtrip/overlanding rig AKA 'Monstervan' AKA 'Daddy-Van'
1-ton of fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 01:24 PM   #7
cameo

I know this thread is extinct, but I have a similar question.

Camero/bird/Nova clip or Heidt IFS kit?
Running a SBC daily driver, like I stole it, smokin the tires, highway driving, 1/4 mile Sundays, corner carver, ice cream getting truck.
What's the best way to go?
Least problems with stealing shaft? Do ineed power steering? If I'm not a total wimp? But will the wife be able to drive it without?.

Please help
Thanks
cameo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 01:26 PM   #8
cameo

Oops. Forgot to say...

1957 custom cab short box

Not sure on trans but planning leafs in the back
cameo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 02:16 PM   #9
mr48chev

Today for that truck I'd say look seriously at the front crossmember that Steve at Industrial Chassis in Phoenix is building that uses Dodge Dakota pieces. It's well engineered, uses fairly easy to get pieces and you don't end up having to spend hours on end making the nose of your truck fit the subframe or have a couple K tied up in a hub to hub kit.
http://www.industrialchassisinc.com/

Check this customer truck with his crossmember http://montys56truck.com/monty%27s56truck/

I'd contact him and see what he has to offer. I'm pretty well sure the crossmembers are built to order and he has no stockpile in the back room ready to ship though in case you are in a big hurry.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 04:15 PM   #10
G&R's57GMC

Check out http://www.nolimit.net

I have their wide ride IFS with air bags and their fat bar rear with a Currie 9" . I did this back in Dec. 2009.

Now for road handling and racing check out their Big 10 rolling chassis .
I would have gone that route at the time but it was just about to debut in 2010.
'56 Chevy Long Bed I6, 4 speed Bought 1990 Sold 8.22.2020
’56 GMC Suburban Pickup V8, 4 speed Hydramatic Bought 1996 Sold 10.11.2020
My Other Tinkerings http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...75#post8967275
G&R's57GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 06:35 PM   #11
Russell Ashley

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Scotts as a recommendation. http://www.scottshotrods.com/

First class products and you can call and Justin or Jeff will actually answer the phone. They also have a year end sale going on now.
Russell Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 12:16 AM   #12
_Ogre

I'd recommend the same thing today or the original 2008 thread post. You could try reading some of the threads in this forum. Many options and choices; and just as many opinions on how to do it.

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote