The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-22-2023, 04:28 PM   #26
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Re: Anyone use OC Auto Carpets? (Auto Custom Carpets)

Quote:
Originally Posted by samkost View Post
Just a follow up for everyone who orders an ACC Carpets kit for their C10/20/30’s
My carpet kit with mass backing came in and it is definitively a quality carpet.
I posted a question about the dimmer switch grommet being included.
Unfortunately I didn’t get one in the box.
I called ACC asking if the grommet is an included part of the kit and they said yes, it should have been.
One phone to them and they will send you a grommet.
Tip of the hat goes to ACC for great customer service.
Thanks all for your posts,
Sam
They're experiencing a run on GM trucks and the quest for a dimmer switch grommet He told me yesterday that if the original carpets had them these will too. They needed confirmation of my order, asking, does it really have the tall hump per my directions? Yes, I swear to it
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s details such as OEM identifications& part numbers, written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2023, 04:44 PM   #27
Speedracer39

How thick is the carpet you ordered with the mass backing on it?
Speedracer39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2023, 05:01 PM   #28
mr.mud1

Quote:
Just a follow up for everyone who orders an ACC Carpets kit for their C10/20/30’s
My carpet kit with mass backing came in and it is definitively a quality carpet.
I posted a question about the dimmer switch grommet being included.
Unfortunately I didn’t get one in the box.
I called ACC asking if the grommet is an included part of the kit and they said yes, it should have been.
One phone to them and they will send you a grommet.
Tip of the hat goes to ACC for great customer service.
Thanks all for your posts,
Sam
glad it all worked out.i was sure the grommet should be included and they'd look after you.
mr.mud1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2023, 05:34 PM   #29
samkost

Thanks again mr.mud1,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedracer39 View Post
How thick is the carpet you ordered with the mass backing on it?
Unsure how to measure the thickness compared to non backed.
I will say this though, the carpet is heavier/stiffer because of the heat molded rubberized mass backing. It has the jute padding also.
From all the info from many posts on this forum, everyone says the mass backing lays, forms well when installing and they say they are happy with it.
The added thickness offers better insulation and sound deadening.
Hope this answers your question.
Others may chime in,
Thanks
samkost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2023, 09:02 AM   #30
dmarty

I just bought a ACC floor mat made from the original style loop black carpet in my 72 GMC. My carpet is original and in pretty good shape so wanted something to protect it and look original. Very pleased with the quality of the product, but wish it had the vinyl protector patch on the drivers side so it would look like an original carpet.

99 Silverado 1500 LT with 315K miles
(RIP)

2012 GMC Sierra SLT
dmarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2023, 09:06 AM   #31
72c20customcamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarty View Post
I just bought a ACC floor mat made from the original style loop black carpet in my 72 GMC. My carpet is original and in pretty good shape so wanted something to protect it and look original. Very pleased with the quality of the product, but wish it had the vinyl protector patch on the drivers side so it would look like an original carpet.
Mine has the protective patch not sure why yours didn’t
Attached Images

1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2023, 09:18 AM   #32
dmarty

Mine was just a floor mat, not the full carpet, but I see no reason why they couldn't have the patch on the mat. IMHO it would look much better if it did.

(RIP)

2012 GMC Sierra SLT
Old 08-23-2023, 09:42 AM   #33
mr.mud1

the complete carpet sets come with the vinyl pad and the dimmer switch grommet,although we just heard of a fella that didn't get a grommet and had to call but the carpeted mat sets like i bought,don't have the vinyl pad,never did.did you buy a set of mats with the prickly backing meant to sit on top of the carpet?
Attached Images

mr.mud1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2023, 09:42 AM   #34
OneBad71

Just a question on the carpet length. I'm not running a gas tank inside.
Does the carpet go all the way to the back of the cab ?
Thank you
OneBad71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2023, 09:48 AM   #35
samkost

Yes they offer both style lengths of carpet.
With gas tank in the cab and and a longer carpet without (removed) tank.
Old 08-23-2023, 11:47 AM   #36
OneBad71

Quote:
Yes they offer both style lengths of carpet.
With gas tank in the cab and and a longer carpet without (removed) tank.
Thanks, Appreciate the reply !
Old 08-23-2023, 11:49 AM   #37
dmarty

I got the one piece mat with the rubber nibs on the back. Ordered through Factory Interiors and was surprised (and happy) to receive a mat from ACC as they have a good reputation in my experience. Was not given the option for a vinyl pad and on the ACC website it appears that they don't offer one. Here's a pic of my matt. Very happy with it other than no vinyl pad.
Attached Images

(RIP)

2012 GMC Sierra SLT
Old 08-23-2023, 12:54 PM   #38
samkost

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarty View Post
I got the one piece mat with the rubber nibs on the back. Ordered through Factory Interiors and was surprised (and happy) to receive a mat from ACC as they have a good reputation in my experience. Was not given the option for a vinyl pad and on the ACC website it appears that they don't offer one. Here's a pic of my matt. Very happy with it other than no vinyl pad.

Very nice,
That would be a great wear and tear option to offer a heel pad on the ACC floor mats.
My 1999 Silverado had that heel pad on the GM carpeted mats, it helps.
The one piece mat looks like it fits nicely over the trans hump and I would guess it adds a little more noise/heat insulation.
I still need to decide on mats for my C10.
Old 08-23-2023, 04:49 PM   #39
Mike_The_Grad

I've installed a few of the ACC carpet kits and one of their vinyl kits. The ACC kits are pretty well made and finished with a hemmed stitched wrap around the majority of the carpet kit. You have to trim where the door sill plates go. The carpet kits did come with the grommet. It was loose floating In the box and even under one of the flaps at the opposite end of the box end I cut open. So double check the entire box! So you have to cut the hole for the grommet. I just laid it out on the floor pan with dimmer switch installed into floor pan In stock location. And with NEW SHARP RAZOR knife I slit an X over the dimmer switch until I could just barely squeeze the switch through the carpet. This left 4 raised corners around the base of the switch. I lifted carpet off switching used sharp scissors or kitchen shears to basically connect the 4 corners and remove the 4 small triangles of material. Then squeeze grommet in that hole. Had to do a little trimming to center the grommet over the switch but it came out fine. Just trim little at a time and use good scissors for small amounts of material removal or a fresh new thin razor blade and something like a cutting board to have some leverage under the material. Or you might end up fraying and loosening up the carpet looking sloppy. Another really helpful tip for making holes through the carpet for mounting seats, seat belt bolts, or door sill screws is to use a hollow punch set, pair of vice grips, and blowtorch. Holding hollow punch with the vice grips, select appropriate size punch slightly larger than diameter or bolt or screw and heat it with the torch til red hot and pierce through the carpet completely and quickly. This leaves no frayed fibers or slits in the material. Just a nice melted clean hole that won't get caught in the threads of the fastener leading to a run in the carpet that you will instantly hate and want to walk away from. I also use sound deadner from Amazon. Foil backed butyl stuff. 25 Sq. Ft. Will do the entire floor pan and maybe some left over for kick panels or inside door shells. Or on or behind fuel tank or under dash.

Instagram: Mike_The_Grad
Mike_The_Grad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2023, 05:17 PM   #40
dmarty

Heating a hollow punch with a torch to make a hole is a great idea! Easy to make out of a piece of pipe or tube of the right size and hit it with a grinder.

(RIP)

2012 GMC Sierra SLT
Old 08-23-2023, 08:05 PM   #41
72c20customcamper

I don’t think GM put the seat brackets on top of the carpet . Every original example I have done mainly cars the carpet was cut to allow the seat bracket to sit directly on the floor . No matter how tight you make it the material will compress and the seat will become loose . The warm metal awl works great from the underside to locate the holes. The seat tracks I used to locate the and cut the holes were an extra pair I had
Attached Images

1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2023, 08:54 PM   #42
OneBad71

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72c20customcamper View Post
I don’t think GM put the seat brackets on top of the carpet . Every original example I have done mainly cars the carpet was cut to allow the seat bracket to sit directly on the floor . No matter how tight you make it the material will compress and the seat will become loose . The warm metal awl works great from the underside to locate the holes. The seat tracks I used to locate the and cut the holes were an extra pair I had
Thanks, good info to have !
Old 08-26-2023, 05:45 PM   #43
67RS/SSx2

I used them once. Won't make that same mistake again.

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=837320

The quality of the carpet seems good. There was no dimmer switch hole in the carpet, nor any grommet for it. The fitment of mine is not too good. I have the high hump with the mass backing. Carpet hangs over past the sill plates so I will have to trim it back to install those. Also fits loose over the transmission hump.

Also my matts said they were for a square body. Called them and they said they also fit 67-72. You would think that could be printed on the tag that came with the matts.
1972 Chevy C10 Cheyenne Super (sold)
1984 Chevy Silverado C20 crew cab (bought new by my uncle, in the family until I sold it)
67RS/SSx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2023, 06:42 PM   #44
knuckle-nurse

We just installed one in a 71 4x4 auto. Ordered black, loop, high hump, mass backing with gas tank from rock. The one we got was for a no gas tank install so we had to to trim the back. Also no dimmer gromet. It did fit very well and we did not have to trim for the sill plates. No wrinkles or loose areas. Very impressed.
knuckle-nurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2023, 07:23 PM   #45
OneBad71

I just ordered for my 71 C10 from rock auto because of the price and shipping cost. Direct from ACC was almost $100 more just for shipping ?
My question, on the high beam grommet. If I don't receive one in the box, do you call Rock Auto or ACC ?
I always prefer to order direct from a company, but when they are so much higher, you just have to look elsewhere.
Old 08-29-2023, 07:49 PM   #46
custom10nut

I’m following this because there is a lot of VERY useful information being shared.
One question I have is:
When installing the carpet with Mass Backing, can it be installed right onto Sound Deadener covering, or does it need additional padding?
Also, will I need to use Spray On Adhesive, or will the carpet stay in place with the seats and sill plates?
custom10nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2023, 08:32 PM   #47
knuckle-nurse

We removed all the old insulation. Our loop carpet had the mass backing option and fit perfect so we did not glue it at all....no need. This way it can removed down the line without destroying it.
knuckle-nurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2023, 10:17 AM   #48
1970cstblazer
All stock and staying that way

Lightbulb Re: Anyone use OC Auto Carpets? (Auto Custom Carpets)

I've used ACC carpets in several vehicles over the years. The only complaint I will throw in their direction is that the dyes they are using are not as durable as OEM. They fade far quicker than the original carpet sets. Fit and initial finish have been acceptable.
1970 K/5 Blazer CST 4WD, Bronze, 93k ACT. miles, 350, 4 speed, positraction, 16.5" x 8.25" wheel option, tilt, tach, vacuum, AM/FM, manual throttle...Dad ordered and purchased new 4/70. Currently frame off restoration in progress...

1972 Cheyenne Super 20 2WD, DK Blue/White, 90K ACT. miles, 402, TH400, 4.10 open, tilt, tach, vacuum, A/C, AM/FM, manual throttle.. A mostly original paint never rusted Texas survivor...

2017 Sierra 1500 SLT 4WD, Black, 41k miles, 5.3, 6L80E, 3.42 LS, 20" polished wheels, everything but moonroof and 6.2...

2019 Canyon SLT 4WD, White, 60k miles, 3.6, 8L45, 3.23 LS, 18" wheels
1970cstblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2023, 04:13 PM   #49
samkost

A mail box surprise today, the missing dimmer switch grommet from ACC.
Just call ACC directly and they will mail you the missing part and an informative product guide.
Great no questions asked customer service from ACC.
Sam
Attached Images

Old 08-31-2023, 02:43 PM   #50
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Installed their loomed tank cover. Simple really, the cover has 4-5 clips that slide onto the tank's top edge in the right places. It has a flap that fits inside the lower RH pocket. A flap next to it covers a jack. There's perhaps 4" more on the bottom than shown, seems you tuck the excess behind it to your heart's content, no cuts required perhaps, though I probably will make alterations. Seat belts will help hold it in place. It's made well, feels like a good weight for the task. The loom is in real good shape. Far superior insulation to the factory's fiber board, but then again, they aren't much of an insulator.

On some downside, one of these floor mats is frayed. Pending ACC. Update. ACC says that's normal, within industry standard and take a nail scissors to it.

OCAC was nice and asked my opinion of, and IMO, the mats are perfect everywhere else, the edge simply wasn't their best work or was damaged. No big, I'm not even sure I'll use the mats. They're full of rubber spikes underneath - hate to mess the flooring up, though they'd definitely stay in place. Update 2. OCAC would have arranged replacement short ACC's stocking fee and having to deal with UPS. It's not worth the effort.

For what worth, seems additional flooring is unnecessary with the mass backing. But I bought a sheet of "Aluminum Backed Aluminized Self Adhesive 12'' X 48’', Fiberglass Thermal Insulation Material High Temp Protection" to install above the RH exhaust manifold, where the factory installed a casting material. The sheet is very thin.
Attached Images

71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s details such as OEM identifications& part numbers, written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 09-28-2023 at 04:00 PM. Reason: Corrections
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote