The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-14-2023, 02:07 PM   #1
dmjlambert

under bed spare wheel hardware

I bought my 1969 CST/10 truck a spare wheel, which it hasn't had before in this century. It is a fairly narrow wheel. 15x6.5 5-lug rally steel wheel with one of my 225/75R15 tires from when I had drum brakes and 6-lug setup. My stock under bed spare carrier has slightly bent rods, but I don't think they are bent enough to affect whether the spare will fit or not. The threaded rod with nut do not come even close to going through the spare carrier. How narrow were the stock wheels? If I were to buy new threaded rods, are their choices of lengths or all the same?
I don't know if I want to have custom rods made, because a crank-type carrier from a more modern truck may be my next attempt to carry this spare.
Attached Images

dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2023, 03:47 PM   #2
Casper42

Re: under bed spare wheel hardware

I just replaced my spare tire, same dimensions as your tire, on the stock wheel. I presume my wheel is the same size as yours, though yours is a rally style. Yes, mine was a tight fit, but with the aid of a jack, as noticeable in your pic, I was able to get mine fastened. My rod was also bent slightly. Wish I could tell you more. Perhaps give it another try - force it.
Casper42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2023, 04:26 PM   #3
vics stuff

I would recommend that if you want to use that as a spare , I would go down to your local fastener store and get a longer bolt and weld it to a plate like the original is and use that set up. Also extend the bolt on the other end of the bracket.
Using a jack will make it difficult in retrieving the tire on the side of the road if you were to have a flat tire. Also i think with that much tension on the end of the tire bracket you could damage the recessed area where the nut seats.
Vic
vics stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2023, 05:16 PM   #4
cericd

As mentioned by Vic’s stuff, isn’t there a nut on the bolt at the other end of the spare carrier that can be loosened to allow the brace to open up more? Been a while since I messed with mine and it’s in storage back in Houston or I would check. Good luck.

My 1970 SWB C/10 - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=534872
cericd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2023, 08:11 PM   #5
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

I had the same problem when I replaced my skinny original 7.50-16 spare with a 255/85-16. I bought about a foot of 1/2" coarse all-thread and secured it at the top with flat washers & nuts. Worked perfectly.

EDIT: Forgot to mention -- I did the same thing for the bolt at the other end of the bracket -- 12" length of coarse thread 1/2" all-thread.

Can't recall, but I may have bought 2' long or even 3' long all-thread and cut to 12" lengths. At any rate, it's cheap & easy and works great.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay

Last edited by Stocker; 05-15-2023 at 12:08 PM.
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2023, 07:48 AM   #6
yuccales

I posted this several years ago. Still holding the spare just fine.

I'm not a big fan of the stock tire carrier. You could whip up something like I did on the cheap. I've got $20.00 something bucks invested in this. The winch came off a Mitsubishi truck. Some scrap metal, little welding, some bolts & nuts, and no more cussing the stock set-up! I set it up so the crank rod is on the passenger side of the truck. Painted the crank rod yellow so I can find it in the tool box. The safety cable was for peace of mind.
Attached Images

yuccales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2023, 10:02 PM   #7
CKfan

I happen to be switching to different size rims and tires and have an open spare carrier to photo.

The driver's side bolt is about 10" long and the passenger's side bolt is about 9" from my measurements.

I had a stock 15" spare under the truck that I have pictured here and you can see on the D/S I had plenty of adjustment to lower the drivers side. On the P/S you can see the light colored discoloration is where the adjustment was with tire installed.

I have always been told to use a jack to push the spare up and a jack to release it. Sure don't won't to be responsible for my spare flying through the guy following's windshield.

Hope the pictures help
Attached Images

CKfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2023, 10:36 PM   #8
Casper42

Smile Re: under bed spare wheel hardware

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKfan View Post

I have always been told to use a jack to push the spare up and a jack to release it. Sure don't won't to be responsible for my spare flying through the guy following's windshield.

Hope the pictures help
YUP, exactly why I said "force it" in my own previous post. I to, used my jack to push it up.
Casper42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2023, 11:18 AM   #9
697498chevy

Just measured my bolts and they're also about 9" and 10" . Took my carrier off years ago . Just happened to run across it a few days ago . Just leave my spare in the bed of my old truck . Wife and I heard a Boom a few days ago . Next day I found my 20 year old spare had blown apart . Time for a new tire . Thanks
697498chevy is offline   Reply With Quote