The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Info Center > Review Board > Vendor Reviews

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-22-2005, 03:59 PM   #1
yrracing79

Cottman Trans #2 (complaint)

I went to Cottman Transmission in Randolph Ma. and told the guy that I wanted him to check my tranny for not shifting. I told him that I was not sure it was the trans it might be the computer or a wireing problem. He called me back 3 hours later and told me it was deffinately the trans because it brought up alot of codes. I told him that maybe I should get one from a salvage yard and he told me "don't do that it might not be that expensive to fix" then proceeded to tell me it was going to cost $325 to tear down and open it up. I said ok (I know a bell should have went off in my head but it didn't) so he called me the next day and told me that the bands and selanoids and even the converter was gone (coinsedently that is was came up for codes). He went on to tell me that they have these two deals one costing $1,995 and the other one was $2,495. I said I could buy a new one for that and he said"well you could but you are already into him for $325 (another words we got ya). I told him there was no way I could pay that so I called a salvage yard and bought one for $600 and brought it to him. He then ripped me off again saying that it was going to cost me another $75 to put it in even though I payed him $325 to pull the other one and re-install it. He called me a few days later and told me that the truck was done and I could come get it. I picked up the truck and asked him where the other tranny was and he said it was still apart but he would put it back together and I could get it next week. About 5 days later the new tranny was doing the same thing and I still haven't heard from him yet so I stopped by. He told me that maybe the new tranny was broken also (kinda funny that the new tranny could have the exact same problem huh). He told me the old tranny was still not put together yet but it would be done the end of the week or beginning of the next. Finnaly 4 weeks after I picked up the truck they had the old tranny back together. I told him that I wanted my money back because the new tranny was doing the same thing and if I unplugged the computer it worked for about 4 or 5 days and then it would stop shifting again so it was not the tranny and the old one must have been fine. His response to me was "then you must have a wireing problem"......(didn't I tell him this when I walked in to begin with). He continued to tell me that he was a tranny shop and he was not giving me my money back. I called their corporate offices and they said that there was nothing they could do. I also asked why they had so many torque converters in a pile in the shop when thay don't break very often and he said to me" if you are going to fix/replace the tranny you might as well replace the tourqe converter also" A converter is expensive and would drasticly bring the price down if you put the old one back in but they believe in just replacing everything instead of just fixing what is needed. My summation is that when you go to Cottman that instantly try to sell you one of thier package deals instead of just fixing the problem. I hope that people read this before going there I wish I would have.
yrracing79 is offline   Reply With Quote