The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-27-2012, 04:30 PM   #26
mcbassin
Still Learning

Re: Original Bucket seats installation????

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 TT View Post
Nice work Mike. Very clean.

I would add a cross support similar to stock.

I am concerned the center of the floor isn't designed for the load of the central seat mounts and would stretch out or crack over time if left unsupported.
You really think it's necessary or just extra insurance? That rib that runs across the front is pretty stiff just by design. I would like to fab one up, I have already thrown a bunch of time at this though. I will look at it tonight.
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 04:48 PM   #27
Classic Bowties
Always on the hunt...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbassin View Post
You really think it's necessary or just extra insurance?
Hey Mike, judging by your pics, you are already well above and beyond the under side bracing found on most of the bucket converted truck cabs that I have seen. What about the question I had asked you in post #23? Mel
Classic Bowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 06:28 PM   #28
71blksuper4x4
SWB 4x4 Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeduk8r View Post
Great thread!!! Been looking for this info layed out like this for a long time. Im wondering if there would be a market for a kit that would supply the tabs, cross support, and paper template for the conversion???? I dont have the manufacturing capability to make the parts (press brakes are way to cheap) but if someone does maybe might be an opportunity.
--Mike
Hey Mike, member "Duncan & Son" already reproduce the brackets for underneath the cab. The only piece not reproduced is the big middle brace. Trevor
1971 Cheyenne Super 4x4 swb (tilt,tach,buckets, original blue shoulder belts,am/fm,cruise,tow hooks, dealer 8 track)
1972 Cheyenne Super K20 4x4 Custom Camper (tilt, tach, am/fm, tow hooks, bed toolbox, aux gas tank
1972 Cheyenne Super Crew Cab K30 4x4 Duramax, Allison, np205, buckets, tow hooks (CURRENT PROJECT)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=624819
1989 V3500 Crew Cab (454tbi, NV4500, np205)
1970 Chevelle SS (LS5 454,th400,8track,buckets,tach)
:2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon (daily driver)

WTB: 1968-70 Cruise Control Lever
71blksuper4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 07:07 PM   #29
chevytruckluver
Eat, Sleep, Drive a Chevy

nice work Mike
I am going to keep this one for future refrence

72 Short Step
57 "big window" short step
chevytruckluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:38 PM   #30
chipflyer

I will add that the big middle brace can be found and removed from any early blazer, got mine from teeitup. Randy usually cuts them out when he parts out a blazer. If you get this piece you can use it as a template to drill the front holes in the correct location and then either use panel adhesive or weld it in. This piece really takes all the guess work out of where the holes should be.

Jeff
Posted via Mobile Device

1971 Cheyenne Super K10 - tilt, cruise, air, am/fm, tow hooks, factory buckets!
1986 Jeep J10 pickup, - 5.3L Vortec with 4L60e and NP241.
chipflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:43 PM   #31
71blksuper4x4
SWB 4x4 Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipflyer View Post
I will add that the big middle brace can be found and removed from any early blazer, got mine from teeitup. Randy usually cuts them out when he parts out a blazer. If you get this piece you can use it as a template to drill the front holes in the correct location and then either use panel adhesive or weld it in. This piece really takes all the guess work out of where the holes should be.

Jeff
Posted via Mobile Device
Funny story Jeff, down at the Wichita swap meet I tried telling roger that he didn't have all the brackets for a bucket seat swap and tried to tell him and ron about the big cross member Brace. They acted like I had no idea what I was talking about. Can't fool truck board members.
Posted via Mobile Device
1971 Cheyenne Super 4x4 swb (tilt,tach,buckets, original blue shoulder belts,am/fm,cruise,tow hooks, dealer 8 track)
1972 Cheyenne Super K20 4x4 Custom Camper (tilt, tach, am/fm, tow hooks, bed toolbox, aux gas tank
1972 Cheyenne Super Crew Cab K30 4x4 Duramax, Allison, np205, buckets, tow hooks (CURRENT PROJECT)

Old 03-27-2012, 09:13 PM   #32
Zoomin
Man of Mini-Talents

Hey Mike,

On mine, I used the outside front holes and then marked the locations with a Sharpie so I would have the locations exactly right with these seats. In the process of drilling I noticed the dimples that others have seen.

Anyway, I went ahead and used the outside fronts as they would be more secure than what I rigged up, and the console just barely touches the seats at the front corners. Not snug at all. *shrug*
Zoomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 09:50 PM   #33
litew8

NICE work mcbassin!
Old 03-27-2012, 10:52 PM   #34
teeitup
Just like to part out trucks!!

Trevor, Ron is coming up here Wed evening, I'll make climb under this BB truck of mine and see the front bracket, that way he can tell Roger
1958 Cameo (one of 1405 built, it was my dads)
2020 chevy Apex 4x4 crew cab
1969 Z28 with the 302
1980 chevy swb 4x4
1964 chevell Malibu SS
1976 K20, sold new originally out of my dads chevy dealership

Members that I've met, over 200 probably closer to 300 in the 12 years I've been on this site, everyone I met "It was a pleasure"
teeitup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:21 PM   #35
mcbassin
Still Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Bowties View Post
Hey Mike, judging by your pics, you are already well above and beyond the under side bracing found on most of the bucket converted truck cabs that I have seen. What about the question I had asked you in post #23? Mel
Thanks for the confirmation Mel. I went ahead and coated the whole bottom of the floor with POR-15 tonight.

About that question, no there were no dimples for the seat, however there were dimples that lined up good on the consoles. They were almost like the center punch marks you see on the high hump covers.
Old 03-27-2012, 11:30 PM   #36
mcbassin
Still Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71blksuper4x4 View Post
Hey Mike, member "Duncan & Son" already reproduce the brackets for underneath the cab. The only piece not reproduced is the big middle brace. Trevor
Thanks Trevor I wasn't aware anyone reproduced them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevytruckluver View Post
nice work Mike
I am going to keep this one for future refrence
Thanks, I looked all over on here for this info, found pieces but not exactly what I was looking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipflyer View Post

Jeff
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks for the info. You never can know too much about these trucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomin View Post
Hey Mike,

On mine, I used the outside front holes and then marked the locations with a Sharpie so I would have the locations exactly right with these seats. In the process of drilling I noticed the dimples that others have seen.

Anyway, I went ahead and used the outside fronts as they would be more secure than what I rigged up, and the console just barely touches the seats at the front corners. Not snug at all. *shrug*
Steve, my passenger side was just touching but the driver side was scrunched up against the console. Also, the inside mount hit the tunnel. This may be because my bracket got tweaked a little at some point? I don't know? But the driver side seat just didn't sit right in my cab. No dimples for the seat but console yes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by litew8 View Post
NICE work mcbassin!
Thanks.
Old 03-28-2012, 12:51 AM   #37
68 TT
Still plays with trucks

Quote:
You really think it's necessary or just extra insurance? That rib that runs across the front is pretty stiff just by design. I would like to fab one up, I have already thrown a bunch of time at this though. I will look at it tonight.
I think it is if you plan to drive the truck on a regular basis. I have seen a few trucks that were converted to buckets in the wrecking yard and the floors were stretched & cracked at the "new" bolt holes.

You would think if buckets would work safely without it the factory would have left the floor pans alone and not added the bracing to it.
68 Camaro SS / RS 500hp 439 inch roller cam big block 4L80E
79 Malibu TPI 350 4L60 w/ Z28 steering & sway bars
68 TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 01:15 AM   #38
screaminchevypickup
Laid Back

Looks good mike!! I think you have more than enough bracing!!
Posted via Mobile Device

Direct dealers for..

Vintage Air, Porterbuilt, Billet Specialties,Budnik wheels ,eddie motorsports, raceline wheels, intro wheels, Dakota Digital, precision, unisteer, Trimparts, and many many more... Laid Back Recreations.. Full restoration shop and full paint and body..

Kyle

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=574629
screaminchevypickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 11:29 PM   #39
Zoomin
Man of Mini-Talents

Start spinning off some sets Mike. The line forms behind me, guys.
Posted via Mobile Device
Zoomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 08:57 AM   #40
Duncan and son

Quote:
Hey Trevor, we have made some of those and they came out very correct even down to the square nuts. We only made a few to test quality etc. Do not have any now but will have more made.
Always appreciate you Paul
1975 Silverado 454 Crew cab camper special dually
Duncan and son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 11:53 AM   #41
Lee H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan and son View Post
Hey Trevor, we have made some of those and they came out very correct even down to the square nuts. We only made a few to test quality etc. Do not have any now but will have more made.
I'll take a set once you have them. Thanks, Lee

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My frame off restoration thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703
Lee H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 12:07 PM   #42
7dee2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan and son View Post
I am very interested in a set as well.

As per my PM (thought I would post so everyone would get the answer):

Time frame you are looking at for the next batch?

Did you guys reproduce the big bracket or all the small ones or both?

Thanks,
72 Cheyenne/K30 Super 133" DRW SOLD Build:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=645614
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@6dee7-7dee2
7dee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 12:15 PM   #43
68 IRON

Subscribed...I'm gonna need this info too
68 IRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 05:57 PM   #44
71blksuper4x4
SWB 4x4 Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7dee2 View Post
I am very interested in a set as well.

As per my PM (thought I would post so everyone would get the answer):

Time frame you are looking at for the next batch?

Did you guys reproduce the big bracket or all the small ones or both?

Thanks,
To answer this question, they reproduced the smaller spot weld-in brackets. There is no way to cheaply recreate the bigger brace. Only find them used. I got a couple sets from them, I can dig them out and snap pics if needed. Trevor

Original Poster- I am sorry for straying away from your intended thread. You did a wonderful job with your brackets, and your work looks really clean and has a factory type quality. Trevor

Old 03-29-2012, 10:26 PM   #45
68 TT
Still plays with trucks

Quote:
...There is no way to cheaply recreate the bigger brace. Only find them used.
We looked at that at work last night as well and came to the same conclusion. The factory single piece design can only be produced by stamping out the part. Not easy to duplicate with typical small shop sheet metal fabrication tools.

We could make it in several pieces and weld it together but a used part from a Blazer would be less expensive.

We are looking into an alternate method of bracing the front seat mount points. What we have in mind would be quick & easy with inexpensive materials that could be installed by anybody who can install a rocker panel.
Old 03-29-2012, 11:35 PM   #46
mcbassin
Still Learning

Quote:
Original Poster- I am sorry for straying away from your intended thread. You did a wonderful job with your brackets, and your work looks really clean and has a factory type quality. Trevor
No sweat Trevor, that's what this board is all about. i.e. I try to learn at least a few new things every day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 TT View Post
We looked at that at work last night as well and came to the same conclusion. The factory single piece design can only be produced by stamping out the part. Not easy to duplicate with typical small shop sheet metal fabrication tools.

We could make it in several pieces and weld it together but a used part from a Blazer would be less expensive.

We are looking into an alternate method of bracing the front seat mount points. What we have in mind would be quick & easy with inexpensive materials that could be installed by anybody who can install a rocker panel.
I had the same thoughts about fabbing that bracket out of multiple pieces. Honestly I think it will be plenty strong the way I did it. One thing that's kinda strange, the bench seat truck can get almost double the weight on a smaller area of contact. I have seen many of these trucks with a bench seat haul four people including my 70.

Last edited by mcbassin; 03-29-2012 at 11:52 PM.
Old 03-29-2012, 11:45 PM   #47
jocko

I am interested in a set of braces as well if/when you get around to making some more Duncan and Son. What a great thread - thanks mcbassin
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 12:41 AM   #48
sameyrasmea72

pics !!!!
Attached Images

Old 03-30-2012, 01:00 PM   #49
7dee2

Excellent
72 Cheyenne/K30 Super 133" DRW SOLD Build:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=645614
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@6dee7-7dee2
7dee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 10:18 PM   #50
68 TT
Still plays with trucks

Quote:
I had the same thoughts about fabbing that bracket out of multiple pieces. Honestly I think it will be plenty strong the way I did it. One thing that's kinda strange, the bench seat truck can get almost double the weight on a smaller area of contact. I have seen many of these trucks with a bench seat haul four people including my 70.
It's not the point load on the floor that is the problem it is the distance from the structural areas at the perimeter that is the problem. The outer and rear mount points are close to the strongest part of the floor at the perimeter structure so they aren't a problem.

It is the center mounts at the front near the cutout for the high hump tunnel cover as they are as far as you can get from a structural member. Lots of span makes for lots of flex under load. These two are the ones to worry about.